fairey overdrive ! how to take apart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok Guys I need to separate my 3 speed tranny from 3 speed xcase with Fairey overdrive attached ! I do not have any Manuals on how to take apart , I did take all 5 bolts off that hold tranny to xcase , but there must be something else ???? any info please thanks

You need to remove tthe back cover of the overdrive. Then lock the transmission in gear. From the back use a 1/2" drive to remove first special lock that fits on the tail shaft of the transmission. It might take some force. Once that is off fish out the special lock washer. Then remover the second lock. This should allow the transfer case and overdrive to be removed from the transmission. Then remove the four nuts and two bolts that hold the overdrive to the transfer case. This also holds the bracket for the shifter in place. Move the overdrive off a little and this should allow you to remove the C clip that holds the drive gear in it's shaft from the front side. After that the two should come apart. Unless I missed something.

almost

???? gotta be something else when I take back cover off ,all I see is big gears no big nut ? looks like gears should slide out back ? but they will not ? gotta be some kind of trick ?? Thanks for any Info !!!!

Look down the center you should see a 1/'2" square hole. Use a !/2" extension to fit in the hole. Then thread it out counter clockwise. Just like a normal right hand thread. It's not a bolt more like a nut but the threads are on the out side. You should be about to see the threads on the piece is screws into. Then the special lock and then another one.

pics

will not come out !! should I take out that big snap ring ? I'm not a dummy , I just do not want to force anything or damage it ?? I appreciate your help !
overdrive.jpg

If you can wait until tomorrow I can get you some pitures of the parts that need to come out. If you clean the grease up in the middle you should see a square hole and then to little round holes. The special lock has to ears theat fit into those little holes. Once it was tightened a punch was used to crush part of the lock into the second piece. That piece threaded on to the tailshaft of the transmission. Until that one is removed it will not come apart. The outer one just keeps the inner one from coming lose.
0003.JPG

thank you ! and I8Mud !

Thank you !!! You the Man !! and wow ! you got some extra parts !!

Here is a few pictures of how it looks. The three parts in the first picture are what needs to come out. The second pictures shows how it should look. The third picture shows the threads inside.
150.JPG
152.JPG
157.JPG

First picture shows a used and unused lock. This is the reason you are going to have to use force to remove the first one threaded collar. An impact will help. The second picture shows the two differnet collars that screw on the back of the tailshaft. The one with a step down works on the four speed. The last picture is the piece with the gears on it. This piece and the spacer that fits infront front of it on the tailshaft are diffrent between the four and three speed. The drive gear for the transfer case is different between the two also. Most the other parts are the same. I plan to use one to put a three speed transfer case on to a H41 I have. The biggest advantage is the spline piece in the overdrive rides in a differnt spot on the tailshaft which helps me. I got the transmission cheap but the tailshaft is pretty worn.:cheers:
154.JPG
156.JPG
158.JPG

no time ? I"m running the rubithon next week !! been getting rig ready . Will tackle overdrive on the back side , I"ll report back ,& thanks !! you are a Fairey overdrive Guru

try again

I"M back from Rubithon ( 5 days of cruiserheads ) looked at back of overdrive ? 3/8 ratchet extension will not fit in that hole ????? I guess I am a dummy ??? I just do-not get it ?? do I bash that hole with a 1/2 rod and make that hole bigger ?? can you come over to my house and HELP ?? These are new pics ,and has been cleaned ???
overdrive 017.jpg
overdrive 016.jpg

I am beginning to think someone did a home repair. Like they were missing the correct parts and hammered some other collar on there to hold it in place. It does look like someone hammered on that outer round piece right? Is that center piece the tailshaft of the transmission? If so can you take a long punch and see if you can drive it out. I guess at this point you could remove the two bolts and four nuts that hold the overdrive onto the back of he transfer case. But I don't think that will help anything. Once you remove the five bolts that hold the transfer case onto the transmission the only thing left is the tailshaft. If your remove the snap ring on the back make sure you don't lose any of the small parts are the collar that shifts in and out of overdrive. Looking thru my parts I have more four speed parts than three speed. Not sure if I have a that piece that in the last picture in post # nine. The other pieces I should have. The one that threads on to the tailshaft, the special lock and the one the threads on behind that. Infront of that is a collar with two cage needle bearings. I have those also for a three and four speed.

living in the past

I GOT IT !! somebody put that treaded lock slug on backwards !!! #%#% It pulled right out ?? after that I got tranny off ! I cannot thank you enough! You are the overdrive man ! Thanks you & I8mud , Also I may need some parts ? I"ll PM ya ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom