fill 'er up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The manual for my '96 says the tank holds 25 gal.

I've driven as much as 30 miles with the little orange light on and the most its ever taken is 22.5 gal.

What's the most fuel you have gotten in and how far did you drive with the warning light on?

Ed

Well if you get about 10-15 mpg that sounds about right. Lately I've been filling up when i could becuase I have to have AC on full blast. I driven down to 3gals left in tank. Don't know how many miles I drove but I think the total was like 350 or so. The 80's dont get so bad of a milage during the winter when your not running the AC.

Glad you posted this question...I've wondered the same thing.

I've only 'pushed' my orange 'low fuel' light to 30 miles, and at fill up have NEVER been able to put more than 22 gallons (U.S.) in @ fill-up....and that's after the light has been on for 20 miles or so. If in fact the manual is correct and the tank holds 25 gallons, and at my average of 13 mpg (city), then it suggests I ought to be able to go for almost 60 miles from the time the light first comes on.

.....I'm just scared to try it, regardless of the Seinfeld episode.

Yep, same experience with my '94. I have gone and put in 24.5 gal in the past. I figure when idiot light comes on I have fifty miles safely (5 gal. x 10mpg - very conservative) and may be able to push it to 75 miles if desparate! I average 14mpg street/freeway combination, 12 street only and 17-18 freeway (freeway=interstate for you folks back east ;) )

I just scanned my fuel logs and the most I have put in is 23.29 gallons (on 1/20/1995 26,189.6 miles, 302.7 trip, 13.00 mpg) ::) .

And no, I did not make that up 8) .

I find it takes around 21.5 to 22 gallons if I fill shortly after the light comes on. I have been thinking about hauling a 5 gallon can and then running it out to see how much the fuel system will pull. Just never got around to it.

If I fill up right when the light comes on she struggles to even drink 20 gallons. Usually it is like dumb and dumber where the '84 sheepdog overflows a bit. :D

24.9, I couldn't get another .1 in it. Pretty stupid, but I was happy to make the station. Usually my light comes on with 20 gallons gone. My '97 manual has different capacities on the back cover and in the capacities section. Can't remember what they are, both cruisers are gone right now.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=3742;start=0#msg27520 date=1058485875]
I just scanned my fuel logs and the most I have put in is 23.29 gallons (on 1/20/1995 26,189.6 miles, 302.7 trip, 13.00 mpg) ::) .

And no, I did not make that up 8) .
[/quote]
But what about tire pressure, wind speed, direction and average grade? ::) ;)

It's supposed to come on with 5 gals left. I only get about 6 to 6.5 mpg so gotta make sure I know where the closest station is. :'(

If you had a fuel flow meter ;) you would know how many gal used/left in tank. Add the meter to GPS and you will know the mpg too 8)
kurt

Jeez Junk, why such crappy mpg? Lead foot?? ???

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=3742;start=0#msg27582 date=1058500596]
It's supposed to come on with 5 gals left. I only get about 6 to 6.5 mpg so gotta make sure I know where the closest station is. :'(
[/quote]

Hey Junk, have you ever checked your TPS. There is no reason you should get that low of a mileage. Something is wrong somewhere.

Cristo,
Thanks for the input!
Junk's post :eek: me and made me think I would never make some of the mods I have been dreaming of....... :D

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=2;threadid=3742;start=0#msg27547 date=1058493041]But what about tire pressure, wind speed, direction and average grade? ::) ;)
[/quote]

was that a european or african swallow?? :p

"Yer arm's off"..............."No it's not"..............

"Bring out yer dead.........."

::)

Dumbest movie...EVER!!! :eek:

I'M INVINCIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your a looney!

Rogue,

NOT EVEN DUDE............. ::)

Hands down, an all-time classic.

Remember, your discount structure hangs in the balance here................. 8)

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=3742;start=0#msg27582 date=1058500596]
It's supposed to come on with 5 gals left.
[/quote]

That seems to be the case. That means the needle is on the E and the light is on with just less than 1/4 of a tank left. That seems odd to me. Must have been designed by the same engineer that positioned the heater hose

Ed

Ed,

Think of it as one of those "Don't say we didn't warn you" lights. I remember an episode of Home Improvment where Jill burned up the motor in the Belair. She told Tim that the light shoulda got brighter if she was REALLY in trouble. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom