Builds First LC, HZJ77 Build "Kengo" (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some partsouq goodies will arrives today so I can get the engine back together, but I was able to get my wheels and 285/70/17 tires on the truck yesterday. I didn’t want to run spacers, but the offset needed with these flares is almost impossible to get without them. You get about 2 wheel choices. Anyway, I’m happy with the color, happy to have a full size spare, and fingers crossed for a nice ride.
25892413-AAB3-49A8-9EC6-694A38CBCC50.jpeg

I hope you don't put a snorkel on that beauty but I understand everyone has their taste. :)

I have said it before but I am part of the anti-flares / anti-snorkel group but like you I have OEM flares and it makes wheel selection more difficult.

Last edited:
I hope you don't put a snorkel on that beauty but I understand everyone has their taste. :)

I have said it before but I am part of the anti-flares / anti-snorkel group but like you I have OEM flares and it makes wheel selection more difficult.
HA I totally get it, If I had no flares I would never add them to it. But I have a hard time removing not rusting out factory flares. Not to mention all the hole filling and paint.

I will say that I do like snorkels, but I also don't want to cut a hole in a perfectly good fender! So it will stay as it is from that aspect. You could say I don't enjoy doing irreversible things to the factory body and electrical. Frame and Chassis don't both me to modify though ha.

ditto on the lack of offset wheels, if you are okay with running 15" wheels they did make OEM alloy 15x7 wheels that have -20 offset which would get very close, but those are super hard to come by. I begrudgingly ended up running spacers, because I could not stand the in board look with the flares, but also really like the flares. Currently converting to coils using 80 series outers which will push it out about 1.5" so that should take care of that, with some 16x8 with 3.5 backspace which are readily available.

ditto on the lack of offset wheels, if you are okay with running 15" wheels they did make OEM alloy 15x7 wheels that have -20 offset which would get very close, but those are super hard to come by. I begrudgingly ended up running spacers, because I could not stand the in board look with the flares, but also really like the flares. Currently converting to coils using 80 series outers which will push it out about 1.5" so that should take care of that, with some 16x8 with 3.5 backspace which are readily available.
You are using 80 series rear hubs only for your conversion right? Since the fronts would be larger than our knuckle will accept? I swapped to Mini truck IFS hubs in the front of my 4runner to get my extra 1.5 of width, so that may be in my future if I pick up some SAS scraps. I looked heavily into the coil conversion, but I don't want to get too crazy with the truck yet. Need to spend some time with it first! Patience is a reoccurring theme that I'm working on ha.

I used the 80s for the rear and front, I swapped everything including the knuckle balls. Its been a project to say the least, I am at the tail end of it, planning to do a thread on it once I'm fully done. Here it is all mocked up prior to final welding, which I am doing now, and the comparison of the 70 vs 80 knuckle balls, 80 is almost an inch larger.
IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

I used the 80s for the rear and front, I swapped everything including the knuckle balls. Its been a project to say the least, I am at the tail end of it, planning to do a thread on it once I'm fully done. Here it is all mocked up prior to final welding, which I am doing now, and the comparison of the 70 vs 80 knuckle balls, 80 is almost an inch larger.View attachment 2493335

View attachment 2493334
That looks beautiful, Very much looking forward to your write up! Looks like you went with factory HZJ76 frame brackets is that right? Great work as usual!

79 series for all the frame brackets,

Today was finishing up the rest of the gear oils, and doing a much needed cleaning of the outside. Washing, clay bar, and some wax on top to try and keep things protected a bit! I finally got to get some pictures in the daylight and really happy how it’s turned out so far. We took our first family drive for some errands and lunch and it was a blast.
2F178AEC-8FDA-4758-A752-25DC19E08DFE.jpeg

FED2CA10-AFA8-47E3-9285-FDB5213FCC15.jpeg

435C0E9C-FC85-41D9-8A66-D3CBD321DAFB.jpeg

233643B0-7222-4E98-8CA9-33B2CAB313D2.jpeg

23FD0C8E-8AE4-45D9-95E6-1DE2C22630BC.jpeg

Last thing to wrap up the day was getting the dang T belt light off. I thought it was odd that the light was on, but the belt was changed 6000km ago, and the grommet was off the cluster. What I’ve found so far on this truck is that anything that seems to have been changed from what I would have expected to see, was done intentionally. For example, the rear wiper switch was missing, I thought that was odd but tons of Japanese cars have the wiper arms removed for some reason so I figured I could plug a new switch in and be off and running. Blew a fuse after first use LOL. Thought they just hadn’t reset the light, light won’t reset. It’s all small things, which I’m happy about, just funny. Still need to trace down the rear wiper issue.

Anyways, the light. So I pulled the gauge apart and found that the housing had snapped and so the button couldn’t be fully pressed. Luckily there was enough thread there to remove the lock washer and still attach it. Got it hooked up and light reset no issue. Took the opportunity to install some nice diffused LEDs in there too. I need to buy some terminal ends to match the plug as I don’t want to snip wires, but I have the electronics ready to put a dimmer in too! Looking forward to that. For now, happy to have all lights off while driving.

C7428040-B49F-48A3-91B3-807C24820B79.jpeg

3BF8BB18-1A5D-4171-AAF3-2D6FD5E62F2D.jpeg

And my son was just sitting on the driveway watching cars ha
F0743FD0-F648-403B-BC8A-6BA07EC59573.jpeg

Fortunately/unfortunately we are back in Plano my assignment was done in sept before COVID anyways, so we just came back a little earlier than expected.

Myself and a couple of other folks had a Toyota City trip planned for this past spring to visit TAB Yoshiwara and Fujimatsu, and Toyota Motomachi. Unfortunately that all got canned due to COVID. Hopefully next year.

Myself and a couple of other folks had a Toyota City trip planned for this past spring to visit TAB Yoshiwara and Fujimatsu, and Toyota Motomachi. Unfortunately that all got canned due to COVID. Hopefully next year.
I hear you, We had some family trips planned that are on hold, and my replacement can't start until April of next year at the earliest. The working environment over there is really strange as well. They put up saranwrap walls between all the shared desks we sat at so you won't sneeze on the guy in front of you. But then they also made everyone work from home if you're in an office. Very strange for Japan, all the guys who don't like to be at home must be depressed LOL.

I hear you, We had some family trips planned that are on hold, and my replacement can't start until April of next year at the earliest. The working environment over there is really strange as well. They put up saranwrap walls between all the shared desks we sat at so you won't sneeze on the guy in front of you. But then they also made everyone work from home if you're in an office. Very strange for Japan, all the guys who don't like to be at home must be depressed LOL.

:lol: That's probably most of them who don't like being at home... hence why they work such late hours and party hard pounding down the Orions....

:lol: That's probably most of them who don't like being at home... hence why they work such late hours and party hard pounding down the Orions....
I would beep into work, passing guys just sitting in their car watching tv on their phone(or playing some pachinko game) and see the same thing beeping out. Not getting paid, just sitting there not being at home :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom