FJ40 headliner replacement options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the search - not much on this subject other than a helpful tip on an alternative source for stock-style headliner material (Acme Headliner 213-437-0061). I haven't called these folks but was wondering if anyone has bought their headliner material and what do you think about it?

Also I'm interested in some other alternatives - such as, a fellow cruiser addict has used marine grade plush cut pile carpet - it has a dense closed cell foam backing built right in -- it doesn't look stock but looks good (more like a newer car's headliner) and it's thicker - he tells me that the noise level is down substantially when it rains as compared to the stock headliner in the top. Plus, being marine grade - it won't hurt it to get it wet.

Would be interested in other helpful ideas and any pics of completed replacement projects if possible. For instance - has anyone 'dyed' their dingy headliner back to life and reinstalled it? What did you use?
Thanks.

CrewzerDog:

Is Acme the company that sells the full width/length original style headliner, if so I've been looking for weeks for that info...where did you find it ?

I know someone who has dirty lime green shag carpet for a headliner, I was thinking a dirty pink shag carpet would be nice too. Good sound dampening qualities too.

I'm having the inside of my roof panel coated with spray-on bed liner, Rhino lining, Line-X, etc. It won't be that cushy but it will be tougher that just about anything else.

The PO replaced the headliner in mine with what appears to be a marine-grade, low-pile carpet. Looks great, and airborne coke explosions come out just fine (don't ask.).

Eric Goebeler has a fine looking 40 with what looks like that carpet that comes on speaker boxes. Low cut pile grey nylon. Looks great.

I have also had this email saved from the big list forever. It might as well be archived here because my 40 will never have a top on it again. Not gonna fit with the new cage. It'll be done and in tomorrow. :D

--- Overton@aol.com wrote:
> Hey there fellow Cruiser fans:
>
> OK, they may not be secrets but... In my humble
> attempt to restore some
> Cruisers here and there I have come across two
> sources that may save some of
> you some money.
>
> Headliners - If your replacing your headliner,
you
> can pay $119.00 for it or
> if you want to save some dough on the SAME foam
> backed perforated material
> all the Cruiser folks sell - HERE is the source
for
> it. - You will need 4
> yards and someone to sew two pieces togthers,
but
> it's less than $9 a yard.
>
> Acme Headliner
> 550 West 16th, Long Beach, CA 90813
> 213-437-0061
>
> Seat Belts - I don't know about you but I
thought
> $140 per side was a little
> expensive. If yours are old and tired and you
want
> to put in new shoulder
> harness ($70.00 ea) or lap belts for the jump
seats
> ($15.00 a pair) try:
>
> Andover Automotive,Inc
> P.O. Box 2651WS
> Columbia,Maryland 21045
> For Questions/Assistance:
> Call:(410)381-6700
> Fax:(410)381-6703
>
> Happy Cruising
> Greg

All thanks to Greg for his research. :cheers:

Just about forgot. The headline I put in my bug resto this summer came from acme through a different company. $22. Gotta like it.

while we're on the subject of headliners...anybody have a great way of adhering them...i've tried a couple different (namebrand) spray adhesives and they suck as soon as it gets warm out.

i bet liquid nails would hold it up nicely. but it would stink like hell for a day or two.

3M has a really good spray adhesive. Thanks for posting up those addresses. I need both the headliner and lap belts for the jump seats.

[quote author=Pinion link=board=1;threadid=6213;start=msg50228#msg50228 date=1066055925]
3M has a really good spray adhesive. Thanks for posting up those addresses. I need both the headliner and lap belts for the jump seats.
[/quote]

btdt...fell down when it got warm. so did permatex

Hey, new user here, I have seen the seat belt set through CCOT for $144.95 for a set of 4. Just for whoever needs them. Great posts on this site, I definetly will be a regular soon.

:cheers:

offchamber40 (Mike) - I contacted CruiserSolutions and should be receiving a sample soon - will update everyone accordingly. Its suppose to be seamless - from their description it sounds more like plush carpet without a foam backing.. Thanks for the tip. Stay tuned...
Also, as far as adhesive goes - the 3M spray adhesive has worked similar projects and that's what the CruiserSolutions guys suggested as well.

Old thread revival.

ACME Headliners in Long Beach is no longer supplying the retail market. After talking with Bob for a while, he was willing to sell me a headliner for.....$199! (Not including shipping.)

After a quick shock from a handy nearby defibrillator, I told Bob that I'd look elsewhere. I see that SOR has the deluxe headliner on sale for $135 and CCOT's price is $144.

I used indoor/outdoor carpet form Home Depot about 6 years ago. Took off the whole cap and used carpet adhesive. I put the cap upside down so I could work on it. DO it on your lawn so you don't crack the fiberglass. It works like a charm and other cruiser heads think it is a professional linning. No bubbles or any blemishes. COst about 30 bucks.

I have seen the SOR head liner and not a bit impressed with the quality, given what’s available from the pros
Any auto upholstery supply house can fix you up with a wide range of options and padding. J & J Auto Upholstery in Rialto, CA probably has 50 different patterns and colors. Two yards will do the job. $7.95 per yard X 2 plus one can of Dan Tac @ 10.95 plus tax = $ 29.13 out the door. This is for 3/16" foam backed head liner. Other OEM options are also available. If you don’t live in the LA Basin and suffer from CARB, rules you can get a can of DAP – just go over the hill and it is legal to buy and use.
Email or call Joe junior at jjfab@linkline.com or 909 874 3040 and tell him that Mitch at Coastline Cover Company sent you.
If they are geographically undesirable, any auto upholstery shop will have the sample books and will order it for you and, assist with the install if you want. Just take them the clean top and the labor won’t be much; they work cheap these days. Make it look the way you want.

Interesting suggestion, thank you.

I'm trying to keep this build as OEM as possible.

It honeslty looks better than the SOR kit I have seen. OEM is nice, just hard to find origional or good reproductions. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom