FJ-40 Speaker/Stereo Idea (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TxCruzr

Wait, this ain't Texas...
Threads
Website
www.webphotos.com
I've been looking into putting a CD player and speakers in the 40 and came up with this idea. Let me know what you guys think.
The head unit will be a CD/MP3 player, and I will put that in the tuffy.
For the front I'll make a box where the heater used to be and put two 5 1/4 speakers that will be angled toward the driver and passenger.
For the rear I'll make a box for each side that will mount against the front sloped part of the fender.
I also saw a powered subwoofer that I though about mounting underneath the tuffy since there is about a foot of room underneath it.
I'll attach some pics of the speaker box ideas and the speakers and head unit I plan on getting so far.
Thanks

Joseph

I like your front speaker mount idea ( I will be removing my heater soon as well) CD's have a hard time playing with bumpy roads, if the MP3 player is also using CD disk technology you could have the same issue. I am using an Apple iPod with over 3000 songs store on it. I will mount an Amp and speakers and call it macaroni...

I use Apple iTunes to conver my CD's to mp3 or buy music with the iTunes music store ( .99 per song) With the iPod I can take it with me anywhere I go and have music (it can't be stolen if I have it with me). Many more options with an iPod.

And now iPod works well with Windows/iTunes combo check it out: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

If I order the kenwood cd player within December I get a free sirus set up, minus the monthly service. Sirus is just a cheap XM so it shouldn't be bad.
I don't think the cd player will be to bad on the highway and intown since the 40 rides pretty smooth with the soa. Off road and stuff I wouldn't really listen to music and if I did then I would have the radio.

Joseph

I think your best bet for the rear is to get either a pair of Boston Acoustics or Bose weatherproof patio speakers, and pipe clamp the included brackets to the rear part of the roll bar.
I have a pair of Boston Acoustics ($350 a pair) that I got for free, with a hard top or soft top on and travelling under freeway speeds I get great full rich sound, they get drowned out above 50-55. The other benefit of these is that you never have to worry about water when you're topless.
I also had a 12" sub mounted in a box right behind the front seats in between them. I faced it forwards in the summer with the bikini, and rearwards in the winter with the hard top on.
This 200watt 12" would freakin pound in such a small car.
I then wised up and took it out, got sick of it takin up space and lookin real messy.

XM is worth every Penny, i have a case full of CD's i dont listen to anymore, and i never listen to local radio.. Honestly i would get rid of the deck all together and run your XM straight to an amp..

I can't sell my CDs...there all burned with pirated music...I mean un-pirated :flipoff2:

These speakers are cheaper then the marine speakers I found so I'll just save some cash and go with them. Can later replace em.

Has anyone had any experience with Sirus. I hate the price being higher then XM but Kenwood is setup for Sirus. Haven't found any XM setup CD players that I like and are under $200. I don't want to go with just a XM reciever because I still want the ability to play CDs.

Joseph

I got an Alpine powered revolving faceplate cd player XM enabled for $200 at Circuit City.
It was last year's display model, listed at $250. Other than the buttons a little broken in, it was as good as new, and it sees a crapload of abuse. I bought it because it had a sub preamp out, never used the XM, not worth it for me.

I need to go to circuit city or somewhere where I can acually see the faceplate up close. I've been looking at Crutchfield's website because I'm lazy and cheap. :flipoff2:
That and theres not very many stores like that in a town with a pop. of 2k :rolleyes:

Joseph

Lazy and cheap, Maybe you shold check out Aiwa's Indash CD/MP3 Players, I had one in my Bronco with the steering wheel remote, I loved it, when I get ready to have tunes in the Cruiser I will probably go back with the same, I get alot of my stuff from eBay, check out http://tinyurl.com/zmss Thats a short link to a Deck on eBay, You can see the faceplate also has a Mini Plug in it incase you have a portable MP3 player or get XM, which by the way ROCKS. I try to stay away from high end stereo equipment in my Off-road vehicles, Especially in my Cruiser or Humvee, since It is open to the elements, even in a Tuffy box, the jarring around can damage the electronics. I also think Marine speakers would be a good investment in a open top. and while we are talking about cheap, Check out your Military Surplus stores for a weather tight sealed box that will mount where you want it, I just won a a 125.00 certificate for a Tuffy product and for a box like my military 15.00 box I can pay for ½ of it with Tuffy. The Box I have use to house electronic equipment and has a very tight rubber seal.

[quote author=jccruiser78 link=board=1;threadid=8779;start=msg75667#msg75667 date=1071447968]
XM is the bomb-you will not need cd`s anymore.
[/quote]

How do you like the XM, I havent heard too much feedback from it, but it makes a lot of sense.

Can you select a specific artist whenever you want?

Drew <><

you cant select the artist, but i have Delphi XM, and you can search thru the channels EZ till you find somthing you want to here.. i have like 5 channels that i just switch back and forth thru when i get tired of one..

Walmart 300 watt speaker box, $15.00. Loud enough to run at 55 with the top off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom