First Cross Country Trip: South Carolina to California. What can I expect/tips for the drive in my '95. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will be driving March 4th-6th.
Shucks.

I have to drive to Houston and San Antonio during that time, so I wouldn't even be around to get you some good BBQ if you happen to be in the area of Kansas City.

If you do take I-70 across, and need some grub in the KC area, look up this place:
Joe's Kansas City Barbecue
3002 West 47th Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66103
913-722-3366

It's good BBQ and It's listed as "One of the 8 places you should eat before you die" from some food rag.

It's good food.

Don't know if you'll be this far north though.

I'd put my efforts toward things like making sure the cooling system is working well, fluids are fresh, leaks are addressed, steering knuckle nuts are tight, U joints are greased... Mostly regular maintenance items. Don't do any major work right before leaving.

Don't be in a huge hurry, cruise in the right lane at 65-70mph. Enjoy the trip!

1614381682549.png

Shucks.

I have to drive to Houston and San Antonio during that time, so I wouldn't even be around to get you some good BBQ if you happen to be in the area of Kansas City.

If you do take I-70 across, and need some grub in the KC area, look up this place:
3002 West 47th Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66103
913-722-3366

It's good BBQ and It's listed as "One of the 8 places you should eat before you die" from some food rag.

It's good food.

Unfortunately the farthest north I will be going is through Memphis. Maybe when the Navy moves me back to Charleston :cool: .

I'd put my efforts toward things like making sure the cooling system is working well, fluids are fresh, leaks are addressed, steering knuckle nuts are tight, U joints are greased... Mostly regular maintenance items. Don't do any major work right before leaving.

Don't be in a huge hurry, cruise in the right lane at 65-70mph. Enjoy the trip!

View attachment 2597385
Appreciate the advice. Checking all of these first thing in the morning.

Been back and forward from Orlando to California quite a few times now. I typically sit with my speedo at 60mph which is about 66mph (i have 315's). My truck gets about 11 - 12mpg so i find i am stopping every 250ish miles to fill one tank and empty the other. Across the day - distance driven by time taken (including stops) i average almost exactly 53mph. So when google maps says 700 in 10 hours I know it will more like 13.

No point in driving faster as my fuel economy just drops so what you gain in speed you loose in extra fuel stops.

I rarely set an alarm in the morning and try to be off the road by 10pm. A good sleep on long drives is a must.

Don't be afraid to research the road and take time to stop off and see things that you drive close to but might never get another chance. Lots to see and do in this beautiful country.

I change the oil before i go because i have to drive back which for me can see me pushing 10k miles on a trip. A little grease in the D/S doesn't hurt either.

Don't forget the usual long distance smorgasbord of candy and off you go.

Actually you can get good beef all along kansas, texas and oklahoma. Don't avoid it if you can

Been back and forward from Orlando to California quite a few times now. I typically sit with my speedo at 60mph which is about 66mph (i have 315's). My truck gets about 11 - 12mpg so i find i am stopping every 250ish miles to fill one tank and empty the other. Across the day - distance driven by time taken (including stops) i average almost exactly 53mph. So when google maps says 700 in 10 hours I know it will more like 13.

No point in driving faster as my fuel economy just drops so what you gain in speed you loose in extra fuel stops.

I rarely set an alarm in the morning and try to be off the road by 10pm. A good sleep on long drives is a must.

Don't be afraid to research the road and take time to stop off and see things that you drive close to but might never get another chance. Lots to see and do in this beautiful country.

I change the oil before i go because i have to drive back which for me can see me pushing 10k miles on a trip. A little grease in the D/S doesn't hurt either.

Don't forget the usual long distance smorgasbord of candy and off you go.
Where did you sleep at on those long trips? A hotel or your 80? Taking a trip similar this summer from Illinois to Arizona and was wondering about rest stops.

In the winter i typically sleep in hotels. Lots on the road for reasonable money. In the sumer i almost always camp (small) tent or a rest area and sleep in the truck. If i camp i will shorten the driving time so i can enjoy the sunset.

Shucks.

3002 West 47th Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66103
913-722-3366

It's good food.

I ate there when I was doing the KC Royals stadium years ago. The ribs made me cry a little bit. Shouldn't be missed.

For road trips I like to start driving early, 6am if possible, then call it a day at 4pm. Then I have the whole evening to relax and unwind and get to enjoy a walk during daylight hours.

Those first few hours in the morning are the best, less traffic, sunrise, coffee,....

Just on the other side of west memphis is a free campground do some googling to find it. If you have a corps of engineers year pass those are good places for naps and quieter than rest areas. Since you are a service member i think you can get passes that are pretty inclusive for very cheap. If you have a choice to get a cabin here and there it can be a nicer view and cheaper than many hotels if you milk those discounts.

Last two years i started just taking the roof top tent. If it was in the 30s or below i would sleep on a small electric blanket and if it got really cold i used a very small heater. Most campsites have electricity if you are at state parks.

if your doing 12 mpg w/o the trailer figure 10-11 w/ the trailer, keepign a lower speed will help the mpg a lot. i usually try to stick around 60ish and it hepls. do the brakes so thats not a concern and if your going to be doing a lot if on road driving in cali and not much off road you can go with a milder a/t tire and that will also help with the mpg. bring a small tool set and easy items that can be replaced on the side of the road to get you off the highway, belts, bulb, spark plugs, fluids for everything, ect...

Any of those places happen to be in Amarillo?

You'll find good BBQ all over the State of Texas (some better than others of course).

When in ANY town in Texas....just ask the 'locals' where their favorite spot is. Stay away from any large franchised BBQ places and you'll be fine.

In Texas 'Beef' is king and 'Brisket and Sausage' are the mainstays, though you'll find 'pork' offerings most places too.

Any of the better BBQ houses will literally 'sell out' every day, so go early. Unless you order a sandwich....if your order comes served on a plate, you are probably in the wrong joint. If is comes served on a tray with butcher paper underneath it.....then you've found what you want.

I've done the DC to LA trip towing a uHaul 5x8. Most of the helpful advice has been mentioned, but I'll list a few others here.

-Fill up and refuel whenever you hit half tank. It gives you a chance to stretch and refresh and you never have to worry about fuel. Don't take extra gas.

-Check your gas mileage, tires, and fluids everytime you refuel. You can catch some problems arising before it happens here.

-Replace your brake pads (and fluid if no good), and give yourself extra room to brake when towing. Also, if you've never towed a trailer, practice backing up into different spots with it.

-Watch out for speed traps around Amarillo.. although with the LC, you'll probably be fine.

-Overheating isn't going to be a problem if your cooling system is fine (unless it's over 100 and you're stuck in a traffic jam going up a steep incline with AC). Although having a scangauge/ultragauge is helpful in monitoring temps.

-Along with making sure the general maintenance is good, I'd also drain and fill the transmission fluid if it hasn't been done recently. AAA is nice to have for peace of mind.

Most of all, take it slow and have fun!

A little update for you all. Went to my favorite car wash one last time to get the cruiser cleaned up for its cross country tour. Easily the best looking car at the joint IMHO.

IMG_3930.jpg

After that, as some of you all have mentioned, I got new tires and replaced the old ones. Was a little hesitant due to the cost and last minute decisoin to have them replaced, but after seeing it roll out of the shop, I was nothing but satisfied. They look amazing and feel great so far.

IMG_3934.jpg

Later tonight, a buddy of mine and myself will be changing the brakes. Happy Saturday everyone!

I also wanted to add something else. I do not recommend spending much time in Albuquerque, NM or El Paso, TX. Both are auto theft hot spots, and unfortunately, older Toyotas are too easy to steal. Especially with cargo, makes them prime targets.

If you're on the I-70 corridor, you're pretty safe. Beware of the mountains- just take your time, and enjoy the scenery. And downshift, especially on long grades like Vail pass.

I-40 corridor (Albuquerque) is generally pretty good, but there are some big mountain grades too. Again, downshift and taking your time is your friend.

Another thing to be aware of, especially with CA, is they have mandatory ag checkpoints. They are looking for produce, soil, and plant parts (to protect the ag production in the state). They shouldn't be anything to worry about, but are different than most operations out east.

You'll find good BBQ all over the State of Texas (some better than others of course).

When in ANY town in Texas....just ask the 'locals' where their favorite spot is. Stay away from any large franchised BBQ places and you'll be fine.

In Texas 'Beef' is king and 'Brisket and Sausage' are the mainstays, though you'll find 'pork' offerings most places too.

Any of the better BBQ houses will literally 'sell out' every day, so go early. Unless you order a sandwich....if your order comes served on a plate, you are probably in the wrong joint. If is comes served on a tray with butcher paper underneath it.....then you've found what you want.
I feel embarrassed to type this but despite having spent ages in Texas i have never experienced the BBQ. On my honour, i will set this right next time...just not a Dixie's 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom