Factory suspension: arb bull and 12k winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can the factory suspension handle an arb deluxe bull bar and 12k winch? I have money to add to the rig, but not suspension right now. Since it’s not triple locked, I want recovery before suspension if it can handle it.

E9EDBCA3-9A22-4A70-AA1A-915066E03119.jpeg

I have an ARB on mine now with stock suspension and a Warn M12 with synthetic rope waiting to go in it. The ARB dropped me a little less than an inch and weighs about 70 pounds. The winch is another 75-80 and I don’t want to drop it another inch. I don’t think it’s so much about the weight, but the fact that it’s adding all of the weight to the front, lifting up in the rear. I’m going to wait to add the winch until I add my rear bumper.

Hi, Ours needed suspension upgrade first. Arb is a heavy bumper. Mike

I suspect you won't be happy with the added weight on the stock coils. Are the coils original? Then they're pretty tired, too, which compounds the issue.

ARB's stock height suspension, the 861/862 spring combo, is intended for dealing with just this situation. Other brands likely cover the same ground, but I'm not familiar with them. In any case, the 861/862 doesn't need caster correction and shocks and brake lines can remain in use. I found I needed more dampening than the OEM Tokico shocks offered up front, so swapped in a pair of ARB Nitro Sports and that solved it. All you absolutely need to gain it's advantages are the 4 coils and maybe a pair of new front shocks, if that helps the budgeting process.

It can handle the weight as in it will work. But, you will have geometry changes, another member already pointed out the rear will sit higher. Keep in mind, changes in load and weight distribution changes vehicle handling.

It will affect, braking and steering and you will have a negative effect on compression and rebound.

I went the opposite direction and did lift with heavy coils before the bumper/ winch and rear tire carrier.

You'd be surprised how far you can go with a non locked 80 with proper tires/ inflation and the CDL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom