Exhaust Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About twoish years ago I had a muffler shop weld up a new cat-back muffler/tailpipe. Friendly service, no issues. Fast forward a bit, I found that when the rear driver tire stuffs into the wheel well on the trail it bangs into the tailpipe going over the rear leaf and breaks the rear exhaust hanger. I also added a 4x4labs rear end to the truck since the cat-back was installed, and want to scoot the tailpipe over to exit under the driver's quarter. I picked up some exhaust ends to clamp/glue on the end of the tailpipe, thinking I'd cut it back near the mudflap and install the end. I've since moved states and can't use that shop any longer, so here are my questions....

1.) Spot where the tire rubs, any ideas on how to fix this? Heat up this section/dent it in with a hammer?

9DB24BDD-69C2-46CD-8405-0920C51B17B2_1_105_c.jpeg

2.) Can I run the exhaust without using the rear-most exhaust hanger? The next nearest hanger is the one behind the muffler:

57FD35C8-0D5C-4A0F-8823-431B9C6AF99C_1_105_c.jpeg

Exhaust as it sits now, i'd like to move it over under the driver's quarter to avoid the eventual squish when the backend drags:

3F4E0F19-E3F6-4241-9D4E-3CA504C526D9_1_105_c.jpeg

41ED730D-13F4-4AF3-8365-58887340FA22_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm thinking a muffler shop would probably chop off this tailpipe and bend a new one, but I'd like to pick Mud's brain before going that route... thanks fellas.

actually it would be nice to have it exit right behind your mudflap, have a shop cut off and bend a new piece
current seems to hang low and if you use any of your rear protection, the exhaust will be mushed

The PO of mine chopped the exhaust right around the rear mudflap and it's not connected to the rear hangar. I haven't noticed too much movement or anything, I've given it a couple good shakes and while it moves around a bit, it doesn't seem like it's going to fall off or anything.

29915126921_91da87c65e_k.jpg

29915131291_c8ad64ec9c_k.jpg

Last edited:
Whether you need the rear most exhaust pipe hangar depends on what roads you'll be driving on. Freeways? Nope. Not needed. Baja dirt roads? Absolutely required if you want to keep the exhaust system on your cruiser (as opposed to left lying next to a cactus on the side of a dirt trail).

How much clearance is there between the tail pipe and the spring shackle? Can't tell from the pics.
Can you adjust/massage/bend the 2 rear hangers to move the pipe away from the tyre? Looks like it probably only needs to go about 20mm or so.
If that won't work, you could take it to a shop and get them to move and re-weld the hangers.
Then cut it just aft of the rear hanger and use one of those bends you have and an exhaust clamp to do a side exit. I take it that's basically your plan.
I see the bends are expanded at one end, so I'm assuming they fit over the tail pipe. Are they slotted like this?
IMG_1349.PNG

If not, cut a couple slots to allow the clamp to crush the pipe in for a good strong seal, a bit of exhaust putty or even high temp RTV will help too.
Cheers, Tim.

Last edited:
drop by muffler shop and have exhaust exit behind the driver side rear tire, adjust the pipe as necessary to clear other components. That long tail pipe between the rear tire and the bumper is likely to get crushed off-road, depending on where you drive.

How much clearance is there between the tail pipe and the spring shackle? Can't tell from the pics.
Can you adjust/massage/bend the 2 rear hangers to move the pipe away from the tyre? Looks like it probably only needs to go about 20mm or so.
If that won't work, you could take it to a shop and get them to move and re-weld the hangers.
Then cut it just aft of the rear hanger and use one of those bends you have and an exhaust clamp to do a side exit. I take it that's basically your plan.
I see the bends are expanded at one end, so I'm assuming they fit over the tail pipe. Are they slotted like this?
View attachment 2221189
If not, cut a couple slots to allow the clamp to crush the pipe in for a good strong seal, a bit of exhaust putty or even high temp RTV will help too.
Cheers, Tim.
There's enough clearance to scoot it over a bit, yes. I'd need a inch or two, my concern is putting too much strain on the original flanges between the muffler/cat.

FF85D789-72AC-49CB-9F1B-B0DBA535A109_1_102_o.jpeg

My idea exactly on adding the new exhaust ends, clamping up with a lap/band clamp with some good exhaust sealant in between.

Yeah, that's something you'd have to decide on, whether pushing it over will put stress on other areas...but seeing as it's right at the tail end of the exhaust, you've probably got a bit of movement to play with??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom