First FZJ80, 97 40th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the replacement unit that I used.

It does not have the "return vapor" to the fuel tank on the bottom. So we capped off the return vapor line.

I saved the old one to open it up and see if it can be reconditioned, as some research indicated it should be possible.
I ordered so thx! Is there any problems w capping off the return?

I ordered so thx! Is there any problems w capping off the return?
Only thing I've noticed, if you try to fill it with fuel too fast and she's empty... it'll click off more than you want.

But if you put it on slow... you can watch the price go up better and it never clicks! LOL

Only thing I've noticed, if you try to fill it with fuel too fast and she's empty... it'll click off more than you want.

But if you put it on slow... you can watch the price go up better and it never clicks! LOL
When you open your gas cap do you get any back pressure ? That’s what I get now and I’ve researched this is a symptom of a bad vapor canister?

When you open your gas cap do you get any back pressure ? That’s what I get now and I’ve researched this is a symptom of a bad vapor canister?
That was the symptom that lead to the replacement. Do not have that problem now.

It would also click off a lot and have a heavy fuel vapor odor.

But if it’s really low, she likes it slow.

I recently got a notice the Vapor canister is back in stock.
This is doubtful but I’m hopeful for you.

Edit: I see you’re referring to rock auto. Disregard my above post.

Nice milestone, play the numbers while you’re feeling lucky!

Update on electric fan setup. So I installed the twin electric fan setup last fall after having to do the radiator again. Since one never worries about overheating in the winter, I set the fan speed accordingly and kinda left it to wait for the summer to dial it in with the AC on.

So today was the day and I took a baseline of results with coolant temperature and vent temperature. Since I know the obsession with temperature is real, thought I'd share the results and will perform this test again on several very hot days to see the differences.

Link to kit used, no affiliation: Land Cruiser 1970-1997 Stage 1 Fan System - https://ffdynamics.com/products/ols/products/lndcrstg1

TL;DR:
  • Outside temp: 71 Degrees, muggy
  • Vent Temperature sub 45 degrees @ idle after 20 minutes of idle time
  • 185 degrees observed max coolant temperature

Currently working on:
  • Rebuilding spare seats with new leather and seat warmers
  • Installing seat extension kit on driver side
  • Removing rear cargo area seats

Will provide pics when done.

Looking to work on by the fall:
  • New side steps/frame protectors
  • Underbody covers
  • Dual battery setup
  • Research on suspension setups to get about 2 inches of height added to truck

2023-06-07_12-43-01.png

Last edited:
Small update, finally refinished the Driver Side Seat and installing seat extenders.

Will gather all my information to let everyone know what to expect when doing this, because this was not a fun job and filled with challenges on something I thought would be relatively simple and fast. Challenges faced were all "age related". The extender kit and leather kit, all worked out as expected.

I also started with a really poor seat example, but I would imagine that some of the issues I had, many people are going to run into if they haven't already.

My biggest obstacle was the lower seat frame was breaking apart in multiple areas. An issue that I now know my seat also has, based on the strange noises it would make.

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4652.JPG

Ultimately, I'm pretty happy with the kit. It looks great in the truck and is a decent match.

2023-09-18 14.20.05.jpg

2023-09-18 14.20.13.jpg

I'm also attending the Pilgrimage in Vermont in a couple of weeks, not sure if any members are headed that way, but it would be great to connect in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom