1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ-40 Speaker/Stereo Idea

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by TxCruzr, Dec 14, 2003.

1. TxCruzr

TxCruzr Wait, this ain't Texas...

I've been looking into putting a CD player and speakers in the 40 and came up with this idea. Let me know what you guys think.
    The head unit will be a CD/MP3 player, and I will put that in the tuffy.
    For the front I'll make a box where the heater used to be and put two 5 1/4 speakers that will be angled toward the driver and passenger.
    For the rear I'll make a box for each side that will mount against the front sloped part of the fender.
    I also saw a powered subwoofer that I though about mounting underneath the tuffy since there is about a foot of room underneath it.
    I'll attach some pics of the speaker box ideas and the speakers and head unit I plan on getting so far.
    Thanks

Joseph

2. TxCruzr

front speaker box

3. TxCruzr

rear speaker box

4. TxCruzr

5. TxCruzr

6. TxCruzr

7. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

I like your front speaker mount idea ( I will be removing my heater soon as well) CD's have a hard time playing with bumpy roads, if the MP3 player is also using CD disk technology you could have the same issue. I am using an Apple iPod with over 3000 songs store on it. I will mount an Amp and speakers and call it macaroni...

I use Apple iTunes to conver my CD's to mp3 or buy music with the iTunes music store ( .99 per song) With the iPod I can take it with me anywhere I go and have music (it can't be stolen if I have it with me). Many more options with an iPod.

And now iPod works well with Windows/iTunes combo check it out: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

8. jccruiser78

jccruiser78

XM is the bomb-you will not need cd`s anymore.

9. TxCruzr

If I order the kenwood cd player within December I get a free sirus set up, minus the monthly service. Sirus is just a cheap XM so it shouldn't be bad.
    I don't think the cd player will be to bad on the highway and intown since the 40 rides pretty smooth with the soa. Off road and stuff I wouldn't really listen to music and if I did then I would have the radio.

Joseph

10. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I think your best bet for the rear is to get either a pair of Boston Acoustics or Bose weatherproof patio speakers, and pipe clamp the included brackets to the rear part of the roll bar.
    I have a pair of Boston Acoustics ($350 a pair) that I got for free, with a hard top or soft top on and travelling under freeway speeds I get great full rich sound, they get drowned out above 50-55. The other benefit of these is that you never have to worry about water when you're topless.
    I also had a 12" sub mounted in a box right behind the front seats in between them. I faced it forwards in the summer with the bikini, and rearwards in the winter with the hard top on.
    This 200watt 12" would freakin pound in such a small car.
    I then wised up and took it out, got sick of it takin up space and lookin real messy.

11. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    XM is worth every Penny, i have a case full of CD's i dont listen to anymore, and i never listen to local radio.. Honestly i would get rid of the deck all together and run your XM straight to an amp..

12. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

Sell your CD's on amazon.com before its too late. :D

13. TxCruzr

I can't sell my CDs...there all burned with pirated music...I mean un-pirated :flipoff2:

These speakers are cheaper then the marine speakers I found so I'll just save some cash and go with them. Can later replace em.

Has anyone had any experience with Sirus. I hate the price being higher then XM but Kenwood is setup for Sirus. Haven't found any XM setup CD players that I like and are under $200. I don't want to go with just a XM reciever because I still want the ability to play CDs.

Joseph

14. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I got an Alpine powered revolving faceplate cd player XM enabled for $200 at Circuit City.
    It was last year's display model, listed at $250. Other than the buttons a little broken in, it was as good as new, and it sees a crapload of abuse. I bought it because it had a sub preamp out, never used the XM, not worth it for me.

15. TxCruzr

I need to go to circuit city or somewhere where I can acually see the faceplate up close. I've been looking at Crutchfield's website because I'm lazy and cheap. :flipoff2:
    That and theres not very many stores like that in a town with a pop. of 2k :rolleyes:

Joseph

16. STORCruiser

STORCruiser

Lazy and cheap, Maybe you shold check out Aiwa's Indash CD/MP3 Players, I had one in my Bronco with the steering wheel remote, I loved it, when I get ready to have tunes in the Cruiser I will probably go back with the same, I get alot of my stuff from eBay, check out http://tinyurl.com/zmss Thats a short link to a Deck on eBay, You can see the faceplate also has a Mini Plug in it incase you have a portable MP3 player or get XM, which by the way ROCKS. I try to stay away from high end stereo equipment in my Off-road vehicles, Especially in my Cruiser or Humvee, since It is open to the elements, even in a Tuffy box, the jarring around can damage the electronics. I also think Marine speakers would be a good investment in a open top. and while we are talking about cheap, Check out your Military Surplus stores for a weather tight sealed box that will mount where you want it, I just won a a 125.00 certificate for a Tuffy product and for a box like my military 15.00 box I can pay for ½ of it with Tuffy. The Box I have use to house electronic equipment and has a very tight rubber seal.

17. REZARF

REZARF

[quote author=jccruiser78 link=board=1;threadid=8779;start=msg75667#msg75667 date=1071447968]
    XM is the bomb-you will not need cd`s anymore.
    [/quote]

How do you like the XM, I havent heard too much feedback from it, but it makes a lot of sense.

Can you select a specific artist whenever you want?

Drew <><

18. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    you cant select the artist, but i have Delphi XM, and you can search thru the channels EZ till you find somthing you want to here.. i have like 5 channels that i just switch back and forth thru when i get tired of one..

19. fjcruiser

fjcruiser

Walmart 300 watt speaker box, $15.00. Loud enough to run at 55 with the top off.