FJ leaning to one side, suggestions to fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HFS Leveler Block" cures the Driver's Side Lean of most FJ40s. Leans vary from Cruiser to Cruiser depending on spring age and type

get a fat girlfriend to sit on the rear passenger side :)

So is the lean the result of the springs or something in the frame geometry? Does a new set of aftermarket springs cure it?

Every US cruiser that I have seen with a lean has been to the driver's side. Mine had it when it was right off the showroom floor in '78. And it still has the lean with new springs and lift.

I would say that if you have a lean to the passenger side, then maybe your rig has some other problem.

As for the fix kit mentioned, it seems like it is lowering the passenger side, bringing it down to equal the driver's side. Don't think I will do anything to my rig to lower it.

So I will not go that route. Even if it is a half inch or so, I am going the other direction!

Actually, I will live with the trademark lean on my rig.

Think about it: Who jumps in and out the most? Driver - on the driver side.

Driveline torque too...

I'm surprised no one sugested this: Take it out and wheel it!!!

Articulate those springs!!!

Or, if all you can get is street driving, try taking a hard left turn, then get out and look at it.

I bet your shackle angle is diff driver's side to pass side?

krzyabncanuck said:
You are talking about the Famous cruiser lean. I was once told a story as to why they built them that way, never sure if he was just pulling my leg or what.
So tell us the story... I'm sure we'd all like to hear!

Mine leans to the drivers as well.

my 40 doesnt have a lean... hmmm, maybe its broken.

Hey sand rider, I think you are absolutely correct. Your cruiser is defective. You probably got it too close to that Nissan thingy. Too bad. Better sell it to one of us!

I think that I will get the leveling kit or I am going to develope a nervous tick every time I notice that it isn't sitting level......tick........tick.....

I was told they built them that way from the factory for the roadway. The way the road crowns from the middle doen th the outside. Like i said never knew if he was right , but he did work with my old man in Torrance Ca back in the 60s-70s, right there at the Toyota dock. Where they offloaded these great machines off of the boat.

spike6901 said:
My FJ leans noticibly to the driver side. Do you think that it is a sagging spring? I would guess that it would be the driver side front.

I was thinking about installing a 1" longer shackle on that side to level it out. Is this a really dumb idea?

I just ordered a CCOT leveling block for mine.

Earlier Landrover Discoveries lean to the passenger side from the factory. The were built to lean ever so slightly with the idea that it would then be almost perfectly level when there was a driver in it.

My theory on the lean:

The stock drivetrain is offest to the left hand side.
This was to offset the weight of the driver, and a full fuel tank in right hand drive markets, as well as to align the transfer case outputs to the axles.

My solution
Live with it. It adds charm and character.

One theory I heard was that when they shipped these cruisers across the ocean they would synch it WAY down, pulling the motor downwards. The heavy 2F, leaf springs and frame geometry would combine with the journey and would cause a slight lean to the drivers side. This sounds plausible or it could be pure BS...

Max

convert it to right hand drive in a few years it will sit level

Have you tried the "Tin Cup" remedy?

Put your spare change in the other pocket...

My FJ leans noticibly to the driver side. Do you think that it is a sagging spring? I would guess that it would be the driver side front.

I was thinking about installing a 1" longer shackle on that side to level it out. Is this a really dumb idea?

Nobody really answered this question, i'm kinda curious myself. Would a +1" shackle on the drivers side cure the lean? I wouldn't normally worry about it, but i'm making new shackles anyway and thought if it won't hurt anything, what the hell right.

Kevin

I have the same issue to the drivers side even with new springs in the front as of last week.

Doing a 60 series swap in the rear next week and was going to make sure I swaped the springs over as the front once made little difference.

Remember the problem may no be in the front but thats just where you notice it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom