Factor 55 or other or hook? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help deciding what to terminate my winch rope with?

I've generally have used a hook and wire winch m12000.

For the LC I got a 12k rope winch and I'm looking to replace the hook that came with it.

This is for a rope on a 12k warn winch. it came with a hook but the hook doesn't fold flat against the hawser.
Wire i don't mind slinging out to the recovery point, but I'm Leary of leaving the rope strung out there.

I am considering the
factor 55 - flat link
warn sidewinder

and not sure what other options are out them that keep the rope in snug and are easy to use?

any thoughts?

warn-sidewinder.jpg

FlatLink-XXL-gray-1-680x510.jpg

I use an aluminum thimble on the end of this winch line, it just snugs up tight against the hawse. Easy to rig for recovery. Works well for me.

What i replaced my hook with.

I've been pretty ignorant about all this. Just got interested again, learning about the new ways of synthetic.
Looks to me that anyone using synthetic winch line ought to make the basic step of getting proficient at rope splicing.
Pretty easy, really. Doesn't take long. Not complicated.
No need at all to have the traditional metal thimble end loop.
No need for a hook, either.
Even just a soft loop is OK, but still has the problem of being accidentally sucked inside the winch drum.
Like @gnob above, the Factor 55 Flat Splicer is a really nice termination.
Allows you to draw the end up flat to the fairlead / bumper for stowage, with nothing sticking out to get hung up when wheeling, and no outside winch line exposure at all. Completely hidden.
Nice and neat. Would be my choice.

Stowage - the old school way is to hook the hook onto a hard shackle on a recovery point across the bumper.
No need for that now.

I think leaving the rope or line exposed out front can chafe the line. With the wire it didn't matter, but with the factor 55 or hooking it to the side you can chafe the line if you plow through some mud or debris as the line loop is exposed

I went with the side winder as it shield the line; the thimble also shields well. Factor 55 is currently redesigning and/or adding an idolater to protect the exposed loop is what they told me.

The sidewinder has the down side of not offering a replacement pin at this time; so I'll need to see if I can find a bolt that fits for plan "b" if the pin gets lost.

Thanks for all the great ideas !

I think leaving the rope or line exposed out front can chafe the line. With the wire it didn't matter, but with the factor 55 or hooking it to the side you can chafe the line if you plow through some mud or debris as the line loop is exposed

Could solve that for a few cents with a bit of tubular nylon webbing as a chafe guard over the eye portion of the loop?
It's hiding in a 3/4" wide (or so) aluminum crevasse anyway, shielded from all but the most intrusive events.
Then, if some rare event were to damage the loop enough to be concerned - just re-splice the loop. No biggy.

Factor 55 makes guards for the rope end. A tubular thimble would also be a solution.

Viking used to sell some great stuff from my Jeep days, heard they sold though.

Yes, I was sad that Tor moved on to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom