Extended BumpStops... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Extended Bump Stops, specifically for the rear...any leads other than Timbren?

I have scraping on fast "whoops" with my 295/70r18s ...

I'd be tempted to drill a hole through a hockey puck or two and shove them between the bump stop and rig with a longer bolt.

I'd be tempted to drill a hole through a hockey puck or two and shove them between the bump stop and rig with a longer bolt.
McMaster-Carr has solid aluminum spacers for when a hockey puck is to ghetto!

Extended Bump Stops, specifically for the rear...any leads other than Timbren?

I have scraping on fast "whoops" with my 295/70r18s ...

In the rear!? You must go a helluva lot faster than me.

In for answers, just in case I ever speed my oldazz up

Reactions: jLB
I installed the Timbren rear bumpstops prior to my travels to CO. I must say, they made a BIG difference on offroad trails. Even with extra heavy coils, on some "whoops" sections, my rear would strike the bumpstops (even going slowly). After experiencing these Timbrens firsthand, I must say that I'm impressed. I never felt the harsh impact at all. It felt incredibly progressive and controlled. It definitely takes a LOT of travel to get them to engage. But, when they do, they come on very steady. The sensation is hard to describe. Feels like the shocks ramp up in dampening in a controlled manner. That became more evident on a 100 mile gravel section where I could hit speeds of 70mph. The rear felt much more stable...especially cornering. Do I think they're worth the money? No. I think $215 is absurd for what they are. Am I happy with them? Yes. I just think they are grossly overpriced for what they are. I'm adding the Wheelers bumpstops to the front next which seem a more "fair" price for rubber.

I installed the Timbren rear bumpstops prior to my travels to CO. I must say, they made a BIG difference on offroad trails. Even with extra heavy coils, on some "whoops" sections, my rear would strike the bumpstops (even going slowly). After experiencing these Timbrens firsthand, I must say that I'm impressed. I never felt the harsh impact at all. It felt incredibly progressive and controlled. It definitely takes a LOT of travel to get them to engage. But, when they do, they come on very steady. The sensation is hard to describe. Feels like the shocks ramp up in dampening in a controlled manner. That became more evident on a 100 mile gravel section where I could hit speeds of 70mph. The rear felt much more stable...especially cornering. Do I think they're worth the money? No. I think $215 is absurd for what they are. Am I happy with them? Yes. I just think they are grossly overpriced for what they are. I'm adding the Wheelers bumpstops to the front next which seem a more "fair" price for rubber.

How much of what is available for our truck is spendy though? I am just happy that least they sell them. They are probably lucky to move 10 sets a year for the 100 series.

I have a set of probably 10 year old Timbrens on my 100 and they are still going strong. I have the front sway bar disconnected and Icon CVDC shocks that I set to the lowest setting on the trail. I am constantly flexing the suspension to touch the bump stops from what I have noticed. I really like them. If you are going to have the truck for 10 years, what is a few hundred more to get it set up really well?

How much of what is available for our truck is spendy though? I am just happy that least they sell them. They are probably lucky to move 10 sets a year for the 100 series.

I have a set of probably 10 year old Timbrens on my 100 and they are still going strong. I have the front sway bar disconnected and Icon CVDC shocks that I set to the lowest setting on the trail. I am constantly flexing the suspension to touch the bump stops from what I have noticed. I really like them. If you are going to have the truck for 10 years, what is a few hundred more to get it set up really well?

Still doesn't mean they should cost $220. Totally get that other things are "expensive" on our rigs. But, there are certain things that just make zero sense as to the cost. The bumpstops are one of them. $250 for all four corners would be more reasonable IMO. Having said that, I do agree that when amortized over time, the cost is minimal (I don't plan on ever selling my LX).

My seat covers easily cost 1/2 again more than comparable offerings from Marathon and Carharrt. But, there is at least some "reasoning" behind that cost increase. They are certainly constructed better. They are softer to the skin and yet somehow stronger than the other offerings. I see "value" in paying for a superior product.

wheeler has alternatives to timbren. front and rear adds up to $260 shipped. im thinking of giving it a try

front:

lxplore has a review here:

rears:

Still doesn't mean they should cost $220. Totally get that other things are "expensive" on our rigs. But, there are certain things that just make zero sense as to the cost. The bumpstops are one of them. $250 for all four corners would be more reasonable IMO. Having said that, I do agree that when amortized over time, the cost is minimal (I don't plan on ever selling my LX).

My seat covers easily cost 1/2 again more than comparable offerings from Marathon and Carharrt. But, there is at least some "reasoning" behind that cost increase. They are certainly constructed better. They are softer to the skin and yet somehow stronger than the other offerings. I see "value" in paying for a superior product.

I hear your reasoning. There seems to be new options available that I would explore now too if I was in the market. I see value in just having an option available at any price. I would like that the Timbrens were less expensive, but more than low cost, I want them to be available. Perhaps as people go with other options the price of the Timbrens will come down. I see it as a distinct possibility that their margins weren't as fat as the price would make it seem. It was a low volume item.

I hear your reasoning. There seems to be new options available that I would explore now too if I was in the market. I see value in just having an option available at any price. I would like that the Timbrens were less expensive, but more than low cost, I want them to be available. Perhaps as people go with other options the price of the Timbrens will come down. I see it as a distinct possibility that their margins weren't as fat as the price would make it seem. It was a low volume item.

Yeah, definitely seems like a low-volume product for an even lower-volume vehicle. They do really work effectively on heavy rigs that run quick on whoops or heavy rigs that crawl and drop off ledges. They really do enhance the stability considerably. Was honestly surprised how much so.

wheeler has alternatives to timbren. front and rear adds up to $260 shipped. im thinking of giving it a try

front:

rears:

These are what I used for front and rear. I saw the price of the timbrens and could not justify spending 400+ on bump stops. 260 was much easier on the wallet and if I'm not mistaken, I shopped around and found a 10% discount to bring the price down to 240ish shipped. Can't really compare to timbrens since I haven't used them but I can say the 👸 doesn't hate washboards as much now.

Yeah, definitely seems like a low-volume product for an even lower-volume vehicle. They do really work effectively on heavy rigs that run quick on whoops or heavy rigs that crawl and drop off ledges. They really do enhance the stability considerably. Was honestly surprised how much so.

I have to agree, not sure if it's because of how much larger the fronts are than stock, but I did notice being able to carry more speed through a turn. Obviously not that it matters in a 3 ton vehicle, but hey ya never know

front:

rears:

Thanks for posting @nitteo and @SDIAZ . I've had good experiences with Wheelers when purchasing Tacoma suspension parts.

I have front & rear Timbrens- the cost is dumb; more for the fronts than the back. Front & rear are sold for the same price, yet the rear has more involved mounting hardware & 4x more rubber- it makes no sense. Also- there are two bump stops per front LCA - so if you were to replace all 4 (which most only replace one set) you'd be in King hydraulic bump stop price range.

The Wheeler stops look like a softer material than the Timbren- they may work differently. And do they have specific application for 100 series?

The rears are worth the investment, the fronts...Meh.

@nitteo - what rear springs are you running, high be time for an upgrade?

@nitteo - what rear springs are you running, high be time for an upgrade?

thats what i thought as well, I had Ironman mediums upgraded to OME 2863s and still have scrapes.
not as often, but still there.

dont want to blow out a tire just because of that...

Guess you're running larger tires maybe 34"/35" tires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom