Builds First LC, HZJ77 Build "Kengo" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve never done a spring under kit before, but it’s actually really nice. I tossed a strap on the frame and then could just slowly swing the leave down and out of the way.
E403DF8F-82FF-4201-A62C-51341CDCBCDE.jpeg

7D37927A-ADF3-44E2-8270-A8CD08FAEB1D.jpeg
B2CCADEF-D7E7-4D9B-BC3C-65548A4CEB4F.jpeg

The old shocks are hammered. The feel hollow and you can hear just a tiny bit of fluid in there. The new dobinsons shocks are BEEFY. The spring packs are very similar, but the new pack has 3 more leafs. I’m a little nervous for a stiff ride, but we will see.
5AF192EF-7B3F-475B-8111-AEFDE769C009.jpeg
F8187F43-2675-4083-A978-13C2E36E6422.jpeg

I also figured I’d more my mounting hole back 25mm ti push the axle forward in case I get a chance to run 35’s in the future. Honestly with the lift it’s not a big deal to change it back in the future lol.
1808E92C-2E0E-45FD-9AF5-77ED229E7A2D.jpeg

All the front is in except for the reservoir mounts. Working on a good place that’s still accessible. I have a plan now but it will have to wait for tomorrow. Really excited to see how these ride, I can’t find any reviews about them for any of the 70s or 60s out there. I head to Moab next week so they will get some good testing. I’m also going to give no sway bar a try. My 1st gen 4Runner never had a sway in leafs, but they aren’t apples to apples.
EBF1BF8F-CF1E-4569-8513-CA2C5561121A.jpeg
F08CB0E9-1300-49CF-8192-7603B004B377.jpeg
72F0423D-7646-4C2D-9DAA-795B07FF534C.jpeg

after finishing up the drawer lighting and sleep platform, some exciting things happened here.

First was that I was able to pull the trigger in a dobinsons lift kit with the MRR shocks. I want to make the ride as comfortable as possible in this truck so I decided to splurge on the most adjustable shocks I could find. Also my leafs are sagging and I don’t know anything about them so I’d like to avoid having a break.

The second exciting thing happened this week while waiting for the kit… I scored a used 2 post lift on the cheap. So all focus changed to cleaning the shop for measurements and getting that lift in and functional before today when all the lift parts arrived. It’s been hectic but so worth it.

View attachment 3297198View attachment 3297199View attachment 3297200View attachment 3297201View attachment 3297202

Seeing the cruiser on the lift in my garage was a dream come true. I didn’t think this was going to happen for years, but perfect timing to doing this suspension work.
Ok, I have TWO serious problems with this:
1. I'm JEALOUS
2. You do not live closer to me

Lol, ok seriously though, this is absolutely awesome. Happy for you bud! Great find! :clap::cheers:

I removed the front sway bar from my Ute after installing those shocks, so far I have not noticed any negative results, but I haven’t driven any windy roads at hwy speeds yet.
I set them up per instructions and haven’t fine tooned them yet. I also run parabolic springs so your results may vary😉 make sure you have bump stops that are set up correctly.

I removed the front sway bar from my Ute after installing those shocks, so far I have not noticed any negative results, but I haven’t driven any windy roads at hwy speeds yet.
I set them up per instructions and haven’t fine tooned them yet. I also run parabolic springs so your results may vary😉 make sure you have bump stops that are set up correctly.
Those parabolics from terrain tamer look great, but that price tag prevented that this time. Hoping these springs aren’t too stiff but I was able to get a good price on the full kit so if nothing else I’m starting with fresh springs.

I’m with you on tuning, I have a few friends with fancier rigs than me and I’m going to be asking them for some tuning help lol

I hadn’t thought of mounting them there. Might have to look at option, the only problem I see with that location is they will fill up/ get covered in mud. One could put some kind cover over the valve part to keep clean
Yeah that is a concern for me, may make a little boot for it. It is nice and easy to get to… I like you location, did you drill and nursert for front or rear? I think my rear I didn’t have space there due to my body vs your bed. I’d you don’t mine me asking, do you know what your settings are at?

Moved to the rears today, fronts will be ok for Moab, and then I’ll revisit how @coldtaco mounted them and evaluate. The rears were a little tricky, between the exhaust and the body it feels like there is always something in the way. Ended up making a bracket out of leftover steel and mounting it to one of my crossmembers.
CE2A72FB-9CB3-4117-A4D4-9A7DA4CA5338.jpeg
88491D8E-7ECD-4012-9B18-79EF47E05707.jpeg
9126C5D6-02E2-4BFB-AF0A-0EABBBED67E2.jpeg
8EEEE6DD-25E0-4098-B057-29AF217B330E.jpeg
4A3767BB-FED1-461F-A732-E82A05742EAE.jpeg

Yeah that is a concern for me, may make a little boot for it. It is nice and easy to get to… I like you location, did you drill and nursert for front or rear? I think my rear I didn’t have space there due to my body vs your bed. I’d you don’t mine me asking, do you know what your settings are at?
I would have to dig up the instructions when I get home tomorrow

Looking nice! When I changed out my suspension, the rear rubber bushings were welded to the pins, so hitting some bigger bumps made my cheeks leave the seat. Greasable shackles, and I have the nicest riding land cruiser I have ever owned.

Say, noticed you have a set of airbags installed. Would you mind sharing what make/model, etc? I have not needed to yet, but the saggy-bum look when it is loaded down annoys me almost as much as the kids that used to wear their pants falling down below their @$$

So, it would be nice to know there is a set out there that would save me said annoyance should the need arise. 😜

Looking nice! When I changed out my suspension, the rear rubber bushings were welded to the pins, so hitting some bigger bumps made my cheeks leave the seat. Greasable shackles, and I have the nicest riding land cruiser I have ever owned.

Say, noticed you have a set of airbags installed. Would you mind sharing what make/model, etc? I have not needed to yet, but the saggy-bum look when it is loaded down annoys me almost as much as the kids that used to wear their pants falling down below their @$$

So, it would be nice to know there is a set out there that would save me said annoyance should the need arise. 😜
I totally get that! I found the bags (I believe viair) on Amazon. I just measured the factory bumps, and night bags with the same or close internal bumps. I put them in when I was towing a tent trailer which I don’t own anymore. I may be removing them in favor of some Timbren bump stops, but for now they work! I had to make little platforms that are hooked under my I bolts for a flat area to rest on when needed.

After consulting @coldtaco install, I moved my rear resi mounts so I can get away from the exhaust. I kept the front as is for now.

There are holes in the frame the right size for a Rivnut, so I put a couple in, one to hold it, the other to keep it from rotating ( more of a dowel pin role) sine they are a little too far to fit the bracket holes. On the RH side I just used the breather bolt for this role and I just bent the brake lines a bit so they are away from the bracket.

E75DEF11-1944-4327-948B-70C2E6ABC775.jpeg
4DE66B36-F770-4E4C-AFC6-0361EACC48AD.jpeg
B0EEE860-FB00-438E-AAF4-067A371FBDAC.jpeg
8194B491-EA1D-4C72-AA74-8290F3A423A0.jpeg
28451A2A-C292-4C08-8B13-4FABA66974F8.jpeg

All the work is done and the truck mostly packed for cruise Moab, headed out Wednesday morning!

Things have been busy at work so I haven’t had time to get in and do some updates. After getting the new suspension in, I put a “little” grease in all the bushings 🤣, slapped a sticker on and went for a drive! Night and day. It drove so smooth and less body roll then even when I had my sway bar on! So the sway bar is permanently removed in the front and very happy with the ride.

I even had my wife take it out to make sure I wasn’t crazy and she said it felt much more controlled.

IMG_4266.jpeg
70327300484__C009E8A1-4476-4833-BE56-D7A9F3D530C4.jpeg

I snagged a front valence for a prinsu 5th gen 4 runner rack from a friend and it fit surprisingly well to the roof contour. Most importantly it make the base rack quiet.
IMG_4301.jpeg

I then headed out to Utah for cruise Moab! Where on my way I found a pump that didn’t click off when full 😬

IMG_4331.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom