Factory Toyota Snorkel on BJ70 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been asked for pictures of factory Toyota Snorkels for the last several months, so I finally broke down and installed one on one of my Canadian spec 70 series crusiers. Here are some photos.

More photos here:

http://www.westcoastcruisers.com/skorkelinstall.htm

Cheers,

Michael
DSC00768a.jpg
DSC00769a.jpg
DSC00775a.jpg

GregB installed an OEM snorkel like that on his BJ74 while I opted to install the Safari Snorkel kit on my BJ74.

The OEM snorkel was cool because it had the factory cyclonic pre-filter hat already included, but a couple of things I didn't like about it is the extra seam on the snorkel body that was sealed only by foam, and the need to purchase a specialized air cleaner can to receive the snorkel (resulting in $$$ spent).

i beleive that Micheals are supplied with the canister and the safari are great for deep water crossings but i think the facotry are more for severe dusty conditions...
i have both here and can see how each has an advantage over the other...

Stone said:
GregB installed an OEM snorkel like that on his BJ74 while I opted to install the Safari Snorkel kit on my BJ74.

The OEM snorkel was cool because it had the factory cyclonic pre-filter hat already included, but a couple of things I didn't like about it is the extra seam on the snorkel body that was sealed only by foam, and the need to purchase a specialized air cleaner can to receive the snorkel (resulting in $$$ spent).

I offer the complete skorkel with the airbox, or just the snorkel, I also offer the complete setup for the 79 series that comes with washer tank as well. All of the kits do come with the rubber transition from snorkel body to airbox so even the snorkel only kits are not that bad to connect to existing air box, all you need is 6" x 2 5/8" OD steel piping (thin wall exhaust pipe) and you are all set.

Cheers,

Michael

wesintl said:
Again, very nice Michael. Maybe on my next 70 i'll go OEM. I don't think too many of us really use the safari for true water fording. I like the oem hats a little better too.
Here is a pic of my 40 with a safari and a OEM hat.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=87995&stc=1&d=1155423310

Great looking 40. I have wanted to put a snorkel on my 42 series, but I really want to put the snorkel on the passenger side, it works better with the 3B, but I don't think anyone sells one that fits on the passenger side (US/Canadian spec passenger side that is).

Cheers,

Michael

Entaran said:
I use my safari for water fording. Works wonders.

I agree if you have to have water tight and want as easy a possible to get it safari is a better route. In looking at the factory snorkel with a little effort it can be very water tight.

Cheers,

Michael

i know if i had a high end unit that wanted a snorkel it wouldbe the factory setup but for actuall off roading i would go with the safari. the 2 piece part and the cyclonic air intake just doesn't sit well with me for the tight trails around here.
factory still looks the best though in my books...

wesintl said:
I don't think too many of us really use the safari for true water fording.

You mean like this?

BJ74, factory snorkle...with a little extra goop in key locations...

gb
ACT2006.jpg

does anybody know the part number for the top on this particular snorkel ?

i beleive that Micheals are supplied with the canister and the safari are great for deep water crossings but i think the facotry are more for severe dusty conditions...
i have both here and can see how each has an advantage over the other...

x2 Toyota are calling their snorkles "Dust snorkles " these days and no warranty against water ingress

I offer the complete skorkel with the airbox, or just the snorkel, I also offer the complete setup for the 79 series that comes with washer tank as well. All of the kits do come with the rubber transition from snorkel body to airbox so even the snorkel only kits are not that bad to connect to existing air box, all you need is 6" x 2 5/8" OD steel piping (thin wall exhaust pipe) and you are all set.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi people,

I recently got the OEM snorkel and installed it on my BJ74; unfortunately I didn't consider the importance of buying the correct air filter canister and had to cut the originally radiator-faced intake pipe and weld it fender-faced. I believe I did a good job but somehow it doesn't feel as OEMish as I wished.

So, I started looking for the EPC partnumber for the correct canister but before buying it I wanted to be sure it was the right one.

Bellow you'll find the a reference pic and EPC screenshot with the partnumber I believe is the right one (17700-17280).

Also, if there's anyone willing to sell one of these I'd really appreciate you could reply or PM me.

Thanks in advance.
image.jpg
OEM Canister.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom