FJ-40 Towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm a newbie with a 72 with a 350 and SM 465. The guy I bought it from had a Spector tow bar put on it and flat towed it everywhere with the rear driveshaft disconnected. I've had a mechanic say there's no reason for the disconnect on the shaft with the transfer case in neutral, that the transfer case won't slip into gear, and the way it's built there's plenty of oil moving around to keep things oiled and cool. Any advice/experience you have would be most appreciated. Frank :)

Welcome.

Well,

With the tcase in neutral, gear oil does not get moved around inside the tcase, as there is not anything 'slinging' it around, as the gears are not moving.

If you do not want to have trouble with things, I would disconnect the rear driveshaft....

-OR-

Stop flat towing the truck, and get a trailer.

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Welcome.

Well,

With the tcase in neutral, gear oil does not get moved around inside the tcase, as there is not anything 'slinging' it around, as the gears are not moving.

If you do not want to have trouble with things, I would disconnect the rear driveshaft....

-OR-

Stop flat towing the truck, and get a trailer.

Good luck!

-Steve

I have flat towed my fj40 probally 8000 miles in the last 7 years and have never pulled a driveline and had no problems with checking fluids to make sure they were full.

I did have a problem with the fj55 that I flat towed here from Seattle, the TC case was low and I had left the hubs engaged and lost the frwd out[ut bearing on the tc.

I did not like having to pull over and straight out the front wheels in cities after tight turns even with a bungie on the steering wheel.

Even with the 11.5 ' camper on my 2001 powerstroke the 40 still wanted to push the truck around.

That sor tow bar is what I have and I leave the bolts on the tounge slightly loose and it seems to tow straighter.

That said I just bought a new 14' heavy duty car trailer AHHHHHH brakes and wider WB to keep it from being grabbed by the ruts in the highway.

Flat towing I give a 3 of 10, on the trailer 7 of 10, driving the fj40 gets a 10.

As long as it has an offset rear output cruiser tcase you are fine without removing the rear dshaft.

If it is lifted you may need to address caster in order for it to tow properly.

My 40 is lifted with corrected caster, I can cut a 90 degree neighborhood corner no problem.

I have never used a bungee cord.

My first two cruisers were a 40 and 60, and I probably used the 60 to flat tow that 40 some 5000 miles--including up into the Silverton, CO area back in 1995. If you keep the cruiser's tires inflated properly (even a little more than you normally might), you shouldn't have any worries. If you do a shackle lift it can complicate things unless you do a caster correction. As far as driveline disconnects, I never did. I would put the tranny in 2nd and put the transfer in Neutral and get on down the road. No problemo.

Now I've gotten more sophisticated and have a tricked-out trailer with winch and outriggers, etc., and a Cummins tow dog. But I wouldn't hesitate a minute to flat tow a 40. I'll agree with mallred on the 10/10 on driving it though.

I have flat towed my 40 about 2000 miles in the last year and never had any problems. It is a 79 with 2.5 in. spring lift and a 2 in. shackle lift with 6.0 deg. Shims. I tow it with a 28 ft. motor home. I put trany and t-case in neutral, and plan to tow that way for many more miles. :beer:

Ask Brian about how well towing with the rear drive shaft connected worked for him.....

Flat towing

texas77fj40 said:
get a trailer it will be worth the investment, TRUST ME. the only thing land cruisers are not good at is being flat towed.

FJ40's only tow as bad as they drive down the highway. Mine flat tows as nice as most trailers. 2yrs ago I flat towed hammerhead's FJ40 to Moab with my '78 and had no problems either. A panic stop could have been bad though. :eek:

The big thing with flat towing with the rear driveline attached is ensuring that it doesn't get knocked into gear. Don't pile a bunch of stuff in there that could move around and bump your shifter. Been there. :eek: Since that time I've towed it thousands of miles without incident or regret. It's sure nice to see a good spot to wheel and just unhook from the RV and go for it! :D

dieseldog said:
I would put the tranny in 2nd and put the transfer in Neutral

Is there a benefit to putting in 2nd gear? I have put both tranny and transfer in neutral during the limited flat towing I've done.

ChuckD

I have flat towed mine for 4 long years. I do the neutral/neutral thing and it works fine. Mine also does the counter steer on loose surafaces.

I am buying a trailer when I can.

DN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom