fj40 Gas Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where does item 40 lead to? I am assuming item 46 plugs those three lines onto the three leads from the tank, correct?

And item 56 are the main lines leading to the engine, right? One to the engine, and one return line, correct?

Where does item 40 lead to? I am assuming item 46 plugs those three lines onto the three leads from the tank, correct?

And item 56 are the main lines leading to the engine, right? One to the engine, and one return line, correct?

I'm not sure that item 40 is anything but a check valve. My 40 is an 8/78 and does not have item 40. I'm assuming that you meant item 45 not 46. Item 45 is attached to the three ports on the tank with 1/4" fuel line. Again, someone else will have to speakup about item 56, the fuel suction tube, as my tank does not use one. The picture of item 56 shows two external ports. I assume that one is for return and the other one for supply.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that item 40 is anything but a check valve. My 40 is an 8/78 and does not have item 40. I'm assuming that you meant item 45 not 46. Item 45 is attached to the three ports on the tank with 1/4" fuel line. Again, someone else will have to speakup about item 56, the fuel suction tube, as my tank does not use one. The picture of item 56 shows two external ports. I assume that one is for return and the other one for supply.

Thanks for the reply. If your rig doens't have item 40, then where does that line lead to off of your vapor return manifold? Is the line just stubbed back into the tank with no check valve? And please excuse my ignorance, but what does a check valve do anyways? I plan on going with a TBI on my SBC so I will need to utilize both the main suction line and the return line. My main concern revovles around the vapor return system, and it's function.

Thanks again guys.
Chris

My '74 (October '74) had an Item #40.

I got it from C-Dan at the cost of ~32.60$. It is a fuel check valve. It mounts between the hardline going to the charcoal canister and the fuel separator.

It is Toyota P/N 90917-10012

I have also heard you can buy a "generic" fuel check valve at NAPA for about $6 that does the same thing.

The body of my old chuck valve had cracked, and that was where my "gas vapor in the cab" fuel smell was coming from.

Be carefull when removing / connecting lines to that plastic fuel separator. BSEvans has an nice replacement (and certainly worth what he paid for it), but $0R wants something outrageous ($45) for those cheesy plastic fuel separators that they pull out of scrapped 40's. I would feel really ripped off if I had to pay $45 for one of those.

Rocky
Rocky

I have a 76 40 that was desmoged by the previous owner. I am putting the fuel lines back together and I can't remember how they were set up. My problem is I don't know what to do with the fuel line that is on top of the plastic separator. I have a canister but that's were all stops. Any ideas on what to do with this line? I believe that's the vapor return line that goes to the canister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom