Finally got me one (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am new to IH8Mud, but have been lurking for the past several months. There is a great source of information on FJs in here. Picked up a 1978 FJ40 on Tuesday this week. (graduated High school in 1978) I have been waiting to acquire one of these for the cheapest price/highest quality I could find and one my wife would let me buy also! I have been a owner of several Toyota 4x4s over the years. Almost bought a green 1972 FJ40 in 1979 for 1800 bucks, but passed up on the deal! I have fully restored a rusted out 1985 Xtracab SR5 pickup (Fiberglass bed, engine-trans overhaul, etc.) in 1996. I am ready to do this again, somewhat. I'd like to get this FJ40 unrusted and more trail ready over the next few months. :D

0209071359a.jpg

0209071401.jpg

FJ40yeah003.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, how much did ya give for it ?

Tell your wife you won't spend all your free time working on the new toy :lol:

Welcome to MUD .. :flipoff2:

Isn't that the FJ40 from the auction out in Cheyenne? It's a great looking piece. I was on the phone getting ready to bid against you.. Since I wasn't right there to see it, I didn't dare go higher since I wasn't there in person. Looks like a great find..

More Pics!! I'd love to see more of this 40!

And Congrats!! Great looking 78

Ahh dirtywilks, so you were the guy on the phone. :eek: I was shaking like a harlot in church thinking someone with a fist of bills was going to outbid me. Wanted to get a cheaper price, but I think $3750 was good enough. Many like this are selling for 5-7K. Drove it back to the Fort on the 14th. Ran sweet at 60-65 mph. It needs a rear crankshaft seal and Clutch throwout bearing first, then I am going to deal with the spring bushings, rust in the bed and the seats. I'll post more pics when I split the tranny and engine apart for the seals and bearings there.

We're in the same boat! Good to see I'm not the only one. I just bought my rig a couple weeks back, having played with a 4-Runner a few years back. Had to sell that one to start my business :crybaby: , but things are going well with the company so I'm back and better ;) . Good luck with the ride.

DSC01112.jpg

mutt.jpg

Thanks everyone. Mutt, that Smittbuilt looks good on the 4Runner picture. And that FJ40 looks really nice as well.

First month update:

Bodywork now almost suitable for another two years use. Believe me, it looks better at a distance, but it suits its purpose. Need to attend to the oil seals next ;)

FJ40yeah3172007014.jpg

FJ40yeah3172007017.jpg

FJ40yeah3172007019.jpg

Last edited:
damn! looks new!

Nice find!

Hey, this looks good, and you got a great deal. Prices are nuts on the west coast. Congratulations, and welcome to the site. You'll find a wealth of expertise and plenty of laughs here! Keep us posted on your progress, if you have a chance.

Seem that I'm in the right place with the way this conversation is going. I just bought one myself, after looking for the "perfect" one for the price. My tenth post, so now I can upload it to my profile...

Looks like I am in the same boat. I have recently acquired a 1958 FJ25 after many years of different rigs ranging from Chevy to Toyota. Like many of you I had been searching for a FJ for a long time but many of my other projects had been keeping me from getting one untill just recently; I broke down and with no regrets, but maybe a few to many cars, bought one.

Your rigs look great and FJ40zen you have made great progress and look forward to see more.

My near future plans are to add an OME Dakar 2.5in w/Nitrochargers, (5)Goodyear Wrangler M/T 285/75-16s and some greasable shackles as soon as I acquire all the above.

After these items, I will go for repairing the small oil leaks. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom