F motor questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

890man

SILVER Star
Threads
While driving home after a long weekend I hear a loud pop followed by reduced power, a lot of vibration and loud clanging sounds from the engine. Not good. Pulled the valve cover, everything looked good. I turned the motor on and the oil was comming out of the rockers but quickly turned it off. The sound from the lower end was a tinny clanking sound. I have not had the chance to pull the pan yet to check the bottom end or check compression and won't be able to until next week. With that said, here is my question. I have found a motor out of a '70 fj55 for a good price. Are the heads, manifolds, accessories, brackets etc interchangeable between this motor and my f motor in my 12/74 fj55 (late model f). I didnt really pay attention to the differences when I saw the motor because I wasnt in the market at the time. The one thing I did notice, was the oil fill. Mine is on the valve cover and the other was on the side. Any help or search ideas would be great. I don't want to just drop in a V8. A diesel would be nice!!!!

Welcome.

The engines are interchangeable, as are the accessories.

Drop the pan and figure out what is going on.

Good luck!

-Steve

fyi, i will be picking up a stock f engine on the 14th if you need parts just pm me and i will tell you what's left.

The head from the early F and the late F oil differently. The late F oils like a 2F.
Like wise, if you put the head from your late F on the early shortblock, it will not oil the rockers. Manifolds are no problem.

GL

Ed

Thanks for the info. I understand that the later model f head will work on the 2f for a higher compression setup. Is this true? It was because of this I suspected there might be a difference. I will post my findings next week when I get back into town and have a chance to pull it apart.

i have a rebuilt f motor

If interested i have a complete long block been sitting for 3 yrs has 6000k on it pulled it for a V8 has headers weber advance distributor and i live in sausalito

I may be. Tell me more. What year? What do you want for it? Whats it out of? Not all real important stuff (except the price), just curious.

Thanks, Travis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom