Exaust flange leak..best way to repair! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

This is a generic question...I have a leak at the point where two flanges meet in the cat converter area. These two flanges are held together by two nuts/bolts with a gasket material sandwiched in the middle. This is NOT an OEM flange BTW. Problem is that over time, the two flanges developed a little bow in the middle. This is due to the nuts/bolts located on the ears of the flange and tightening over the years. Consequently, a leak has developed on top and bottom of the mating areas. Toyota does a better job with their flanges then aftermarket flanges.

I'd like to hear what some of you folks are doing to sovle this issue on the 40/60/80 and other vehicles. Are you making the gasket "thicker" in the areas where the two flanges don't mate well with some kind of goo? If you're using a goo type of stuff, what is this board's favorite? Since removal of the flanges aren't that easy, are there any other type of stop gap measures that I should be thinking of? Is there a clever way to bend the flanges back so that they're perfectly straight again (on the vehicle)? There isn't too much room to heat and bend I'm afraid.

Are there any aftermarket gaskets that is better suited for this area? I'm currently doubled up on the gaskets but the leak is still there. Perhaps, if I double up on the gaskets only in the problem areas and not in the ears? Maybe I can convert this flange area to a Toyota flange...

Thanks.

Ali

I don't have any aftermarket flanges on my cruiser, but on my Bronco I had the joy of an exhaust system that the PO put together out of hot rod stuff. Had dozen's of the flat 2/3 bolt flanges that you are describing in the system. After fighting with leaks for a year, I cut all the crappy 2/3 bolt flanges off and welded on factory flanges. Now, whenever it comes time to do an exhaust project it's off to the JY with the battery sawzall to get a bunch of factory flanges. IMHO, it's either factory flanges or slip fit.

I'm leaning toward getting some factory flange as well. They have the best fit and I already have an extra gasket! I'll see if CDan can get these for me.

I had a bad factory flange between the two cats from hanging the truck up. I tried several gaskets but nothing lasted for more than a month. Tried bending it straight but that didn't work either. I considered getting it welded together but eventually I went with a Borla catback and new rear converter from Discount Converters. Now the cats don't leak anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom