Factory 61 diff lock 30/30 splines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, new here. So long story short i have a jap import hj61 vx factory difflock 12ht auto, and lately the cvs have been getting a little bit clacky. Ive been trying to find some info (before spending money on parts i cant potentially use) on the diffs/ axles as ive heard they are 30/30 spline.
So what im trying to find out is,
Are they actually 30/30 spline?
Are there any differences in the diff lock type axles due to the difflock arrangement?
Sorry if this is a old topic being rehashed, but i have had a look and could not find anything relating.
Also appologies if ive posted this in the wrong spot.

Thanks in advance, calum.

What do you mean "30/30" spline?

The differential side gear accepts 30 spline axles in all (AFAIK) 40s, 55s and (without a doubt) 60s, 70s and 80s where a 9.5" ring gear is used.

If this has cable lockers then a special long spline axle is needed. Long side on the front axle. Short side on the rear. The rear axle will be a full floater which is not a common axle on a 60 series in the US. Both side will be different than the semi floater imported here.

If this has cable lockers then a special long spline axle is needed. Long side on the front axle. Short side on the rear. The rear axle will be a full floater which is not a common axle on a 60 series in the US. Both side will be different than the semi floater imported here.

Longer splines, yes, but the spline count is the same for both SF and FF diffs, cable locked and e-locked included.

Are there any differences in the diff lock type axles due to the difflock arrangement?

Long spline and full floater (because of the locker) are different than US models.:meh:

He did say imported so I guess it couldn't to the US which could mean different axles were imported to where the poster is. Then need more info.:meh:

Sometime during the 68 model FJ40 the axle change from coarse spline to fine spline.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. What i meant by 30/30 is where as all non cable locked 60s (well from what ive seen in australia) are 30 spline at diff, then taper down to a 27 at the birfield. Where as apparently the factory cable lock types are full 30 spline.

Front long side inner axle is the same as non locked with the exception of the longer splines at the diff. Same spline count, birfields swap between them.

Excellent, thats what i was hoping for. Now its a nice cheap fix instead of an expensive **** around. Cheers mate

Hold on, the front shafts have 30 spline at the diff and 27 spline at the birfield.

See the photo attached from an 86 HJ61 with difflock
image.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so that is effectively the same as a non locked axle, yeah? ( apart from spline length etc)

Ok, so that is effectively the same as a non locked axle, yeah? ( apart from spline length etc)

Well I think so, but I had a hard time finding one when I snapped the end off that one pictured.
But if you are replacing the birfields only then they are all the same from about 1979 to 1989 40, 50, 60, 70 series, just check them for cracks or replace them with good quality new japanese ones.

Here's what I've seen and understood with spline counts:
- All differential side-gears for the LCs are 30 spline
- All stock birfield star gear splines are 27 spline
- All LC stock birfield stub shaft splines are 30 spline

The "Dirty 30s" and "Longfield" aftermarket axles will slide into the stock diff and hub gears (indicating that they are 30 spline) but the big difference is that the birfield star gear splines, and the inner shaft to match, are 30 splines, hence the upgrade.

AFAIK, stock axle shafts, in all 60 series front axles, had 27 spline birfield star gears.

Thanks for the info. Yeah axles are fine, just dead birfields. Keen to get the old girl back out there. Would have happened sooner if it wasnt for the fact i thought i needed 30/30 birfields.

Thanks for the info. Yeah axles are fine, just dead birfields. Keen to get the old girl back out there. Would have happened sooner if it wasnt for the fact i thought i needed 30/30 birfields.

you can keep stock setup ( I mean 27 splines at the inner axle / birf ) if you are stock tires .. but if you have plans to go big and going to replace what you have stock anyhow .. I strongly recommends an 30 splines upgrade ..

Possibly related question: can one use the longer splined drivers-side inner needed for a toyota locker in a non-locked diff?

I see no reason why you couldn't, though I haven't tried it.

Possibly related question: can one use the longer splined drivers-side inner needed for a toyota locker in a non-locked diff?

Yes you can. I did it for a while while putting together the parts for my first e-locker swap.

Sweeeeeet

I'm sensing e-lockers in the far future

Careful! People on the forum will call your sanity into question if you chose a Toyota e-locker over ARB air lockers.

I'm not paying 2000 to lock a truck that will see very little off-road use

700 for TOYOTA elockers though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom