Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everything makes sense now, I was so confused. It's funny how we refer to different parts from place to place. I part timed mine with the MarksAdapters kit but used Aisin hubs instead of the AVMs he supplies. Apparently the AVMs even being heavy duty aren't as strong as Aisins.
I actually prefered the way it drove prior to converting away from fulltime. Took a mates part timed 80 for a drive before converting and it felt nice and more car-like then mine does but my springs are much much softer. I guess we can't win them all.

I was considering part timing mine but I just can't justify the money, time and effort unless someone can convince me otherwise of course

The only real benefit is for the wheeler who wants to be able to unlock the front in the case of a broken birf and limp home. No real MPG / power gain. And if your running a chrome Molly front end it will reduce the wear on your front axle to and from the trail.

In my case it was a couple fold, the VC was froze up and causing some serious driveline bind, once removed the "clunk" going from front to back got much more noticeable. Then Currin decided to sell his 80 and the new buyer didn't "want" Bobby Longfields and the aisin hubs, since I had already planned a front axle rebuild everything seemed to just fall into place to go PT so this spool is my last step in the process.

I was considering part timing mine but I just can't justify the money, time and effort unless someone can convince me otherwise of course

You shouldn't need to be convinced :) If you've got 4" of lift or more your front driveshaft isn't gonna be happy and you'll get lots of vibrations and rumbles. The remedy is a double cardan driveshaft - if you're inclined to keep fulltime 4WD. I think a DC shaft is stupid and expensive. I think it's stupid because I live in CA where it rains like 4 days out of the year and it doesn't snow where I live. So I have zero need for fulltime 4WD. I think the price is silly too because I can convert it to part-time for the price of a DC shaft. $200ish for the hubs and $325 for the Lokka spool.

So in my situation I'm going part-time for 2 reasons; get rid of the front driveshaft vibrations and save wear & tear on the front end as I'm running chromoly birfs. If you live in an area where it's important to have fulltime 4WD then you'll most likely want to go with a DC shaft.

Whats with all the double posts lately?? It's happened to me like 10 times....

Jose your welds are looking better and better, you start on tackin up that front bumper kit from Luke yet?

I know right! Take lots of pics of the build as mine is in the mail :)

Jose your welds are looking better and better, you start on tackin up that front bumper kit from Luke yet?

Thanks! I did start a little bit last weekend. Posted this a few days ago. Just got the winch plate done so far. Hope to make more progress this weekend

Wm6227Ph.jpg

In looking at your front end, I'm thinking that AC can is going to have to tuck up higher. Everything below that light is pretty much going to be exposed.

In looking at your front end, I'm thinking that AC can is going to have to tuck up higher. Everything below that light is pretty much going to be exposed.

Yeah I saw that when I was mocking up the wing. Since the turn signals will be blocked I'm thinking of blacking them out then cut the back half off the driver's side light. That will let me tuck the dryer up higher. Right now it's as high as it can with the turn signal in the way.

I'll then run the turn signal wiring to a different light in front of the bumper :)

You shouldn't need to be convinced :) If you've got 4" of lift or more your front driveshaft isn't gonna be happy and you'll get lots of vibrations and rumbles. The remedy is a double cardan driveshaft - if you're inclined to keep fulltime 4WD. I think a DC shaft is stupid and expensive. I think it's stupid because I live in CA where it rains like 4 days out of the year and it doesn't snow where I live. So I have zero need for fulltime 4WD. I think the price is silly too because I can convert it to part-time for the price of a DC shaft. $200ish for the hubs and $325 for the Lokka spool.

So in my situation I'm going part-time for 2 reasons; get rid of the front driveshaft vibrations and save wear & tear on the front end as I'm running chromoly birfs. If you live in an area where it's important to have fulltime 4WD then you'll most likely want to go with a DC shaft.

^This^
The remedy DC driveshaft fix does not always work in getting rid of your vibs

Also add steering on tight trails in 2wd is a joy.

You see I am only 2" lifted (read 3" because anything over 2" is illegal here and my story for the cops is its a HD 2" and im sticking to it) and don't have any drive shaft issues yet (touch wood) I do however drive on a fair few dirt roads and I find it handles nicely with the full time AWD so for me to spend the $500ish dollars on part timing it i just don't see the benefits for me. But thanks for that bit of info just means i know a bit more than i did this morning :)

Thanks! I did start a little bit last weekend. Posted this a few days ago. Just got the winch plate done so far. Hope to make more progress this weekend

Wm6227Ph.jpg

Once you bolt on the bumper wing do you cut away the exposed core support behind and below the turn signals?

Wm6227Ph.jpg
What is the measurement from the grill to the face of the winch fairlead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom