Finally got me one (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So are you going to get bigger tires or keep the same size? If so, what will you go to? Looks 100% better than when you got it by the way!! -Wes

When I get the dough. Have to see whats on sale then. i've got to iron out some hacked desmog issues first. I usually travel to the mtns. and need to go from 5k to 10k+ without issues right now. Besides that is next weekend's project.

On the tires, maybe 35's, but I need a new garage to put it in.:eek:

Need a spare.

~3 month update. Money getting low, but found 4 Firestone M/Ts on Craigslist. Can't wait to try 'em out! It fits in the garage also (1/2 inch to spare!)

100_1528.jpg

Need to cut those bolts a little...
100_1532.jpg

Got the U-bolts cut after this trip to Crystal Mountain.
100_1578.jpg

...until 2011 (Paint, new steel, etc.)

Last edited:
Mini-truck power steering

Decision was made to move to the very nice minitruck gear I have had laying around in the garage for quite some time...(Thanks Coloradobound etal) The stock gear was getting loose at 1/8 turn.;p
Steering1.jpg

Drill drool after flattening off. A propane torch :eek: and patience is enough to get this one apart. I saw frame primer under the stock mount.:cool:
Steering2.jpg

Pull the steering column out a little bit. (of course)
Steering3.jpg

The brakes are baby arse smooth. More to prove that this may be actually 65k miles as on the odo. I hope so anyway.
Steering4.jpg

Get me some hoses, center it well, drill the holes and bolt it down and I am almost there.
Steering5.jpg

This was :banana: fairly easy with 100 degrees in the garage, a bunch of breaks (yes, beer:beer: and thought) and lots of patience since it is not my Dailydriver.

Last edited:
Here are the rest of the Power Steering pictures. It is working great.
Cruizah6.JPG
Cruizah5.JPG
Cruizah4.JPG

Hardtop is now on. New door seals and it is much tighter that when the top was on in the first picture at the top when I brought it home. I am done for the winter. More updates as they happen in the Spring.:cool:
Cruizah3.JPG
Cruizah2.JPG

your rig looks great!!! like it more with the hardtop on... great job. for me the soft top design made it look like a j**p.

u have snow already?

Temporarily at 6500+ last weekend. It is probably melted down a bit now.

your rig looks great!!! like it more with the hardtop on... great job. for me the soft top design made it look like a j**p.

I agree. They sorta resemble J**ps when the soft tops are on.

Last edited:
Here are the rest of the Power Steering pictures. It is working great.
How's the power steering and what kind of pulley is that on the pump? Lookin' good especially with the hardtop.

Great job on the transformation.....:cheers:

How's the power steering and what kind of pulley is that on the pump? Lookin' good especially with the hardtop.
Thanks all :cool:. The steering is effortless with its known limits when turning left. I rub the inside left tire every now and then when turning sharp during normal driving, but try to not let it happen on the trail as much as possible.

Also, that is a $MAF$ pulley.

Top installed. Bought it for almost 1/2 price NIB. I think I'm going to paint the bezel this color ;)

Wow! if somebody said they were going to put that color top on a blue FJ I would've said it wouldn't work... but it actually looks quite nice.

Cheers,
Gadget

Retro'd

Been a while so I thought I'd add to the thread again before I forget. Cruiser is still running great after many trips. Here is my latest updates. The first pic is from early 2009.

I am partial to many of the older year's body parts. I like the wing window, so I got some earlier 1974 doors and adapted them to the 78 tub. I also like the marker lights from the earlier '70s so I added that too after obtaining e-69 turn signals, which I believe are the hardiest and remind me of my childhood years on the Farm.
DSC02111.JPG
DSC02110.JPG

Last edited:
At the time of the last few pictures, they were 1/2 worn 285/75-16s. Since burning them down on the snow runs, there is like 1/4" tread left now. They are 21/32" new.

The cruiser is sitting in the garage now. I am currently putting together a full roll-cage and contemplating doing some work on the steel body panels. (Rear quarter panels, sill, bed and rocker panels) New tires, 4:1 Orion and ARB lockers are still on my mind

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom