First LC flat tire (on the street): lessons learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My lesson from many years and many flat tires:

I hide in the back seat area. Have my wife/gf change into tight mini skirts and wait outside....
Sheesh, you actually admit this? How long before you get left along side of the road? :rofl:

And red high heels..... of course. ( which I pack in the glove box)....
Aren't those heels kinda hard on the upholstery while you're hiding back there?

The tire diameter difference would have to be extreme for the traction control to care, but doesn’t have to be extreme to cause issues with the limited slip center diff. This part uses mechanical friction to limit speed difference between the front and rear axles.. like if your front tires are on ice but the rears aren’t.

That part won’t like a big difference.. but I don’t know how big of a difference is acceptable.

Also, do those hydraulic jacks even come close to having enough lift to get a front tire off the ground? The telescopic ability of the stock jack is critical here.

From the owners manual:
■Replacing tires Make sure that all tires are of the same size, brand, tread pattern and total load capacity. In addition, make sure that the tires are inflated to the specified tire pressure level. The Multi Terrain ABS, Active TRAC, VSC and Trailer Sway Control will not function correctly if different tires are fitted on the vehicle. Contact your Toyota dealer for further information when replacing tires or wheels.

I was reading it for another purpose, but thought it was relevant here too.

Last edited:
I measured the dimensions of the loop portion of the OEM jack (my name for the female part of the jack that receives the hook end of the multi-part handle) – those dimensions are shown in the attached photo. Roughly speaking, the width ranges from 0.95 – 0.98”, the thickness ranges from 0.52 – 0.58”, and the hole measures about 0.52 – 0.54” across.

View attachment 2709987

I also measured the dimensions of the hook itself, and of the female end of that segment of the multi-part handle. The hook diameter is roughly 0.48 – 0.50”, and the female opening on the end of that piece of the multi-part handle is approximately 0.44” x 0.44”.

That last data point would imply that a 3/8” square drive would -almost- fit, as it measures about 0.37” x 0.37”. If you could get it to mate securely, you could use a battery operated drill or impact driver (with or without an extension) and a 3/8” square drive tip to turn the hook segment from the OEM tool kit. However, my test with a 3/8” square drive bit showed that it was a bit too loose of a fit, creating the risk that you might spin the square drive in the female end of the factory hook segment, destroying that end and rendering it useless.

Instead, I think an appropriately sized ½” drive “universal socket” might just do the trick. This one from McMaster-Carr has 54 pins and has the ability to receive 7/16” – 1¼” (0.4375” – 1.2500”) square, hex, 8-point fastener heads, so I would think that it could receive and grip/turn the 0.5” x 0.9” (external dimensions) loop on the jack.

McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/6021A11/

Add an appropriate length extension and your electric driver of choice and it just might work. I’ll be purchasing one of these as soon as I see one locally, and will report back on whether or not it works.
Someone may have already posted, but an oxygen sensor socket fits over the end piece of the oem jack handle set. If you couple that with your electric impact (if you carry one in the truck), then you can very quickly lift or lower your truck for tire changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom