FJ40 Mechanic in Arizona (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've replaced the entire braking system on a 71. 78's got front disc, right?
Tons easier to work on.
What do you need done?
The work isn't difficult to do yourself. It's just time consuming.

Thanks for the tip. I just got a 1975 actually, and I am not that familiar with drum brakes. I can work on disc brakes though, usually with the help of a friend.

tucson:

smog and engine mechanical : Bill Lee (far east end o Broadway)

drivetrain (non DIY) Tim Hill/Bill in Marana

what do you need?

Thanks for the mechanic info rick_d. Can you send the contact info to me for Bill Lee.

I have owned this FJ60 for 6 months. Bought it for $4200 with a bad rear, but pretty much all else in seemed to be in great condition. Got the rear end fixed and ARBed right away. :)

It ran great for the first month, but has been degrading since then, but only when cold. Now the power curve drops off hard at about 1800 rpms, but it gets better as it warms up - that is, the engine speed where the power curve drops, increases as it gets warmer. After 30 minutes of driving it seems fine. But it is only about a 20 minute trip to work.

As of a few weeks ago, it had an exhaust leak somewhere around the manifold.

Last weekend I finished up replacing the front motor mounts. Half way through the job I realized that I needed to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold to get the front of the engine high enough to get the new mounts in.

It's all back together again, but the exhaust leak sounds worse and is obviously between the exhaust pipe and manifold, but it may also be between the manifold and the head.

Anyway, the last few fill ups have been giving me between 7 and 9 mpg.

I have a new doughnut gasket for the exhaust pipe to manifold connection, but I don’t want to waste my time with it if the catalytic converter is clogged and it’s just going to blow the doughnut gasket out again.

If there is a leak on the head side of the manifold, I’m going to let an expert take care of it. I definitely need help getting the gas mileage up a bit.

I'll likely be doing the oil pan gasket this weekend -thanks to all for your tips on this in other threads.

-Brad

Brett and Cary's in Tempe on mckellips and Mclintock. Cary is the guy you want to talk to. HE knows everything there is to know about land cruisers. He has worked on my fj60 numerous times. Good prices also. phone number 480-921-7375. He'll help you out with as much as you can throw at him.

dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom