First FZJ80, 97 40th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you separate the head and replace the head gasket?

It was done previously, the exact date and mileage escapes me.

But we did a compression and leak down test, prior and had no reason to remove the head.

Since, opening the engine would have lead me to the road of a full rebuild... I decided that when the head would have to come off, we would deal with it then.

In an effort to keep the cost down and a calculated risk based on it driving before and the numbers.

It was done previously, the exact date and mileage escapes me.

But we did a compression and leak down test, prior and had no reason to remove the head.

Since, opening the engine would have lead me to the road of a full rebuild... I decided that when the head would have to come off, we would deal with it then.

In an effort to keep the cost down and a calculated risk based on it driving before and the numbers.
Copy that.
I will say that the previous suggestion of reinforcing the left frame rail by the steering box and panhard mount should be taken to heart. There is a tremendous amount of stress in that area and it is prone to fatigue. Even for a daily driver that sees only fire roads, I would strongly consider this.
Although it's not a horrible job to do after the fact, having room to work and the facilities and skill set at your disposal, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Last edited:
Copy that.
I will say that the previous suggestion of reinforcing the left frame rail by the steering box and panhard mount should be taken to heart. There is a tremendous amount of stress in that area and it is prone to fatigue. Even for a daily driver that sees only fire roads, I would strongly consider this.
Although it's not a horrible job to do after the fact, having room to work and the facilities and skill set at your disposal, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I didn't think I would have this problem if I wasn't wheeling, but now at warning #2... I'm setting up for failure if I don't address this.

Do you have pictures of yours fixed? I want to get a plan to address this in the coming week.

I didn't think I would have this problem if I wasn't wheeling, but now at warning #2... I'm setting up for failure if I don't address this.

Do you have pictures of yours fixed? I want to get a plan to address this in the coming week.
The frame cracked in that area on my 91 and I needed to get it repaired, and I should have done the same to my 97 LX450, but my fabricator is no longer around. This is the type of work I would have you do for me.
I'm not certain I have pictures of the repair, but if you search this forum, there will be plenty of others.

Found the template to give me an idea on what to do. I'll post up when we have a plan for it.

Thanks for the insight.
Keep in mind that when you do mine I'm not pulling the freakin' body off.

Hey everyone, we've been a little crazy at the shop, but have still been moving forward.

Albeit a little slower than we would like, but we are still moving.

2020-08-11 09.04.55.jpg

2020-08-11 09.05.03.jpg

2020-08-11 09.05.12.jpg

Absolutely awesome work! You may have a contender for the 77.5K 40th that sold on BaT the other day! Haha.

Love the progress so far. Are those Dobinsons springs? What kind of shocks are installed?

Love the progress so far. Are those Dobinsons springs? What kind of shocks are installed?

Yes on the Dobinsons. Used new KYB shocks for now, to get a factory level ride. As I use the vehicle and attempt to "make it mine", I'll work to upgrade or alter the things I really feel I need. I didn't want to overthink without having real world experience. So I figured the best path forward would be to start with refreshed stock... and then take it from there.

Thanks for the encouragement.

You spare no detail to be looked after! Your truck is coming along great! Can't wait to see it completed!

Frame and body are getting ever so close to meeting each other once again...

At this stage we are:
Checking all electrical connections and cleaning them and using some liquid gold to keep the connections good.
Going over ever single bolt and hole, cleaning threads and bolts as necessary
Dotting all of the i's and crossing the t's before we bring these two together.

2020-09-28 18.30.50.jpg

2020-09-28 18.31.02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom