Everything I Ever Learned About Importing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was not aware the B or H engines were ever EPA approved. What do the RI docs prove? I'm confused :D

Steve

zander said:
There is no smog requirement in California on diesels. BUT the engine has to have been EPA approved the year it was manufactured and that is what the RI docs prove.

cruiser_guy said:
p.p.s. Does anyone know the routine for importing a non-USA/Canada vehicle that is more than 25 years old (like the '67 FJ45LV that I will be restoring)?

AFAIK there's no provions that mandate any sort of paperwork other than proof of ownership on vehicle that are 25 yrs or older here in the states. In other words bring what you want in.

:beer: :beer:

I MADE IT!! To Maryland, that is. Brought my BJ74 across in WA state with my temporary work visa in hand. I asked the border guards about the temporary importation documents, "I wouldn't really worry about that.", was their response. They wrote me up one anyway, but they didn't seem to give a crap either way.

The RHD thing in Maryland turns out to be BS in the end (already saw several RHD landrovers here, and a RHD cherokee), the inspection mechanics I talked to said that the inspection only states whether the steering is working properly, not what side it is on, no emission standards on diesel here either. Three months here, and the state troopers don't seem to give me a second look. I kept my BC plates and insurance, having the policy written as "out of province".

The question is: How much trouble will it be to title/license this thing if I decide to stay here? There is an importer right up the road from me, I am going to converse with them at lentgh to see what my options are. I will post any pertinent points from this discourse at a later date. I'm hoping that there is a way I can "fall through the cracks", and just go about my business.

What I hear a lot of: "Do y'all drive on the other side of the road in Canader?", "Yes, yes we do, be carefull if you ever visit up there.":)

Chang-kuao-lo said:
The question is: How much trouble will it be to title/license this thing if I decide to stay here? There is an importer right up the road from me, I am going to converse with them at lentgh to see what my options are. I will post any pertinent points from this discourse at a later date. I'm hoping that there is a way I can "fall through the cracks", and just go about my business.

What I hear a lot of: "Do y'all drive on the other side of the road in Canader?", "Yes, yes we do, be carefull if you ever visit up there.":)

That's great! I guess there's a lot of folks around there who've never visited Canada, eh? I'd like to see a photo of your rig, including the skull shifter. If you want to "fall through the cracks", how about keeping your truck registered in Canada until 2010, at which time you can legally register in US without the use of an importer? As I understand it, if your BJ was originally sold in Canada, you'd have no problem getting it titled in US right now. If not originally sold in Canada, then you may have a problem.

How about importing a vehicle from Mexico? Has anyone had that experience? It seems that there are rules for canadian vehicles, but what about vehicles from mexico? Nafta?

Kelly

Why import from Mexico? There were NO Land Cruiser's ever imported officially into Mexico as far as I know.

theSherpa said:
I was not aware the B or H engines were ever EPA approved. What do the RI docs prove? I'm confused :D

Steve
Interestingly the docs do prove that those engine were approved for those years...

cruiser_guy said:
p.p.s. Does anyone know the routine for importing a non-USA/Canada vehicle that is more than 25 years old (like the '67 FJ45LV that I will be restoring)?
Go to the Natl. Highway Traffic Safety Adim. website www.nhtsa.dot.gov and find the form you need to import what they call a "nonconforming motor vehicle". There's a place on the form to check if the vehicle is 25 years old or more.

After reading through all 4 pages of this thread, it is leaving me somewhat dazed and confused.

I really want a 80 series LC with a diesel and a 5-speed, so the rig I want is a HDJ-80 right?

Now from reading around on this board, people are starting to bring those into Canada from Japan.

Now my question is: Can you LEGALLY bring those into the US from CA and register them?

Otherwise it looks like my only option is to swap in the 1HD-T and 5-spd. Which I wouldnt mind doing but the cost to import one as opposed to do the swap would probably come out as a wash, so it would just be easier to import one if at all possible.

Thanks

the cost will be close to the same when you take into consideration you are supplying the base unit. one advantage is you know your truck and what is right/wrong with it and another advantage is your truck is already titled in the states and is LHD.
we are working on getting the HDJ81s legal into the states but at this time we are only offering conversions...
cheers

Toyota Land-cruiser LJ-73 (diesel)

How hard is it to import the Toyota LJ-73 vehicle into the US (late 80's diesel). Will importers tell me that this vehicle complies with all applicable U.S. Federal motor vehicle safety standards? If not will it be hard to comply?

I am a TX dealer and wonder what would happen if I simply put a dealer metal plate on the cruiser. Insurance and safety inspections could be a problem but I can research that from Texas. Any help would be appreciated. Believe me no one from TX knows anything about importing cars from Canada. I believe this car came from Belgium, might complicate things even more.

cici, what kind of VIN does the truck have? If it's a 17-character VIN, I'm pretty sure you're gonna be in luck. Depending on your insurance company, you just call them, give them the VIN and ask them to add the vehicle to the policy. Don't get real specific about the vehicle beyond telling them it's a Toyota Land Cruiser, and the model year (they don't need the model designation, etc.). Because the truck is a diesel, it will only be safety inspected and not emissions inspected here in Texas. I'd advise you to get the insurance, put on the dealer plate, then go get it inspecte--all in that order.

Would it be possible for someone to import my troopie in the US?

It has a 17 digit-VIN, is a 1986 diesel with a 3B... AND it is for sale.

dealer plates, these make the world a nicer place when playing with cool imported cruisers...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom