Builds Farm Fresh LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The "Patina Preserver" I got from Eastwood gave up the ghost and the rust started to turn bright orange. It lasted about three months. Way too short to use it again considering you have to tape everything off to spray it. So I am switching to another product. I did the CLR scrub down followed by a good wash with paint prep solution. Then I will let her dry for a few days until I get some warmer weather! She's as clean as she has ever been!

IMG_1557[1].JPG

IMG_1558[1].JPG

IMG_1559[1].JPG

I have read the whole patina thread and looked around the internet and read all I can find about what I can use to keep the rust from continuing. It came down to Fluid Film and LPS 3. they are very similar products. I bought both and did some testing on a rusty piece of painted metal outside my shop. They both worked well but the LPS 3 actually dried over a few days and this was the deciding factor. For the exterior body, I needed something that I could wipe on and would dry. For all the other undercarriage places, I would use the fluid film because it doesn't dry and will keep working its way into those nooks and crannies.
I got three 20oz spray bottles and a 6 x 9 white scotchbrite pad. I cut the pad into quarters and put on the rubber gloves. I sprayed and rubbed for the next two and a half hours. All the door jams, eyebrow, and those little pockets above the front doors. I got it everywhere I could. It took about one and a half bottles. and three of the four sections of scotchbrite pad. You can see what they looked like after I was done. While the stuff is a brown liquid, it did not really show itself except on the white hood. I wiped the extra off of the white paint with a paper towel and it looked fine. didn't even show elsewhere on the paint and didn't darken the rust much either. I think it came out really good. It dries to a waxy soft feel with a flat luster that I think works well for the rust and the old paint. Now we will see how it holds up!? It is already a lot easier to apply and no taping off! I used a paper towel to get it off the rubber seals and the paint on the inside of the doors. I only got a couple pictures but will post more when I get it out in the rain.

IMG_1596[1].JPG

IMG_1597[1].JPG

Wngrog,
Thank you for all your writing on this. It was a real help. What longevity are you seeing with the FF? Is your vehicle stored outside? Daily driver?

It stays under cover but not always dry.
Every time I wash it or anything I just gice it a light spray and wipe as much as I can off so it does not attract dirt (on body)

Afrer 3 years of doing it my metal is well soaked and treated. I mainly do it to shine it up now.

Did you add more caster to your front axle? +2 to +4 degrees total will make it track very well. (be sure to add longer center pins)
Where did the wing window rubber come from? Was that part of the kit from Chris?
This is such a fun build; thanks for all the details.

I got 4 degree shims and have not switched them out. It really has improved with the 2* shims and a few thousand miles under her belt. Topped 5000 miles and did the first oil change and the water pump went bad so changed that too. She really seems to drive nicely now so I doubt I will change the shims. I think the majority of the issue was caster angle but I also think I had one side pinion bearings a little tight so it was not centering well. Now that they have worn in and loosened a bit, she drives nice and tight and predictable. Latest challenge is a P0200 error code. "Open injector circuit". Pulled, cleaned and greased all the connectors but it has come back and now seems to come and go by the hour? Not sure if I have a wiring harness issue or an ECM issue?

Hey that HABS picture, are you part of HABS? I attended a seminar a bunch of years ago by a gentleman who was THE HABS photographer out of D.C. I think. Can’t remember his name. The seminar was on large format photography at a LF conference in Albuquerque iirc. LF is a hobby along with muddling with old LC’s. Hijack over.

Not a whole lot going on. Been drivin' and smilin'! I did have to change the oil since I hit 5000 miles and I was painfully reminded that I have not finished my build book for the LV. Took all weekend to find the right oil filter because I used a different low profile pan from an '07 or later Camero. Had an injector circuit code coming and going I could not figure out. Took it to my mechanic and it seems I had four injectors misfiring. He traced it back to old corroded connectors, replaced them all and now it is smooth running again! The LPS-3 I put on the body seems to be holding up well to driving in the rain. Still have a windshield leak I need to trace down. Correction, the installer needs to trace down! He has tried three times now. He did not use any sealant when installing? I asked him about that and he was confident I did not need it and he said he would repair any leeks! I am thinking he will not be happy to see me again? Oh well, his fault. He should have used the sealant.
I did have a first yesterday though. My first Surprise Drive-By Birthday Party! Had a big piece of cardboard in the shop and pulled out every color paint I had laying around. It was a beautiful day and turn out was big. She was very surprised and happy! Another LV mission accomplished!

IMG_1694.JPG

Haven't posted in a while. Just been drivin'. Got about 11k under the belt now and so far so good. Really pleased with it all. I have a minor leak in the a/c that I am chasing down. Made some roof racks. Put a second round of the LPS3 rust protectant on the outside. The paint is still flaking off a little bit each time but it is minor. I guess if it ever gets down to it and all the paint has dropped off I can paint it?
Rust protectant 1.jpg
rust protectant 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom