Fan clutch removal and replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for any emergency help I can get with this.

I thought getting the clutch unbolted was going to be the hard part, but that wasn’t too bad. I can’t for the life of me get it off the engine though. Is there a trick or am I doing something wrong? I’ve tried a crow bar, wiggling it, lifting up slightly, it’s not come more than maybe a 1/16 of an inch off.

Also now discovering the wonderful patch job that was previously done to the fan shroud. I can maybe piece it back together with the zip tie holes they drilled, but definitely going to be missing one of the bolt mount tabs. Anything better to do with that? I’m in the Denver area, how hard are they to source?

Thx

Looking for any emergency help I can get with this.

I thought getting the clutch unbolted was going to be the hard part, but that wasn’t too bad. I can’t for the life of me get it off the engine though. Is there a trick or am I doing something wrong? I’ve tried a crow bar, wiggling it, lifting up slightly, it’s not come more than maybe a 1/16 of an inch off.

Also now discovering the wonderful patch job that was previously done to the fan shroud. I can maybe piece it back together with the zip tie holes they drilled, but definitely going to be missing one of the bolt mount tabs. Anything better to do with that? I’m in the Denver area, how hard are they to source?

Thx

I wedged a screwdriver in and pried. I then turned it and kept prying on each side until it broke loose. I would put a nut on the end of the stud so your fan doesn't come flying off into the radiator. Sometimes the clutch fan can be extremely stubborn since it's been on for the the past 180k miles, but it'll come off. I also found spraying some penetrating oil and letting it sit for a bit helps as well. Good luck!

Is there no puller for this part?

For future readers, the raised nose on the end of the pulley usually gets rusted to the inside of the fan clutch.
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 11.12.01 AM.png

Be careful with screw driver or chisel, the pulley and flange can get buggerd- use small incremental steps all the way around.

Install: Put a tiny dab/thin coat of syn. grease, or silicone grease on the little nose and the recess where the nose fits in. This will make it much easier to remove next time around. (! not too much grease, it will spin out and might make a mess on your serpentine belt)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom