Wanted FJ40 Power Steering Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
ISO 1979 Toyota FJ40 Power Steering gear box. In the process of replacing the manual steering box to an OEM power steering box that requires no modification to the steering box bracket or steering column/rod.

I probably have everything you need. What engine are you running? I have pump, box, and mounting braket. Do you have the pulleys?

The power steering column is shorter than manual one. That requires shortening to add power steering.
Are you sure? The 1979 FJ40 was the first offer power steering was an option. From what I have been able to determine, the Power steering gear box will mount directly to the existing manual steering bracket. The steering rod/rag joint lines up with the new power steering gear box to couple the two together.

Are you sure? The 1979 FJ40 was the first offer power steering was an option. From what I have been able to determine, the Power steering gear box will mount directly to the existing manual steering bracket. The steering rod/rag joint lines up with the new power steering gear box to couple the two together.
Welcome to Ih8mud!

If "living in the past" makes a comment on your task, you can take his word for it. He is one if the most knowlegable mud members out there.

Cheers
KevO

I probably have everything you need. What engine are you running? I have pump, box, and mounting braket. Do you have the pulleys?
I think I just need the Power Steering box that bolts up directly to the manual steering box bracket for the 1979 FJ40. I have the power steering pump, pulley belt already installed. Based on some recent discussions on IH8Mud, I may have to shorten the existing steering rod. Also not sure if I need to install a power steering cooler. I am trying to keep this as close to original as possible.

I think I just need the Power Steering box that bolts up directly to the manual steering box bracket for the 1979 FJ40. I have the power steering pump, pulley belt already installed. Based on some recent discussions on IH8Mud, I may have to shorten the existing steering rod. Also not sure if I need to install a power steering cooler. I am trying to keep this as close to original as possible.
Ok I have a ps box available. Sounds like you have mostly everything else. Yes, you can buy some SS hard lines and build a pressure/cooler line and run it along the frame and underneath the radiator to the PS pump. The flex houses with fittings are available at your local auto parts store.

Yes " living in the past " is giving you good advice if your rig was not a PS spec to begin with. You will need to shorter your column. There are threads on this. Or find a used one.

there was a repro of the cooler tube made, I don't remember who made it tho.

you can shorten the steering shaft or space it out into the cab

Sorry, the engine is stock 2F engine.

Ok I have a ps box available. Sounds like you have mostly everything else. Yes, you can buy some SS hard lines and build a pressure/cooler line and run it along the frame and underneath the radiator to the PS pump. The flex houses with fittings are available at your local auto parts store.

Yes " living in the past " is giving you good advice if your rig was not a PS spec to begin with. You will need to shorter your column. There are threads on this. Or find a used one.
Thanks, What is the cost for the ps box? I assume it will bolt up directly to the existing manual steering bracket without further modification? Also how much of an effort is it to shorten the steering shaft? Should I have a machine shop do that fabrication?

Thanks, What is the cost for the ps box? I assume it will bolt up directly to the existing manual steering bracket without further modification? Also how much of an effort is it to shorten the steering shaft? Should I have a machine shop do that fabrication?
Yes it will bolt right up. The cutting and fab depends on your skills. I had someone with expertise help me. There are threads on this, so ill find them and send you pics through PM.

Yes it will bolt right up. The cutting and fab depends on your skills. I had someone with expertise help me. There are threads on this, so ill find them and send you pics through PM.
Appreciate all the help. If you can send me a picture of the power steering box and what the cost is that would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of sending a power steering box back, I bought off of eBay, but wasn't as advertised to fit my 1979 FJ40.

Appreciate all the help. If you can send me a picture of the power steering box and what the cost is that would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of sending a power steering box back, I bought off of eBay, but wasn't as advertised to fit my 1979 FJ40.
Check your messages. I sent you a PM.

Screenshot_20240212-143340_Gallery.jpg

I just posted a pic. Reference it with the box you purchased on fleaBay..

You should definitely run some sort of a Ps cooler. Your PS pump generates fluid pressure. A byproduct of pressure is ALWAYS heat. You have to have a way to dissipate that heat and keep the system cool. Otherwise, you will drastically reduce life expectancy of the pump and box.

You will have to shorten your power steering column, not the steering linkage. The power steering box is an inch and a half longer ( towards the firewall ) than the mechanical box.

Hope that helps.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

PS: we have a couple of 40 series power steering boxes in stock as well. Both left and right hand drive.

The ps pump bracket in the pic is not for a 2F
Thanks for the insight George. I have a box full of brakets and assumed this was the proper (passanger side mount) he needed. Any idea what this set up is then?
Screenshot_20240214-083210_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for the insight George. I have a box full of brakets and assumed this was the proper (passanger side mount) he needed. Any idea what this set up is then? View attachment 3557978

That’s for a carb’s 3F. Typically found on CA and SA cruisers. Mostly 70-series.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom