First 40 - How to prepare for 1300+ mile road trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keeping it tech, the most comfortable ride behind any wheel that I had was in a 2nd gen 4Runner with adjustable lumbar supports. I'd consider swapping those into my 40 build.

Bama4door,

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I have to call BS when I see it. I am in Colorado, if you need a chiropractic adjustment on your way back, I am right on Hwy 50. Or I could rever you to a good massage therapist. Glad to help out a fellow Mudder!

I think it's an amusing list of suggested items to bring...40's don't have a lot of cargo space...you'll fill that up fast. Try to think of the essentials you'll need, and run with those. Start with your tent and bags, and work down from that. You don't have to bring every tool with you for any trail repair...this being a new truck to you, and all the unknown about it, you can't begin to prepare for everything. You're still going to be within reach of civilization and can get help/parts/tools along the way.

Your attitude on the journey has more to add to this adventure than the tools and supplies you can try to cram in to the back of your 40. Someone mentioned owning the right lane...and yes...I whole heartedly agree with that...with gearing...a 60mph cruise is about right...let people pass, enjoy the trip, plan to buy gas often...

My wife and I have taken road trips the last couple of years in our 40, and have been the best vacations ever.

links While you were in Moab... - Rising Sun Member Forums

Enjoy the trip. Report what you see. Make this the first of a long history of road trips in this 40.

Updates? Did the pickup happen?
Just boarded my plane, will be in Denver at 9:10pm and meeting the guy at the airport. I’ll post a pic of it tonight once I get it.

@Dizzy i know this 40 has some aftermarket seats, but not sure what kind. I hope they are somewhat comfortable. Also I’m 6’7”, so I hope I can fit in a 40 ok :eek:

I'm 6'5" and it's pretty tight in a 40. A little late at this point but you will probably want some sort of seat extender or something to help you out there in the future. Who knows what the seats will be like, it's possible they have already been moved back.

This will be an experience you won't ....or can't forget :rofl:

I made it to Denver and got the 40 late last night. One pic of it in the PO’s garage and one from this morning about to head out to Telluride.

Stopping at Walmart for fluids and a big cooler for drinks. Wish me luck!

2C13DDD2-5CF2-4142-AE90-0ACFB0B09081.jpeg

View attachment 1752194

5169CF81-7339-474C-A690-DFADCB928F17.jpeg

I grew up every year going blackbear, engineer, imogene. Beautiful country and I miss it for sure.

Not to be a buzzkill...
I would strongly suggest before any, but especially blackbear, that you make sure EVERYTHING is working well before attempting those trails.

Enjoy it!

black-bear-pass-4wd-trail.jpg

Bit late to the party here but a couple of cans of spray carb cleaner would be on my shopping list

Great pics! Tell us how the new 40 is running.

It’s running great so far, no issues.

The brakes are a little iffy, I think the booster needs to be replaced. Other than that it’s ran cool and has done great in Telluride/Silverton the past 2 days.

We actually camped next to a guy who posted in my thread, but can’t remember his handle. Hopefully he will chime in, small world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom