fan clutch mod intel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OP... new stock blue hub fan clutch here running in ATX. Truck runs at 185* day in day out, so I'm thinking that's its normal operating temp after flush, new hoses, thermostat & red stuff mixed 50/50. Highest temp I've seen with AC on is 195 after exiting freeway and piling back into stop and go traffic, it drops back below 190* once I get moving again.

If you want to oil up your new blue hub go for it, but in my experience I haven't seen the need. BTW I don't tow so maybe that is a consideration.

At 104F my rig sees 194 to 196 hauling a trailer at low (sub 30 mph) speeds.
Before I changed to the blue hub clutch (unmodifed) I was getting 226+.
If I lived in Death Valley, I might put some different Silicon Oil in it, but here in SC where it only gets to 100F once in while, I'll just leave it stock. Its working fine.

Dude! Just put the frigging thing in your truck and run it... don't mess with what ain't broke.

If you choose to F with it, you'll need one of these:

Or just bite the bullet and get one of these, everybody needs a multimeter anyway.

hey man. thanks for the help. i picked up a "second" analog thermometer the other day from the restaurant supply place since i can't find my other one from when i was measuring vent temps.
and i got part way toward thinking about a digital one. can i buy this part i got from your link?(!) i have a fluke 87 i got for $50 from a pawn shop and i'd love an excuse to "extend its reach"...

9F14C8A1-CF21-441A-8AA2-BEF2A971DD8D.jpeg

95087D77-8968-4BB8-8E12-DB47D1C185FD.png

OP... new stock blue hub fan clutch here running in ATX. Truck runs at 185* day in day out, so I'm thinking that's its normal operating temp after flush, new hoses, thermostat & red stuff mixed 50/50. Highest temp I've seen with AC on is 195 after exiting freeway and piling back into stop and go traffic, it drops back below 190* once I get moving again.

If you want to oil up your new blue hub go for it, but in my experience I haven't seen the need. BTW I don't tow so maybe that is a consideration.
Those are some low temps....weird mine usually is higher when I am on highway speeds when it's hot outside but it cools off when I am at idle or lower speeds. It's not 'too' hot but I see a difference. I have the LandTank (WitsEnd) modified fan clutch.

Last edited:
You will need to go to flukes web site and see if it's compatible.

hey man. thanks for the help. i picked up a "second" analog thermometer the other day from the restaurant supply place since i can't find my other one from when i was measuring vent temps.
and i got part way toward thinking about a digital one. can i buy this part i got from your link?(!) i have a fluke 87 i got for $50 from a pawn shop and i'd love an excuse to "extend its reach"...

View attachment 2982814

View attachment 2982815

Many Fluke DMM's will read/display temperature, even if they don't have a dedicated function icon for it.

But not with the temp probe you have posted.

IF your unit will display temps.....you need a BK temp probe.

Then most likely you'll have to select Mv, press the yellow button and follow the prompts.

I'm sure there is a users manual on line somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom