Finally, I have a shop... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Since my move to NC some 18 yrs ago, I’ve been stuck living in the land of yuppies and soccer moms, otherwise knows as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees...Cary. HOA’s, small garages, kids and no room to do what I wish I could do, during the “negotiations” of our downsizing, one of my requirements was an existing or space to build a shop.

Unfortunately, my desire to build was hampered due to the previous owner not permitting the building, something I got the fun to learn how to do. Yet, finally, I have the process such that power is being run starting tomorrow so I had to clear it out, power wash it, etch and epoxy paint the floor before I officially move my crap back into it.

The secret is I also stuffed a 20 WWT container behind it to hide even more of my crap.

It’s only 20 X 23 big enough for me...outside pic before ALL my s*** got put outside...
EB163E98-DE38-47A2-96DD-2409D39C94EA.jpeg

Cleaned out, powerwashed and etched drying before epoxy...
7BD06775-9700-49FF-B190-7C14DA008C11.jpeg

Used Rust-Oleum ”Rock solid” coating, came out nice but for the coverage. I have 460 sq/ft, kit says covers 450-500, hoped I’d be good but it’s a bit thin in a couple spots because I was stretching to make sure I made it to the door. Sucks to not have an option to buy 1/2 kit, probably could have but this was a spontaneous event due to the burst of warm weather. I knew if I didn’t get it layed down now, I wouldn’t do it because I don’t like moving all my crap twice...
DFCEC7F6-DE55-4143-92D6-08F34D6403AD.jpeg

I also had Barnett Tree guys out trimming 6 of my 50-60 yr old oaks around the house and above where I park our Airstream, had them drop a dead pine within striking distance of the house also. Hope to use it as the base of my driveway arch, I was surprised it was just over 100’ tall...
39165D78-D5FF-4E48-82BD-03AB6A3CE7A3.jpeg

174D0132-73E6-45C7-A9B5-D1D672B9718C.jpeg

Next phase is taking this nice space and not screw it up, trying to learn from my past mistakes and listen to my friends who’ve built legit shops. First self-Chrstmas gift toward the shop is a fresh compressor...

Awesome!

I'd suggest drawing it out to scale on graph paper, and drawing exact scale sized pieces of paper of boxes, cabinets, tools, and benches you have. spend a bunch of time during snowpocalypse this weekend moving stuff around. I'd even factor in a p place for a camping potty, just in case you need to "release the hostages " while too dirty to walk inside the house.

I dream of one day moving from this sqalid suburban s***box into an even more sqalid rural s***box with a giant tajamagarage.

I have full size door envy. I am in a cookie-cutter community right now and had to cut 1.25" out of my roll cage to fit in the door.

I dream of one day moving from this sqalid suburban s***box into an even more sqalid rural s***box with a giant tajamagarage.

When we were looking and found this place it was kind of amusing. Heather is wandering around looking at the lay of the land and I was in the shop with our (fantastic) real estate agent. Heather comes in and talks with me favorably about the land and I was liking the shop. Dennis mentions taking a look at the house to which we both reply "Oh yeah, there's a house". It's a nice little farm house. Little being the key word.

We joke that all the capitol improvements to this point aside from a new roof have been building the barn, run in shed, fencing and improvements to the shop. Next planned improvement is an addition on the shop. Once the barn and shop are set, we'll begin setting up the house for our "golden" years. We chose a one story farm house for a reason.

I lived in a development growing up and during my first marriage. Never again. Living out in the country has advantages and dis advantages just like anywhere else. Having the space to do what you want makes a big difference. Not having nose neighbors dictate what you can and can not do is huge. My first room mate grew up on a farm, we were there on the back porch talking with his father one night. He gets up, walks off the porch into the dark and returns a few minutes later. "It's not home unless you can walk off the porch and take a leak any place you choose".

I can relate to how good it feels ready to move into a new shop/garage! I envy you having the space for a storage container...my next place will have a couple just to store s***!

For compressors...I have this one (Quincy 2V41C60VC QT-54 5-HP 60-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor 230V 1-Phase). It's great, but kinda loud since it runs at a higher RPM. I've considered upgrading to the one below and putting it outside the shop in an enclosed small room.

Quincy 271C80VCBM Max 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor 230V 1-Phase

I can relate to how good it feels ready to move into a new shop/garage! I envy you having the space for a storage container...my next place will have a couple just to store s***!

For compressors...I have this one (Quincy 2V41C60VC QT-54 5-HP 60-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor 230V 1-Phase). It's great, but kinda loud since it runs at a higher RPM. I've considered upgrading to the one below and putting it outside the shop in an enclosed small room.

Quincy 271C80VCBM Max 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor 230V 1-Phase

Exactly the unit I’m picking up, paying a bit more for the Quincy but their warranty and reputation is something I hooe I won’t have to replace. However, I thought the 2 stage units run a lower RPM. My current Campbell-Hausfield runs at 3400 rpms, that Quincy runs at 1310 due to the 2 stage pump.

Regardless, next topic of discussion is the need for a lift. I’m looking at the MaxJax “portable” unit due to the flexibility and ease of unbolting/moving posts when not needed. Truth is, due to my degerative neuropathy, doing “frame-off” restorations is probably not in my future, yet, having the ease of doing axle/wheel/hub work, oil changes/etc by getting off the ground is a significant benefit.

In any event, just feels good to be making some progress, maybe I’ll eventually get the rear axle finished and swapped under my 80, someday...

Awesome Jerry! Looks like a great space!

Quincy for the win. They are very durable and will give you years/decades of trouble free service if my experience rings true. Jealous of the clean floor, mine looks like I have rebuilt engines and hung deer to cure over it. Wait.....that's exactly what has happened.

Two vs single stage has more to do with the compressor's efficiency vs the noise (compressed the air once vs twice before sending to the storage tank).

The qt-54 (60 gallon one I linked) is loud. You’re welcome to come over and hear it yourself. While the pump runs at a lower rpm the Baldor motor is high rpm @ 3450 rpm IIRC. The QT-5 or QT-7.5 models use a lower rpm motor @1750. I was going to add a silencer on my air intake but subsequent research showed people who did with the qt-54 model saw little decrease in noise level. I think someone even had a comparison of the compressor running with belt vs without belt and the most noise was from the baldor motor.

Don't get me wrong...the qt-54 compressor is great and does everything I've wanted BUT it doing again, I'd spend more (easy to say right?) and get an 80 gallon one with a lower rpm motor.

Two vs single stage has more to do with the compressor's efficiency vs the noise (compressed the air once vs twice before sending to the storage tank).

The qt-54 (60 gallon one I linked) is loud. You’re welcome to come over and hear it yourself. While the pump runs at a lower rpm the Baldor motor is high rpm @ 3450 rpm IIRC. The QT-5 or QT-7.5 models use a lower rpm motor @1750. I was going to add a silencer on my air intake but subsequent research showed people who did with the qt-54 model saw little decrease in noise level. I think someone even had a comparison of the compressor running with belt vs without belt and the most noise was from the baldor motor.

Don't get me wrong...the qt-54 compressor is great and does everything I've wanted BUT it doing again, I'd spend more (easy to say right?) and get an 80 gallon one with a lower rpm motor.

Cool, thanks for the clarity. I’m committed to the QT-54, ordered it from the same place you linked, got the maintenance kit to extend warranty and Rapid Air system to run lines. I’m considering building an enclosure for it inside, maybe eventually move it into the container down the road.

Cool, thanks for the clarity. I’m committed to the QT-54, ordered it from the same place you linked, got the maintenance kit to extend warranty and Rapid Air system to run lines. I’m considering building an enclosure for it inside, maybe eventually move it into the container down the road.

Good thing is that you won't be disappointed in it's performance! I got the same 'warranty kit' and changed my oil last night for the first time (~100 hours). Oil still looked new!

Can you build a tiny enclosure outside the shop, but attached to it?

Compressor will need airflow, so you can't completely enclose it. Any airflow provision will be where noise gets out. Having it attached to the shop, but on the outside, will help keep the noise outside.

Last edited:

Intake silencer = 80 series dorkel/snorkel? would make it overlandable

My early birthday present arrived today...as I mentioned above, I was committed to the Quincy Jon referred to, ordered it earlier that morning from the same website as well, aircompressordirect.com. I had planned to pick one up locally, Northern Tool locally had listed 1 in stock via online but when I called to confirm before driving from CH to Cary, took 3 calls to speak to a human then he put me on hold to put eyes on it and never came back. Aircompressdirect.com was $100 cheaper, free shipping, had the maintenance kit in stock (that extend the warranty), ordered last Thur am, arrived today...
B18C689A-7786-491B-B9B3-91C107E065E4.jpeg

I had the driver put it into the back of my truck so I can more easily put it in it’s end location. I also listened to Jon regarding the sound, talked to my electrician and decided to install it into my container. I’ll have a 2 1/2” pass-thru between (<24”) that I’ll also run the 3/4” RapidAir pipe into the shop with a remote switch in the shop.

I did get lucky enough to get all my crap inside the shop before our little weather event, so glad I did so since we got a bit of frozen precip...
B80E4DE7-8E9C-404F-818B-E9C42534C30E.jpeg

83AB216F-BE01-420B-BB25-80C444F34895.jpeg

2 stage, 5 hp. 15.7 @90 psi, 15.2 @175. 60 gallon tank.

Awesome unit. I have been eyeing the same one.

I decided to take the task of creating a pass-thru between the shop and container. I had some leftover 2 1/2” galvanized pipe to use to house power to compressor, 3/4” air line and wiring for remote switch. Remembering how much I appreciate power/neumatic tools for taking such tasks, got it through and make final cut flush with electrical box. Yes, the image is true, I included a slight slope to miss the electrical box inside, in other words, I missed it by 1/2”, should have started in shop and worked toward container but wanted to tackle the hardest part first and cutting through the side of the container was my biggest challenge with hand tools.
242C84EC-6718-41B5-9C66-5D82AAF51446.jpeg

4DDFC66C-C3B8-49AA-A0F8-9C88AD01952C.jpeg

Joe dropped by for a visit so I coerced him into helping move the compressor into the container. Worked out pretty well using the Honda Pioneer and it’s tilt bed to help prevent us from hurting ourselves. It will tuck in nicely at the back of the container, keeping the noise in there.
F9504120-4F53-4FE8-A4C3-FA6AA3DD5410.jpeg

Took the lazy route and ponied up for a RapidAir 90’ garage kit in 3/4” rigid pipe, added some extra 90’s and T’s to make sure I had enough to put air where I want. I’ve read a lot of positive reviews and hope my investment in this system pays off with easy installation
05A7BA89-EE5B-41FC-959D-F2213E92FAA7.jpeg

031DDAED-FB7E-4A15-A733-4D5DF2509003.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom