Everything I Ever Learned About Importing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am told it was a Canada spec vehicle
but no such sticker, I would love to see
An example if one exists.
The vin also seems to not come up on Toyota
US or Canadian databases.
Although it certainly looks authentic
And has the fmvss plate on door jamb
I'm open to ideas...,

I'm open to ideas...,

I am afraid therein lies your problem. If the VIN does not come up in the US or Canada, there is something very fishy with it. I'll take pics of the sticker I am talking about on the weekend and post them.
cheers,
jan

I'm open to ideas...,

if you want to pm me the vin i can check it out for you to see if it is a valid vin for another market.

Followup
After getting the letter from dmv asking for the "toyota" letter

I called DMV Technical Compliance division to clarify that it does indeed have a plate stating it meets FMVSS...BUT. BUT...
it is exempt based on federal import guidelines AND the California DMV website http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch12/ch12_15.htm
my understanding, like many here was that it (my 1984) is entitled to a 25year FMVSS exemption and 21 EPA exemption..
after I cited their own website, the agent left the line and 3 minutes later came back and told me to "disregard" the letter......
I pressed and asked if "Was I correct in my understanding"....
He then told me again in a "you're not going to get me to admit it tone"..You can disregard the letter....

A small but significant accomplishment...
as with all things DMV..YMMV

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I need some help. My stories long so I'll make it as quick as possible.

I am currently in the United Kingdom and plan on immigrating to the US (Florida) in the summer. I plan on taking my Toyota Landcruiser 90 series (Known as colorado or Prado). It is a Diesel and is 17 years old.

Due to me immigrating (I have got a Green card) I am allowed to take a vehicle over there for one year as a personal item I believe and will be able to drive it on the roads there for one year only. After this they say I will have to export it back, but I don't want that...

I want to keep it there permately. I've read a lot of information from a few threads and I think it should be possible but want some views on this. My cruiser has DOT requirements for most parts, including glass, and has KM on the dash. It also has two front airbags. I've heard it has to have strong beams, I'm not sure on this? It's RHD.

I'm going to florida and apparently it's the easiest state to register a car so that's lucky, is that true? Since this 90 series cruiser didn't sell in the US, is it possible to trick the registration people and say it's a 80 series Landcruiser instead as that was sold over there? If that fails, can it actually be registered for what it is? And if that fails can I say that I built the car there from parts and it's a "homebuilt" car and register it like that?

Considering I'll have a year to drive the vehicle there, I presume it'll provide me with a lot of time to get it registered meanwhile? Lastly, is the insurance massively more expensive for RHD vehicles?

Appreciate anyone's help! Thanks

No you won't be able to trick them. When you try, they will impound your vehicle and crush it. There's no way around it, you won't be able to legally import the vehicle to the US.

http://youtu.be/mzBFwFos-o0

Read through the posts, thank you zander and Docfranco for your comments. I recently imported a 1981 BJ42 from Australia, thought I did my homework and I was waiting for my California title/plates from Sacramento when yesterday I received a letter from the California DMV technical compliance division asking for the infamous Toyota letter. After my discussions with the local DMV here in Santa Rosa I understood that I could use the 25-year DOT and 21-year EPA exemptions, but it seems not.

Has anyone brought a diesel Cruiser into California recently and dealt with this? I have a feeling dealing with the California ARB is going to be a very expensive process, so any ideas/tips on this front would be appreciated. Maybe I'll just call the number provided on the letter and plead my case when the DMV opens on Monday...

After four months and countless hours on the phone with Toyota, the DMV, CARB and the DMV director's office I eventually did get the rig registered. But I would never do it again. In October, 2013 the CARB changed the way they deal with vehicles coming into California from out of state, whether it's already titled in the US or an import from out of the country. If it's a diesel vehicle it's almost impossible to get them registered now, as the CARB does not provide a way in which to have diesel imports tested. The change in rules by the CARB is not something that's been broadly disseminated within the California DMV, so you may even go to a local DMV office and be told that you can register your vehicle, only to have the application denied by Sacramento when you finally go through the process (what happened to me).

Lots of fantastic info here. However my situation is a bit unique.
I have purchased a 1977 BJ40 here in Costa Rica and I am looking to bring home to Canada. I know I'm exempt from transport Canada's regulations.
But will I need to do a E test at customs? Also I have a notorized bill of sale and ownership in my name. However I only have the short VIN on my chassis. There is no ViN plate on the body. They are the same VIN but I only have the one. Is this a problem? And does the fact that it is Diesel make things harder to register and insure? Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows a good importer for Canada I'm searching.

Last edited:
After four months and countless hours on the phone with Toyota, the DMV, CARB and the DMV director's office I eventually did get the rig registered. But I would never do it again. In October, 2013 the CARB changed the way they deal with vehicles coming into California from out of state, whether it's already titled in the US or an import from out of the country. If it's a diesel vehicle it's almost impossible to get them registered now, as the CARB does not provide a way in which to have diesel imports tested. The change in rules by the CARB is not something that's been broadly disseminated within the California DMV, so you may even go to a local DMV office and be told that you can register your vehicle, only to have the application denied by Sacramento when you finally go through the process (what happened to me).
Pink Lemon, I was lead to believe the same from others, including importers, that the car can be registered in another state and then brought into CA or even brought in directly once it cleared customs in another state. Your case says "No." I was wondering what made the difference in why you were finally able to get it registered in CA? Was it just someone's sympathy for your cause or is there actually a legal way to do it? That's ridiculous that CA thinks its so exceptional. Thanks for any info you can give me because I was planning to do what you did.

This may be outside the import of a vehicle but I am looking for some guidance from people in the know.

I am about to import a '06 1KD-FTV engine from Australia. Engine only, partially assembled...head, block)
Do I need a certificate of conformity if the engine is an '06 diesel in a crate and not a chassis?
What does the EPA or Customs consider an incomplete engine or parts of an assembled engine?
What are the suggestions for importing a diesel engine that (to my knowledge) never offered in highway use vehicles?

If this 10 page thread covers this, I will go back and read more.

thank you

Sounds dicey imho. What year vehicle are you putting it in?

What sounds dicey? It's going in my 88 4Runner.

well...obviously my word is not worth squat here....eh?

read: IF THE VEHICLE IS 25 YEARS OR OLDER IT IS EXEMPT FROM DOT & EPA!

why don't you guys who don't believe me simply go educate yourself instead of asking on a forum and waiting for a person to reply who you do believe. In 2-4 hours of reading, making phone calls and the like you will have the solution provided by US Customs. :idea:
I like everything you say but the v8 stuff. Diesel is king.

I like everything you say but the v8 stuff. Diesel is king.

Yikes that is an old post, I didn't even recall the discussion!

Everybody seems to know about the 25yr rule nowadays.

The v8 thing is personal preference. If you have never tried one I think it is hard to say beyond that. I am a fan of diesels as well, owned a few and will own more!

Cheers

Yikes that is an old post, I didn't even recall the discussion!

Everybody seems to know about the 25yr rule nowadays.

The v8 thing is personal preference. If you have never tried one I think it is hard to say beyond that. I am a fan of diesels as well, owned a few and will own more!

Cheers
I just realized toyota makes a v8 diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom