Excessive weight on tires for balance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was out shopping for tires today for my new 80 :grinpimp: and was looking at the weights used to balance the existing tires. It seemed like a lot.
PS rear 0.15, 1.5, 1.5
PS front 1.0
DS rear 1.5, 1.25
DS front 1.5, 1.25

Is this alot of weight? Do I need to be concerned about bad wheels? I haven't really paid much attention to it in the past, but it got my attention today.

I'll be getting 285 75R16 BFG TA/KO's, and doing the spare tire mod. I am going to try to do it before I get the tires because I am not sure the bigger tire will fit well enough till I get home. I've got a couple of descriptions from the old posts. It seems straight forward, too bad it is 108 today and suppose to be 111 tomorrow, I wish I had a shady place to work.
Thanks,

Ross

108-111 in May!

Dang.....Geo! Where do you live man.
I don't think Hell is that hot in May yet.

Get a good drop light and do it at night (not kidding).

At least get a $15.00 tarp from WalMart and a fan to keep ya cool.

Good luck with your project.

GeoRoss said:
Is this alot of weight? Do I need to be concerned about bad wheels? I haven't really paid much attention to it in the past, but it got my attention today.

I'll be getting 285 75R16 BFG TA/KO's, and doing the spare tire mod. I am going to try to do it before I get the tires because I am not sure the bigger tire will fit well enough till I get home. I've got a couple of descriptions from the old

As tires wear they typically require more weight. Unless you have hit a rock or curb and lost some aluminum, your wheels should still be perfectly balanced. Three ounces for worn stock size tires sounds about right. But I run BFG 285/75/16 ATs and I won't take delivery of any new tires that require more than 4 ounces. I think each of my new ones I just bought needed 2-3.

A 285/75/16 will fit under your truck just fine.

flintknapper said:
Dang.....Geo! Where do you live man.
I don't think Hell is that hot in May yet.

Get a good drop light and do it at night (not kidding).

At least get a $15.00 tarp from WalMart and a fan to keep ya cool.

Good luck with your project.

Flint, I'm in S. AZ and we are experiencing a 'mild' heat wave. It is breaking records and makes me wish I had a pool. Temps should moderate to the high 90's, low 100's through the week. :crybaby: I typically just drink lots of water and go inside when I get light headed (kidding). Thanks for the tarp idea, I haven't thought about doing that before (hard headed noob).

elmariachi said:
As tires wear they typically require more weight. Unless you have hit a rock or curb and lost some aluminum, your wheels should still be perfectly balanced. Three ounces for worn stock size tires sounds about right. But I run BFG 285/75/16 ATs and I won't take delivery of any new tires that require more than 4 ounces. I think each of my new ones I just bought needed 2-3.

A 285/75/16 will fit under your truck just fine.

Thanks elmariachi, I feel better. I will follow your lead on the 4 oz. per tire limit. I'm just so excited to do something to my new LC :bounce:

Thanks again.

Ross

GeoRoss said:
Thanks elmariachi, I feel better. I will follow your lead on the 4 oz. per tire limit. I'm just so excited to do something to my new LC :bounce:

GeoRoss, if (IF) your wheels are in excellent shape and not missing any alloy, be sure and tell the tire store where you are buying the tires UP FRONT that you want them to do whatever they have to do to be sure you don't exceed 4-5 ounces per tire. That may involve them breaking the tire down and rotating it until they get it right. Some dealers are more than willing (Discount Tire), others aren't. FWIW, on both of the last two sets of BFGs I have purchased, at least one tire was out of round in each initial batch. You could see it hopping a bit while they spun it on the balancing machine. It's your money, tell them you don't want a tire that does that or one that requires excess weight.

elmariachi said:
GeoRoss, if (IF) your wheels are in excellent shape and not missing any alloy, be sure and tell the tire store where you are buying the tires UP FRONT that you want them to do whatever they have to do to be sure you don't exceed 4-5 ounces per tire. That may involve them breaking the tire down and rotating it until they get it right. Some dealers are more than willing (Discount Tire), others aren't. FWIW, on both of the last two sets of BFGs I have purchased, at least one tire was out of round in each initial batch. You could see it hopping a bit while they spun it on the balancing machine. It's your money, tell them you don't want a tire that does that or one that requires excess weight.

Thanks again elmariachi, as I have gone through the process of buying a LC, I really started to realize all the little things that I have taken for granted before. I am getting the tires at Discount and they are really good people. We are negotiating on price (hard to believe) and how much they will give me for the old tires. I'll make sure they are aware of my expectations in advance. Thanks again.

Ross

Any more than 6 ounces warrants road-force ballancing to see if the tire can be rotated on the wheel to reduce the ammount of weight required.

D-

My experience with 4 sets of BFGs is that if they don't balance correctly right off the shelf, drive them for a week or 2 and then take them back in. They seem to not like sitting around idle and get flat spots or the like. This has even shown up on my wifes winter tires when they have been off all summer and then remounted in the fall. Those first couple of weeks can give some pretty bad vibrations on the highway until they work themselves round again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom