Factory Subwoofer Info Guide (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet! I want one!

I need to go back in and update my mounting ring to, but I've got to space out instead of in as I used a 10" sub and it won't clear the top shoulder without the additional depth. I have the 8 gauge for the sub amp to the left hand rear quarter, just need to pull the seats and rear quarters and run it across. I had to trim the rear quarter cover as it was threatening to dent into the sub face . . .
I never looked in the left hand side to see how much room was in there for a sub amp, but I’m assuming much more room than the right side. I wanted my sub amp accessible to some degree so I mounted mine on the right hand side, and can access all the dials and dip switches through the jack access cover. It’s out of the way of the jack too. I’m toying with either sound deadening the enclosure now or wiring the amp up to a small external sealed box that I would put on the left side if I can’t get rid of the tupperware effect from the stock enclosure when I turn it up.
B2AA1DFE-A01E-47EC-A9CF-D25A319433DE.jpeg
CCDAEF43-7934-481F-BA0D-2C8F995C8859.jpeg
1E1D8237-0090-4951-8DD5-3B792580B333.jpeg
E806F4DA-E810-4BE9-8FE4-9B4E44AA7946.jpeg

I never looked in the left hand side to see how much room was in there for a sub amp, but I’m assuming much more room than the right side. I wanted my sub amp accessible to some degree so I mounted mine on the right hand side, and can access all the dials and dip switches through the jack access cover. It’s out of the way of the jack too. I’m toying with either sound deadening the enclosure now or wiring the amp up to a small external sealed box that I would put on the left side if I can’t get rid of the tupperware effect from the stock enclosure when I turn it up.View attachment 2315934View attachment 2315939View attachment 2315941View attachment 2315942
I should get something like that, and then not have to use the big processor and sub amp. Looks like it is a lot easier to hide.

I never looked in the left hand side to see how much room was in there for a sub amp, but I’m assuming much more room than the right side. I wanted my sub amp accessible to some degree so I mounted mine on the right hand side, and can access all the dials and dip switches through the jack access cover. It’s out of the way of the jack too. I’m toying with either sound deadening the enclosure now or wiring the amp up to a small external sealed box that I would put on the left side if I can’t get rid of the tupperware effect from the stock enclosure when I turn it up.View attachment 2315934View attachment 2315939View attachment 2315941View attachment 2315942
I haven’t looked in the left hand quarter yet. Was going to leave a y distribution there and continue over to the right side by the sub and put amp in the same place as you. The y would be for future power to a fridge and other rear of rig 12v. there is plenty of room for my soundstream st4.1000d behind the right quarter in the back corner. if you have it all set up and it fits why move it?

just spent $20 on budget 80mil sound deadener. I figure 10 feet enough for the box and the rear quarter Panel. Now I just have to dust off my router and make some circles.

super nice install on that bass knob. Dig it!

I should get something like that, and then not have to use the big processor and sub amp. Looks like it is a lot easier to hide.
It was really the only location on the right side that it would fit, and it just worked out that it’s accessible too. I had to dry fit it a couple of times to make sure it cleared everything and the panel could go on.
So, honestly, how much better does the sound deadening make the stock enclosure sound? I did it on my old 100 series but I didn’t really have the Tupperware effect in that truck, and just did it mostly to eliminate the rattles. Even with the gain only half up when I crank it up on the dial it starts sounding sloppy, like the enclosure is flexing.

That audio control micro has some nice dsp built in.

I haven’t looked in the left hand quarter yet. Was going to leave a y distribution there and continue over to the right side by the sub and put amp in the same place as you. The y would be for future power to a fridge and other rear of rig 12v. there is plenty of room for my soundstream st4.1000d behind the right quarter in the back corner. if you have it all set up and it fits why move it?

just spent $20 on budget 80mil sound deadener. I figure 10 feet enough for the box and the rear quarter Panel. Now I just have to dust off my router and make some circles.

super nice install on that bass knob. Dig it!
I
Which CDT sub are you guys using for a stock replacement without new amp? Links appear same but one goes to HD800 CF the other goes to HD800 CF.2

OR

The .2 version is a single voice coil and won’t work with the LC JBL factory wiring.

It was really the only location on the right side that it would fit, and it just worked out that it’s accessible too. I had to dry fit it a couple of times to make sure it cleared everything and the panel could go on.
So, honestly, how much better does the sound deadening make the stock enclosure sound? I did it on my old 100 series but I didn’t really have the Tupperware effect in that truck, and just did it mostly to eliminate the rattles. Even with the gain only half up when I crank it up on the dial it starts sounding sloppy, like the enclosure is flexing.
It is more of a solid sound. Can't say for sure if it is due to the sound dampening or the addition of more poly fill inside. But it has a completely different tonal quality.

I ran the signal acc and 12v behind the left quarter and over to the right quarter.

Dry fitting the amp I'll have several placement options.

Having already had the right quarter off it was much easier and less stress to pull the left.

Left a open port on the left for future accessories.

A0B38F58-7102-42BF-994B-287A048EB92F.jpeg

EADD41D6-AC39-404B-8144-73D8FEBF4C42.jpeg

Sub rewired for the new amp, replaced wire thru grommet (sealed with sugru) and 8 feet of damping applied. 5 on box, two on sheet metal, one on plastic panel.
probably put my amp in the same location pictured above by @Murckman

6D633061-4532-4FFE-BCC2-18902EAD3090.jpeg

F484C144-E624-47A0-87E3-64B4DBB85F09.jpeg

Sub rewired for the new amp, replaced wire thru grommet (sealed with sugru) and 8 feet of damping applied. 5 on box, two on sheet metal, one on plastic panel.
probably put my amp in the same location pictured above by @Murckman
Nice! I thought about rewiring through the grommet too with bigger speaker wire. The factory wiring is pretty thin stuff.
Just wanted to mention I removed the one bulky white clip holding the back harness because it just ends up being in the way. Also put in some homemade spacers behind the amp on one side to get it to face the right angle to access it better through the jack access cover.
04EACA86-52B6-44E0-B48D-40EFCB2DA95A.jpeg

View attachment 2319022

View attachment 2319023

This connector?
I looked at it again and probably will nexr to the wheel well on the other side of the jack. The first if kit probably won't fit but I have a real first aid bag anyhow. I plan to use that space for something else soon.

8E92FB5D-CB67-4764-9B47-C15A2BFD33C1.jpeg

This connector?
I looked at it again and probably will nexr to the wheel well on the other side of the jack. The first if kit probably won't fit but I have a real first aid bag anyhow. I plan to use that space for something else soon.

View attachment 2319118
Yes, the big connector at the bottom. It detaches from the back and the harness can come off the clip. There is room behind the wheel well, but I’m guessing you are going to trim the first aid pocket off the panel cover?

Yes, the big connector at the bottom. It detaches from the back and the harness can come off the clip. There is room behind the wheel well, but I’m guessing you are going to trim the first aid pocket off the panel cover?
Yeah, the cover pocket will likely not fit. My amp also fits on the door / in the pocket, might put it there too. Still thinking on it

It took far to long to zip tie in the amp and terminate three wires. Good thing I don’t do this for a living. On the short hairs of the project now, just need one speaker plug that I misplaced in my garage to show up via delivery, and pull the seat to hook it up and set some levels. Took out the white plug holder and put generally where @Murckman did.

BF507309-FD5F-4A2E-9D62-39C0A21AB015.jpeg

89D0A2BC-4AC5-47B8-8D7A-492CDF4DBCCE.jpeg

Got it powered up last night. Not impressed. I have to CRANK the gains to get any meaningful excursion, and on top of that I have a bad rattle to track down. Also my cobbled together sub spacer has bowed and I will have to make a real spacer after all.

Did some post install research on setting the gains via measured voltage, which I'll look at tonight, but it may be that my 4 channel amp isn't suited to this use (go figure . . .). No real issue, amps are cheap now, I just don't want to have the car sitting for four days while I wait on shipping.

Got it powered up last night. Not impressed. I have to CRANK the gains to get any meaningful excursion, and on top of that I have a bad rattle to track down. Also my cobbled together sub spacer has bowed and I will have to make a real spacer after all.

Did some post install research on setting the gains via measured voltage, which I'll look at tonight, but it may be that my 4 channel amp isn't suited to this use (go figure . . .). No real issue, amps are cheap now, I just don't want to have the car sitting for four days while I wait on shipping.
What amp and how did you wire it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom