Exhaust Pipe to Manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any tricks to get the exhaust pipe placed back into the manifold? I used a Cam strap to lower the exhaust pipe however when I release the cam strap the studs are not aligned with the holes and I don't want the studs to bugger up the new doughnut gasket. Would loosening/removing bolts from the other end by the Cat allow me to maneuver pipe easier or will this just make two locations that I am going to struggle to get back into place. Thanks for any insight

There is a clamp that holds the down pipe in place near the fire wall. Take that clamp off and you should get some more wiggle room...otherwise I think you will have to loosen the bolts at the cat.

There are two clamps on brackets that hold the pipe before the cat and they're most likely rusted shut. But loosen them (and replace them) and the pipe will then move around a bit
image.jpeg

Last night I definitely broke off those rusted bolts on the hanging bracket. Still very little movement out of the exhaust. I am going to try and loosen the bolts that connect it to the Cat. Thanks for all of the reponses @OSS and @Seth S

Hey bro, its a lot easier with 2 guys - you have one hang off the j pipe, and one lower the manifold into place, to get it all lined up.

also, dont bolt the manifold down just yet till you get everything lined up

I definitely have the manifold bolted up right now. I envisioned this would line up everything and then I would place the exhaust pipe back in with the doughnut. I anticipated that the pressure upward from the exhaust pipe would make it a bugger to get lined up on the studs. The directions in the emissions manual definitely did not go over many of these little nuances.

Without the manifold sitting on the exhaust pipe first, you would expect there to be a leak? I don't have a J pipe from the EGR so that is one less thing to think about. Also, if I was to unbolt manifold and start over would my gasket be messed up from a light coat of the copper manifold sealer? Thanks

Yeah at this point leave the manifold alone and deal with the Ex-pipe now

yeah don't take that manifold off now...

i'd see if you can loosen it up the pipe and get it to line up. also, you can release the cam strap holding that pipe down, and use a rubber mallet to tap the side of it and persuade the exhaust pipe into place.. when it lines up it should pop up into place.

Victory! Thanks for all the help. Loosening the bolts on the cat removing the bracket was the ticket. Now I am going to need to order some new bolts/nut as those were WAY past their prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom