First battery impact wrench. How to avoid breaking bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
I just bought my first battery powered impact wrench. I got the Makita. I know...Milwaukee has more power, feels better in the hand...if I need to upgrade I will. This was the right price at the right time and I've got the batteries. My question is this: I have used my air impact wrench and broken off bolts. I've got 2 rusty LC's and I want to use power tools. What are some tips and advice to NOT break things? Also, if there's a significantly softer feel in the hand or it takes less grip strength for one tool over another, I'm interested in hearing about that, too.

I'll add: I'm not that old, but I have a health problem that acts like the worst arthritis there is. If I use a small radius tool, or grab something heavy by a small radius attachment (Think a floor jack or jack stand), or if I grab something with a strong grip, like tightening or loosening an oil filter by hand, or if I'm pulling on a ratchet to break a stubborn bolt, my hands are useless for days and sometimes weeks. The pain is like breaking bones and my grip goes to crap so I can't button a shirt or lift a cup. I fumble and struggle to start a bolt by hand most of the time. It's awkward, embarrassing, and it really sucks. My options are limited to switching to power tools and getting my busy adult kids to help me or selling my cruisers. Some days are better than others, using large radius breaker bars helps, but it's still a struggle. I've learned that using my Kobalt air impact tool can actually make things worse in high impact situations, like a rusty suspension bolt. The impact in the hand is bad. Like getting hit in the hand with a fastball without a glove each impact.

Last weekend before I got my new impact wrench I removed my power steering gearbox from my parts rig and things went ok. I modified my techniques, used breaker bars, used other tools to turn my wrenches instead of using my hands directly, used more extensions. Halfway through the day, I ordered the new tool. My hands are struggling still, but it's tolerable. I'm hoping I can extend my shade tree mechanic days with my cruisers with some decent power tools.

I only throw in this info because I'm switching to power tools to accommodate my new limited abilities. It's a little different purpose than just convenience or "do it 'cause it's cool." and may result in some different suggestions. Thanks!

And, no pity, please. I have enough of that from myself. I'm just sharing facts to get the right suggestions. :beer:

Are there any settings on the Makita you purchased? On the Milwaukee, there is a button that lets you "dial down" the torque a bit.

It's got 3 settings for forward and a couple for reverse.
IMG_20200701_094132.jpg

They break bolts for sure...I’ve had luck backing out a few threads spraying your preferred lubricant on the threads and running the bolt back in and out spraying it again and repeat until you can back it all the way out.

This graph should tell me something, but I'm not sure how the torque translates to most bolts on our trucks. I believe this is at high speed.
IMG_20200701_094713.jpg

An impact is not the correct tool for rusty, potentially breaking bolts.
The proper way to remove shytty bolts is lube, heat, patience or a combination of the three.
Working stuck bolts back and forth works best.

So a little MAP gas, some "Break'er loose", and patience is going to be better than my impact wrench.

What are your thoughts on power ratchets?

An air ratchet is a little better in that you can use it as a manual at the same time.
The whole "hammering" effect of air tools isn't good for stuck hardware necessarily.

In my real life, i own an air ratchet but almost never use it. I fell in love with my 3/8 impact. So unless I have a space constraint or something like that i dont use the air rachet

Whenever I plan to remove heavily rusted bolts, I make a point of using penetrating oil every day for several days before. May or may not help but can't hurt for sure and probably helps at least some. (I actually had a tech at an alignment shop thank me for doing that once.) Little actual work involved that is dwarfed by instead dealing with a broken bolt. (Plus makes me feel well-organized for once... :) ) If concerned, I may also put some heat to it. And one thing I found helps too is put a air hammer on the head for a bit. With an iffy bolt I would also start by hand with some back and forth, but of course that may not be possible if you can't pull hard. Anyway, all this to say that I would not put a strong impact wrench on a dubious bolt first and as is. If nothing else, I would first put the tool on the lowest setting and do a bit of back and forth. It seems to be a little known trick that tightening a bolt may actually help loosen it...

I'm kind of a nerd. I like to watch videos on some of the simple stuff. I liked this one about loosening stuck bolts on a manifold.

This is an excellent video. Great tips and reminders.

I use marine neverseez or permatex thread sealant on my replacement hardware to prevent this from happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom