Extending breathers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

876 Cruisers

KZJ70/FZJ70/HJ47/FJ80
Threads
Good day all
Just trying to get a quick opinion on extending diff and gearbox breathers.

I've been searching to see if I put the rear diff and the gearbox breather into 1 if there is any negatives to doing so.

I want to run the lines into the engine bay and use a T to join the rear diff to the transmission then to the engine bay.

Or do you recon I run each line separately.

Regards
Dan

I don't think there is any problem with teeing breathers. As I recall the transfer case and transmission breathers on my 80 are tee'd by the factory.

I run separate extended breathers for the differentials using gates fuel line, but I don't have a great reason for it. They are vented at a manifold high on the firewall. The vent is some inexpensive copy of the ARB with a sintered filter - I thought I was buying the ARB kit, but didn't read the fine print. I replaced the push fittings with brass barbs.

image.jpg

Good day all
Just trying to get a quick opinion on extending diff and gearbox breathers.

I've been searching to see if I put the rear diff and the gearbox breather into 1 if there is any negatives to doing so.

I want to run the lines into the engine bay and use a T to join the rear diff to the transmission then to the engine bay.

Or do you recon I run each line separately.

Regards
Dan
I would be OK linking them if the trans is a manual. I wouldn’t link an auto’s breather to the same hose my diffs are using.

you can also hide the rear axle breather in the rear quarter on the tool kit side. I don't have pics but I did the simple version of rubber hose and a lawnmower fuel filter as the air filter
Is there already a hole there ?

you can also hide the rear axle breather in the rear quarter on the tool kit side. I don't have pics but I did the simple version of rubber hose and a lawnmower fuel filter as the air filter
I would not terminate, with air filter or not, an axle or t-case breather (vent or whatever you want to call it) into the interior of your rig, unless you enjoy the smell of gear oil.

My rear axle breather is extended to the area behind the fuel filler which is, for height., near the top of the rear fender. My other breathers (front axle, t-case and tranny) are extended separately to the top, or just below the hood, in the engine compartment. I believe, that Toyota extended the tranny and t-case breathers to near the top of the tranny dipstick tube.
Edit: Mine is an auto tranny. Not sure what Toyota manual tranny's rigs did with breather vents.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth my rear diff breather is extended up into the rear quarter panel without issue. I have never smelled it nor have any of my passengers, including my wife who hates the smell of anything automotive.
I like to keep things simple and running the rear Diff breather all the way to the front engine compartment does not make sense to me.

I would not terminate, with air filter or not, an axle or t-case breather (vent or whatever you want to call it) into the interior of your rig, unless you enjoy the smell of gear oil.
Good point. it's definitely a trade off. but I make it assuming that I won't drown myself so I won't drown the axles!

I've personally not had a smell issue with the rear one. The front though, 100% agree. you could occasionally smell it and it smells kind of like bad popcorn and stinky feet. haha

I personally would not tee any gearcase to another.

If one undergoes a sudden temperature or pressure change, it can negatively affect the other gearcase it is connected to.

This can happen with a hot differential dunking into a cold pond. It could potentially suck fluid from one of the other gear cases connected, causing other issues.
Also, routing a vent hose where it's running horizontal it could get a pool of gear oil in a low spot and effectively plug the vent.

Keep them short and vertical and only one per hose.

I guess I don't see how this is going to happen unless you've got something WAAAY too full, or if you have a clog above the T. With a free flowing vent, the volume of air to overcome any suction possible in any of those components should be easily available, especially compared to the resistance required to syphon fluids out of one of the other cases. Is there something I'm missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom