Expert Advice Please- What is this Leak? and How bad is this Frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That leak is by the rear heater lines. They are hard to get at too.

The frame looks kind of rusty. You could look out west for one. Since I am in AZ I really don't worry about rust myself.

Welcome and good luck on whatever you decide to get an Awesome land cruiser!

Good Link Thank You

I am have been looking so much mi girl thinks I don't love her any more ;) .

I found this - craiglook.com Craiglook: Craigslist Search

Have looked on e-bay - there was one in Philadelphia - and it was horrible - sold for high 4's.

This the 4 the truck I have looked at - and internally is mint and body is perfect for 15 years - so a wire brush and a face shield may be in my future for the next few weekends - the girl is going to love that!

thanx agian

T

Are you guys are missing that this has diff locks?

My advice: Tell him your offer stands IF he repairs that leak and produced a receipt as evidence that it was done correctly, and provided you get a MUCH better idea of the extent of the rust, and only if it is very minimal.

That rust seems superficial to me, based on those photos. Crawl under that truck and start poking and scraping. If it is truly just surface rust, a wire brush should cut right through it and shiny steel will be visible. Then, you just need to paint the frame with Rust Bullet or something. But, if the frame got salt on it, so did lots of nooks and crannies in the body and you'll not easily discover that rust unless you REALLY look for it. If you don't find it, you need to pull in somebody whop knows where to look, because it MUST be there. But, it may be minor. Even if there's a bit, I say the truck is worth $4K easily, with the diff locks...based on the mileage and what you say about the interior condition.

Get it to a mechanic of your choice for an inspection (up on a lift).

But this locked one looks like a winner:
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser, 180k miles

Agreed, its a bit pricy but looks like a good prospect. IMO, a trip to the south or southwest is worth the money. The frame on the 80 is plenty strong but rusted, frozed bolts suck:mad::bang:

Tofu, I thought you were a 60 guy, what are you doing over here:hmm:?

You need to listen to what these folks are telling you. That much rust is not good. It will be a huge hassle to fix stuff. If you want a DD, this is probably not it, unless you only want it for a year or so.

A year or so? C'mon. I agree, rust is cancer and who knowingly pays for cancer? But, seriously, that's not so bad. You 80 guys are spoiled. 75% of the 60s I see look like that underneath.

One more question from a newbe

Is the rear heater using oil or is it the standard coolant like most cars use. The leak was oily and Anti freeze is not oily.

Thanx a bunch

T

Passed it up - Unless a price drop...

Thank you all for your valuable input - the search continuous and I am sure to post more pix of the next one I find, and ask for opinions.

This is a really wonderful community and I cant wait until I can be a owner of a 80 -

Thanx again!

T

Just think about it, a southwest airline ticket cost $200. Then you get a $20 car rental. Buy your 80 and drive it home. A thousand miles of gas will cost you $211 at $2.75 a gallon. So for a grand total of $450 and a few hours on the road, you can have a rust free 80. Plus it would be a fun trip. If you bring someone with you, just tack on another plane ticket or get a one way car rental and drive it. Like I said, I drove 1000 miles in a rental car, picked up my 80, then headed back the 1000 miles. Worth every dime.

Thanx jlg32281 -

I may just have to follow your advice - probably going to TN for the long weekend coming up - maybe I can go a little further and find a truck!

T

Just think about it, a southwest airline ticket cost $200. Then you get a $20 car rental. Buy your 80 and drive it home. A thousand miles of gas will cost you $211 at $2.75 a gallon. So for a grand total of $450 and a few hours on the road, you can have a rust free 80. Plus it would be a fun trip. If you bring someone with you, just tack on another plane ticket or get a one way car rental and drive it. Like I said, I drove 1000 miles in a rental car, picked up my 80, then headed back the 1000 miles. Worth every dime.

Thanx jlg32281 -

I may just have to follow your advice - probably going to TN for the long weekend coming up - maybe I can go a little further and find a truck!

T

Use this search tool and find what you want and go get it. It's worth the extra money if you have the time. States

Thanx jlg32281 -

T

Glad you found some more time.
It is worth it in the long run to get a rust free truck.

I've been in Memphis for work this week. I am amazed at the number of 80's on the road here. I see a good 8-10 on the highway everyday. Most looking like clean mall Cruisers.

Good luck.

That frame looks pretty clean to me, but I live in the Northeast. Those folks that are saying stay away have never really seen a rusty truck.

I agree, that frame isnt bad at all. People freak out about frame rust. Rust is a pain but not an end all, rot is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom