FJ 60 Window Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas:
On my 87 FJ 60, the driver and passenger's side window will only roll about 3/4 the way down. And then it just stops. I have had the cruiser about a year, and until recently I thought it was designed this way. But after seeing other 60's in person and on the WEB I see that this is not by design. The rear windows roll all the way down as they should. The front two stop in the exact same position (about 3/4 of the way down). It's really not that big of a problem except when I want to ride with my arm rested out the window. The 3~5" of window that sticks up is just enough to make my arm uncorfortable :'( If anyone can shed some light on this issue I would appreciate it, or if anyone elses CRUISER does this let me know.

Thanks!

I'm betting you have aftermarket door speakers and the magnets are keeping the window from rolling down ;)

That may be the case, but they appear to be in the stock location. And since I don't have a radio installed yet, I can't judge by the quality of sound. What do you mean by magnets?

The magnets or drivers (what makes a speaker work) on aftermarket speakers often stick out further than OEM units, if this is the case, even with the aftermarket speakers in stock location, they may prevent the window from rolling all the way down, pull off the grills and check the speakers themselves to see if they are stock or aftermarket. Especially since both windows are stopping at the same place, this hypothesis would make sense. Good call Deep South, hadn't thought of that one.

you can stuff a 6-1/2" speker behind the factory grilles and everything looks normal from in the cab but the backs of the speakers (the magnet part) stops the windows from rolling down all the way.

They probably didn't realize the problem until after the install and decided they could live with it, I have 6-1/2" Alpine's in my doors but they are only about 3" deep so they don't hit. Almost all other 6-1/2" speakers are 4-1/2" deep...which is too deep for those doors.

I got $5 on the Deep South theory :D

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=1;threadid=6018;start=msg47963#msg47963 date=1065477085]
I got $5 on the Deep South theory :D
[/quote]

that could be a book title :D

Thanks for the quick input guys. Great call Deep South! I'll check the speakers out when I get home. I will probably yank them since I don't have a radio. I really like to ride with the windows down, and you can pretty much do that year round here.
Deep South: I see that you are from Central Alabama. Do you ever do any wheeling around here? I'm also in the area, and I'm getting tired of riding with BIG A** Chevys And J*$Ps all the time. If you ever get the urge to go ride send me a PM
Thanks

Yep yep yep, it's the speakers. If you want to keep the speakers, just take the door panels off, unscrew the speakers, and then replace them with "spacers" between the speaker and the door frame (you can do something as simple as putting a few plastic or rubber washers in place and putting the screws back through the centers of the washers.

I did this and got 1/2" space in there and windows roll down now (there's a *slight* bulge n the door panel, but you'd never notice it--I know a few other guys who did this as well).

Good luck.

yes, I spotted you on the member map (Cool feature Woody!) I'm over here in Walker County near Jasper.

Haven't done much wheeling to speak of since my son was born (18 months old) but things are getting a little more normal now that he is a little older and soon he'll be bugging me to go. Hunting season starts soon and that should get me back on the trails under the guise of a great deer hunter ;)

The spacer behind the door panel is a good idea Jman (didn't think of that) Kenwood Excelon and Alpine both make a great sounding 6-1/2" speaker that is shallow enough to fit without hitting the glass.

I've got the Alpine speakers in my '82 (behind the factory moulded grille) and they work good enough for me (I'm not 17 years old with 500watts of power in the stereo though) , and my 84 has some other kind of 6"x9" speakers cut in the door by the PO but all windows roll ALL the way down on both 'Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom