FJ40 Hone-O-Drive Overdrive-Information Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and need some help. I purchased a 64’ & 71’ Landcruiser FJ40 and also received a extra transmission/transfer case with what I’m told is a rare Hone-O-Drive overdrive unit. Overdrive unit is not labeled Hone-O-Drive like other units I found online. Has the numbers 2962 on main housing, 4001 on tail end and A4118 on linkage circle. Can anyone confirm what this is and model. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks, Drew

D0AE380C-DF33-45A7-8462-1C8B57CF65C7.jpeg

0B36CDBD-7060-4CCE-BAC5-E0BE70CA0C26.jpeg

26EBE654-6118-4DCE-A800-83032B029D93.jpeg

I have had a few of these. Does’nt appearto be a hone? I gave @daniel.watters an owners manual for a hone, maybe he can check for you. He has one too, it might be a hone, but dont remember.

Looks like my hone o drive. Not sure about the part covering the shaft? I’ll check tomorrow.

Looks like my hone o drive. Not sure about the part covering the shaft? I’ll check tomorrow.

If your talking about the output shaft looks the the stock Toyota rear bearing retainer with the speedometer and threaded holes for the hand brake backing plate..

1. With a Hone, the odds are 5 to 1 the unit is damaged and not serviceable.
2. The ridiculously long unit severely compromises rear driveshaft length IN AN FJ40, and compromises driveshaft angle even more.
3. The driveshaft angle puts a tortional load on the Hone that accelerates its demise.

GLWT

1. With a Hone, the odds are 5 to 1 the unit is damaged and not serviceable.
2. The ridiculously long unit severely compromises rear driveshaft length IN AN FJ40, and compromises driveshaft angle even more.
3. The driveshaft angle puts a tortional load on the Hone that accelerates its demise.

GLWT
I disagree, the Bone-O-Drive is a part of Land Cruiser history, like Man-A-Free and Downy, and to a certain extent SOR. And if you can find a complete one, I think it should be part of a restoration. Of course they have limitations….but so did the original rig. There are several mud members that still have working examples and they should be acknowledged as keeping the myth alive.

Bee Good

I also have a PDF copy of the manual if you need one.
Mark,
Thank you for the info. and pictures. Can you tell me what model Hone-O-Drive I have and what this unit is worth in good used condition or parts? I don’t believe I will be using this and am tired of moving it. Thanks, Drew

Mark,
Thank you for the info. and pictures. Can you tell me what model Hone-O-Drive I have and what this unit is worth in good used condition or parts? I don’t believe I will be using this and am tired of moving it. Thanks, Drew
Hi Drew,

Just the overdrive disassemble from the transfer case plus the extended transfer case output saft (requires transfer case disassembly) AND If the planetary gears aren’t damaged, I’d say around $600 maybe $750. If you include the transmission, and transfer case assembly maybe another 3 to $400. If the condition of the plannetary gears are unknown, e.g. buyer beware….then it’s basically scrap. Your gonna have to disassemble and inspect to get top dollar.

Have you drained to oil from this unit, was there any metal or worse…water?

If you want to sell, PM me.

Bee Good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom