Explore the Manzano Mtns - Nov 8th. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My son and I still plan to be there. We will be at the gas station at 10am. We have a white 5th gen.

Do you all generally use any radios while driving? I just put in a GMRS Radio but have not had the occasion to use it much.

Do you all generally use any radios while driving? I just put in a GMRS Radio but have not had the occasion to use it much.
We use HAM for our communications, and highly encourage folks to get their HAM ticket. The test is easy, cheap, and good for 10 years. For radios you can install a mobile, or get one of the inexpensive hand-held (HT) radios.

We use HAM for our communications, and highly encourage folks to get their HAM ticket.

I did get the GMRS license. I decided to go with GMRS because it was my understanding that there is some overlap in the frequencies... So I would be able to talk to someone with HAM equipment, but at a shorter range. While CB, for instance, is totally different and isolated. But I might have been mistaken.

I have a CB and a HAM radio. No GMRS. But if there is some overlap in frequencies I can try to dial it in.

Since I don't know everyone who is planning to be there, I wanted to make sure folks were adequately prepared. Bring plenty of clothes in various layers to be able to customize for whatever weather we might encounter. Bring a rain coat. Bring sturdy shoes. Bring a lunch, plenty of snacks and lots of water. Also not a bad idea to bring some blankets or sleeping bags just in case of the highly unlikely event you have to spend the night in your vehicle.

I drive a white '99 100-series with sliders, aftermarket rear bumper and a roof rack. I plan to be parked across the street from the gas station in the big park and ride dirt lot. We will depart ~10:15. If you are running late, give me a call so I know to wait for you. 505-292-0636 or 505-274-2154 - Marc

Started raining up here at my place around 04:00 this morning. Looks like it is going to be wet and cold. I'll see you guys on the road.

Started raining up here at my place around 04:00 this morning. Looks like it is going to be wet and cold. I'll see you guys on the road.
I thought I heard rain last night. Ground is bone dry this morning.

I did get the GMRS license. I decided to go with GMRS because it was my understanding that there is some overlap in the frequencies... So I would be able to talk to someone with HAM equipment, but at a shorter range. While CB, for instance, is totally different and isolated. But I might have been mistaken.

There will not be any overlapping frequencies, as FCC won't allow it. However we as a club have standardized on using ham radio's for all events and convoys. I have twicked one of my ham radios to be able to talk to people using gmrs or FRS radios, but that rarely seems to happen as some of us have extra handheld radios that we hand out to people who don't have ham radios. This makes for easy communications on the trail .

Mesaman and I are bringing our boyz and will be at the gas station at 10. We are in a silver-pearl ‘99 100.
See ya soon! 😁

Had a great showing today. We didn't cover a ton of ground but we saw some nice places that most had not seen before. We turned off at Manzano and went up to the Capilla Peak turnaround/CG area where we had lunch. Then we headed back north and took the loop to 4th of July Campground/canyon, turning west at Torreon and then connecting back to the highway at Tajique. My memory of who came:

David505 (David, his son and son's friend)
ststephen69s
Mauser (Virgil and his wife)
demoj (Justin, Amy and their dog)
Mesa Man & Woman (Gabriel, Katherine and their two boys, plus their dog)
Me (with Danise, Paige, Joy and dog Goldie)
My friend Chris who drove his Jeep along with his son, daughter and his nephew who drove his diesel Excursion

We didn't leave Capilla Peak until about 2 so Stephen and David headed home after getting back to the highway. The rest of us did the 4th of July Canyon loop. The road to Capilla Peak could easily be done with most 2WD cars. The stretch of FS 55 between 4th of July CG and Torreon has some rough spots with rocks and ruts and the rest was easily done with any 2WD car.

It was kind of cold and windy most of the day but at least it was sunny.

Last edited:
546623AC-93C0-4E53-8C3D-177A2C623131.jpeg

Our Sunday adventure was nice. It was great to see familiar faces and to meet new ones.
Thank you, Marc for leading us, it’s always nice to explore parts of our backyard that we’ve never been to. We look forward to planning a trip to Elk Mountain soon!
Gabriel, Catherine, Dylan, Caleb & Ana (the pup)

35B9E153-4CFE-4B21-9E40-60CE1EA98CB6.jpeg

Old burn scars around Capilla Peak, views were amazing! A little breezy but beautiful!

4431B6B7-EB27-4E60-AF12-BB84DBD16019.jpeg

Cruising up the road toward Capilla Peak

5000206C-953F-4DE9-A8BA-C9867D9D4224.jpeg

Capilla Peak turnaround the Jeep and the excursion parked off to the side. but they were there as well
935BCA00-602B-4DE2-963A-562E6E4A212A.jpeg

Fourth of July Forest Road Loop
We might have missed the full colors but we got to see some, it was a nice drive.
2FC83B0F-FEFF-42BF-BDB1-6D4BCDE47F00.jpeg

Fall time inFourth of July Canyon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom