Extended battery terminal Gen 1. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Have gen 1, non-billet extended battery terminal. These are very common from Amaz and at least 1 vendor for the extended main battery connection on a 200. This is not a complaint about the vendor so I'm not naming them. I got 4 years out of it. I took it apart because I had a complete non-start with no power after driving a couple miles, and was able to make it start by shifting the battery back in the tray. I reused them after putting some Deoxit style conductive film and it seems to work great. I wanted to see if this 1. was the actual problem and 2 if my fix was field expedient if something like this happened again.

thumbnail_IMG_6127.jpg

I'm not sure what's the question or what you think was wrong. But it is possible for any battery terminal to eventually develop some corrosion between the post and the terminal that may look just fine from a few feet away, yet cause a no-start condition like if the battery was flat/discharged. In which case removing/cleaning/retightening the battery terminals/posts will fix the issue.

Hi all. Have gen 1, non-billet extended battery terminal. These are very common from Amaz and at least 1 vendor for the extended main battery connection on a 200. This is not a complaint about the vendor so I'm not naming them. I got 4 years out of it. I took it apart because I had a complete non-start with no power after driving a couple miles, and was able to make it start by shifting the battery back in the tray. I reused them after putting some Deoxit style conductive film and it seems to work great. I wanted to see if this 1. was the actual problem and 2 if my fix was field expedient if something like this happened again.

View attachment 3580497
I ran something similar for years. The weakness was how many flat, metal-on-metal surfaces that are exposed to engine bay road crud and harder to sufficiently tighten to exclude crud. Each and every failure of my old ones was remedied by removing bolts and cleaning random crud types from all surfaces. It definitely invites fouling.

* I believe this is why Slee came up with their crazy-solid extenders. After switching first to their early, main-battery prototype…and later to their aux battery unit on my 2nd battery several years ago, I’ve not had even a SINGLE fouling issue.

The Slee units aren’t cheap, but they beat the heck out of electrical and battery failures out in the wild.

NOTE: This photo is a prototype and differs slightly from their final version…but you’ll get the idea…

IMG_0324.jpeg

I'm not sure what's the question or what you think was wrong. But it is possible for any battery terminal to eventually develop some corrosion between the post and the terminal that may look just fine from a few feet away, yet cause a no-start condition like if the battery was flat/discharged. In which case removing/cleaning/retightening the battery terminals/posts will fix the issue.
The metal is completed eroded away, pitted and welded on the bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom