FJ 80 Antenna problems, rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, this summer I installed a new Toyota Factory manual Antenna (I got it at cruiserparts.net) for my 1996 FZJ-80 cruiser.
I even made a video, which I still need to edit and post here.
I decided to go with a non electric antenna, everything I read here seemed to indicate the electric ones where always breaking down and in need of replacement.
So I went old fashioned mechanical. The installation went ok, feeding the wire in through the body and into the vehicle was the hard part. And yes, I used the old wire to feed in the new, I butt them together and taped really good, lengthwise, and keeping it slim. And it was very hard but once I got it in, it was in.
Everything was working just fine this summer, and the reception was clear as a bell, it seemed I was getting better reception with the manual antenna than I ever did with the original electric antenna.

Then Rainy season came, and now my reception is horrible, even on clear days, after the rain.
Something happened. Does anyone else here have this experience.???
Rain/ moisture getting down around the antenna and ruining it's reception??

Just thought I would ask here. After all the work I went through to install that antenna, I miss being able to listen to the radio. It sounds all garbled and scratchy.

Did the new antenna gave a bracket to be bolted to the inner fender?

My power antenna was missing the bolts holding it inside the fender and I had the same issue until I found that and installed the bolts. It has to be a grounding issue.

It also cleared up another issue that every time I put it reverse my radio would go all static. I have LED back up lights and this grounding fixed that problem as well.

Bilt4me's post on LED interference got me thinking.... Many devices can interfere with radio reception. Have you added any devices to the vehicle? USB charger? Is it the same with the engine off?

Many devices can interfere with radio reception
A little off topic but another item that's listed in the FSM that can cause interference. Maybe not so much with the factory radio, but with the engine ECM and it's sensors, is the mounting location of the antenna, and routing of the coax cable used for a Ham or CB radios.

Thanks Retlaw, yep thats what I did. It fixed the problem.
I cleaned the metal off with 80 grit sand paper, right where the metal holder bracket fastens to the body panel, on the inside.
Cleaned it to the bare metal, no paint. Metal to metal contact.
Now the radio works fine. It was a grounding problem that didn't show up until rainy season came.

There is a tiny bit of static, but other than that the signal is loud and clear. Definitely Ground problem.

the length of your antenna can also affect the reception, I used to run a shorty for clearance in the woods and the reception was ok. changed to a full length and reception was night and day difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom