Builds Farm Fresh LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been working on the steering as well. It was tight but wanted to dart around a bit and would not center itself. I added some toe in and that helped but not enough. I did some research....here on MUD.... and found a lot out about the caster angle. Checked mine and it was about .7* to 1.5* negative! Hmmm, this could be it? I got 2* shims from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters where I got my suspension. Just got back from lunch with some highway and some around town driving and it is a vast improvement! I am not getting any darting and it is trying to center now after turns and lane changes. Really pleased!

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

KT40, I talked to kyle about the rocker panels. He is not inclined to do them for two reasons. First is his cnc plasma cutter is shot and he is not sure when he will fix it or get a new one. But the main reason is that he had to do a lot of fitting to get mine in and he doesn't want to put out something that is going to cause problems. Sorry.

Well, thanks for asking anyways.

Got the LV up to the eastern shore of VA for the first time. Wanted to get the steering a bit more stable before going over the 17 mile bridge with two two lane tunnels! You can see the forest of cranes at the first tunnel. They are getting started on building two new tunnels but last I heard they are a year behind schedule already. The 2* shims have helped a lot with the steering and I like the way it feels. Way more predictable but I may try some 4* just to see how they feel. What's the down side of too much positive caster angle?

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

So, after two days stuck in Jackson Wy. airport with no end in site, I rented a Nissan Frontier (it was all they had with 4x4 and it was blizzard conditions) and headed to Salt Lake City to catch a red eye back to the east coast. :mad::censor::mad::censor:. I head out into the snow and it quickly turns to rain, yeah! I am about a half hour outside of SLC and the drive was not bad. My fortune has changed and things are looking up. Rain has stopped and I look over and see this.
IMG_1169[1].JPG

It makes me think, I have just finished a week long hunt with my brother and friends in WY. We had a great time and life is really not that bad. So the last two days of your life have been a total waste just sitting in an airport being strung along by :censor: American Airlines! I can deal with a red eye and I have arrived in SLC without too much hassle. Then a passing thought goes through my head......Isn't the Landcruiser museum out here somewhere? And by "out here" I am referring to the western states. I had no clue. At this point, I have about 11 hours to kill before my flight. I google it and am absolutely floored that it is in SLC!!:bounce::clap::bounce2: I hit directions and in 34 minutes, I am at the door.
IMG_1171[1].JPG

It is a very inauspicious entry to the sole reason for me to have continued breathing for the last two days! Inside was amazing!
IMG_1174[1].JPG

Row after row of amazing Landcruisers from all over the world. If you have never been, it is worth the trip and don't skimp on the time allotment. It is a truly awesome and Dan is a fantastic care taker. He was so helpful and informative. Not to mention he put up with my giddy ass bouncing around the place for about 3 hours! Sooo many cool trucks. My favorite was the FJ28 LVA. So cool and it looks like the little brother to my LV!
IMG_1257[2].JPG

Then there was the 43 with a half hard top and half soft top? Crazy. Then all the 55's that had been made into wreckers and fire trucks. The beautiful 60's Then the whole 70 line up was a treat. The Mega Crusiers were pretty cool. I could go on and on but you need to go see them for yourself all 90+ of them.

I get back from WY and a week later, my buddy is having his birthday celebration at Overland East! Well, I can't pass that up. Got the LV all gassed up and packed up but the tent poles won't fit! I quick shipped some Smittybilt clamps and made two racks from a piece of Sapele I had laying around. Strapped them to the top and off w went. Met my nephew up there with his 55 and then a couple more friends joined us! It was a great time. I wish I had had more time to seek out the mudders that were there but I did see Chris from C2C and whom I bought my weather strip kit from. He had a sweet 75 pick up on an 80 chassis with a nice camping set up on the back. Did some wheeling on the courses and I was very pleased with the LV. She handled it all very easily. The courses are an exercise and not really meant to stop you, but the suspension got a full work out and performed really well. Thanks Kurt for the OME! I had no rubbing with the 33's at all, very pleased. The 5.3 and low range was very easy to control. I did find out that my front breaks may be a bit tight. While on the rock course I was pushing rocks out of the way with the front tires. Maybe a proportioning valve is in order? Got a few pics but it was hard 'cause I was driving. Gotta get the ones my buddies took and I will post more.
IMG_1295[1].JPG
IMG_1283[1].JPG

How is your windshield and rear window rubber doing? Do they leak at all? Mine leak in the rain and i want to replace them, i used FJ40 windshield rubber.

My front leaks were the ends but together.

I replaced my Windshield glass just before the 45 run on Labor Day. I also used 40 series rubber gasket. I ended up not cutting the rubber. The mistake I made was having too thick of glass made. 5/16”. The flange on the inside flares out a bit. Haven’t driven in the rain yet to see if it leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom