Exhaust heat control valve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So vertical is "cold" and horizontal is "hot". In the video when you have the weight in the vertical position the valve appears to be open, but that is the "cold" position?

Praying this is the last thing on this rust ball, but it would explain how it drives.

Matt
When the weight is vertical the flap is also vertical/ “open” in the video. But when the system is all together that just means hot gas is diverted up against the bottom of the intake manifold to help with a cold engine. The valve “closes” when it’s hot, basically just diverting that hot gas down the exhaust pipe and away from the intake. A crude little system. It’s good to work the valve every now and then to prevent it from sticking. Lots of people over the years just stop messing with it and try to keep it stuck in the hot position.

When the weight is vertical the flap is also vertical/ “open” in the video. But when the system is all together that just means hot gas is diverted up against the bottom of the intake manifold to help with a cold engine. The valve “closes” when it’s hot, basically just diverting that hot gas down the exhaust pipe and away from the intake. A crude little system. It’s good to work the valve every now and then to prevent it from sticking. Lots of people over the years just stop messing with it and try to keep it stuck in the hot position.
I think that'll be my initial goal, just get it to move enough to stay in the hot position. If I do get it free, is the weight enough to keep it in the hot position or will I need to wire it open (since the spring is toast).

I am trying to not have to disassemble the manifolds right now. I will need a new manifold gasket, but the look of the nuts makes me think that it is going to be a big job of removing (possibly destroying) the nuts and possibly the studs. Then having to replace the entire exhaust system. When I do that I'll remove this valve and seal the holes.

So, I dove into my manifold...after a few days of Kroil, heat, and tapping. I decided to remove the manifold and check the condition of the valve. Looks like someone got there before me and removed the valve leaf. So I buttoned it all up and I'll move on to the next item on my list.
20231118_Heat Control.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom