Exhaust manifold - what am i getting into (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have taken mine off and put them back on several times due to the turbo project. Not too hard to reach from above. (Get a tire step if you don't already have one). The ones under cyl 6 are kind of a tough reach, but nothing like some of the crazy contortionist crap we typically do working on our own vehicles. :banana::banana: tops. As with all exhaust/manifold work, buy extra studs because some will get beat up, some will turn out of the head, some will be fused to the nut, some might break (mine didn't thankfully).

I would have tried to remove the studs and replace before buying new manifolds. In fact, one of my studs is stripped and I plan on tackling that at some point in the nearish future.

thanks guys, this is reassuring and helpful.

I got 13 new studs and nuts from Toyota. Im just going to replace them even if they look fine when (if) they come out.

IMG_6473.JPG
IMG_6476.JPG

IMG_6483.JPG

Well it was a fun 1.5 hrs. All but 2 of the studs came off from the head. I barely soaked the nuts with some crappy penetrant and a 1hr douse in ATF and Acetone. I double nutted the two studs and pulled them out. Replaced with all new OEM hardware.

These dorman manifolds are really nice, fit without issue, the gaskets seemed passable.

Huge difference driving now with no leaks. Not sure what I was afraid of (well i guess i know, broken studs in the head).

All good now, thanks for the help and replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom