Builds ERG80's 1997 T100 SR5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The truck is still running amazingly well. Im thinking about wiring the aux lights to the high beams instead of an independent switch. Does anyone have experience doing this with a t100? Any advice?

The truck is still running amazingly well. Im thinking about wiring the aux lights to the high beams instead of an independent switch. Does anyone have experience doing this with a t100? Any advice?

Not on the T100, but this should work equally well for the T100 as the 80. On my T100 I just used a generic toyota light switch to drive a relay for the hellas. On the 80, I got ambitious a few years back and decided to re-purpose a rear heater switch. The rear heater switch has two settings and a center off position. This gives me an option to turn on the driving lights independently via the left position and links them to the high beams via the right position. This is where it gets a little weird. Toyota used a switched ground for the heater switch so if you want the LED indicators in the switch to work (green for high beam connection and orange for "On") you'll have to wire things a little backwards. If need be, I can draw up a diagram but the long and short of it is to run two relays with main power coming straight from the battery to the relay and then output power to the lights. Then run signal power for the orange side(I used an ignition switched source but you can use standard battery power if you want.) I wanted to make sure the lights couldn't work without the ignition on...YMMV. Then run the relay ground to the heater switch. Now run the signal power for the green side from the high beam wire for the headlights--you can tap into the high beam headlight relay here if you prefer that to a vampire connector. Then run the relay ground to the green side of the heater switch. The switch will need the two ground wires from the relays and a ground wire for the switch itself. It will also need a power source for the internal illumination bulb--best to tap into an adjacent switch so that it will dim with the dim controls.

This may be able to be accomplished with one relay, but it will need to have an extra couple connectors to keep things from backfeeding. I had the standard relays laying around so I used them. Take a look at the 80 series forum for instructions on re-labeling the switch.
SWITCH RELABLES- printable single sheet

Hope that helps,

Dan

Amazing. I hadn't even thought of using a rear heater switch. I really like the freedom of being able to turn on the lights with the truck off at camp sites and such which is why I wired them that way originally. This is he best of both worlds. Thanks so much!
Not on the T100, but this should work equally well for the T100 as the 80. On my T100 I just used a generic toyota light switch to drive a relay for the hellas. On the 80, I got ambitious a few years back and decided to re-purpose a rear heater switch. The rear heater switch has two settings and a center off position. This gives me an option to turn on the driving lights independently via the left position and links them to the high beams via the right position. This is where it gets a little weird. Toyota used a switched ground for the heater switch so if you want the LED indicators in the switch to work (green for high beam connection and orange for "On") you'll have to wire things a little backwards. If need be, I can draw up a diagram but the long and short of it is to run two relays with main power coming straight from the battery to the relay and then output power to the lights. Then run signal power for the orange side(I used an ignition switched source but you can use standard battery power if you want.) I wanted to make sure the lights couldn't work without the ignition on...YMMV. Then run the relay ground to the heater switch. Now run the signal power for the green side from the high beam wire for the headlights--you can tap into the high beam headlight relay here if you prefer that to a vampire connector. Then run the relay ground to the green side of the heater switch. The switch will need the two ground wires from the relays and a ground wire for the switch itself. It will also need a power source for the internal illumination bulb--best to tap into an adjacent switch so that it will dim with the dim controls.

This may be able to be accomplished with one relay, but it will need to have an extra couple connectors to keep things from backfeeding. I had the standard relays laying around so I used them. Take a look at the 80 series forum for instructions on re-labeling the switch.
SWITCH RELABLES- printable single sheet

Hope that helps,

Dan

Not sure if this helps but here are a few pics and other ideas. Here is the relabeled switch with indicators on.
IMG_20180128_140939633.jpg
IMG_20180128_140932286.jpg

IMG_20180128_141007654.jpg

I think you can remove and re-orient the hi and lo stickers to suit the vertical placement in the T100. If not, here are a couple more options that work with vertical orientation.
2nd start\power switch and 4runner rear heater switch. I think the 4runner heater switch doesn't have a light but I am not sure.
IMG_20180128_141548263.jpg
IMG_20180128_141416294.jpg

Also. As I have thought more about this, I seem to remember an issue with tapping into the dash dimmer circuit. It may be another switched ground type thing where the ground for the back light goes through the dimmer control but I am not sure. If need be I can take a look at my wiring and give a positive answer.

I have an old 2nd start switch but I think it's broken. A long time ago I tried taking it apart and making a two button momentary switch for a garage door opener but things didn't go well.

I really like the rear heater switch.Thanks for the link and taking the time to type the instructions. I need to find some time to tinker around with it but I think that it will be perfect.

Also. As I have thought more about this, I seem to remember an issue with tapping into the dash dimmer circuit. It may be another switched ground type thing where the ground for the back light goes through the dimmer control but I am not sure. If need be I can take a look at my wiring and give a positive answer.

Rear heater switch pin out

This may also be helpful if you didn't find it already.

The t100 still amazes me. Still no issues and I've been hauling trailers full of stuff lately. I love this truck.

The truck has 278000 miles and just helped move our family closer to "home". hopefully it will see more local adventures hauling kayaks and camping.

The T100 hauled kayaks for our first adventure since moving home. Two tandem kayaks and a single seater. Light duty for the old truck.

IMG_3049.JPG

The seats still look really good in the truck and I want to keep them that way so I bought some used covers to expirement with. These are for a fzj80 with electric seats but look like they may fit pretty well on my manual buckets. The biggest issue is a t100 headrest is taller and narrower than an 80 but I think I can make it work.

162F0AED-B1C6-4D9B-8253-7E1D247D05A6.jpeg

These are gt seat covers. They’re not perfect but still fit pretty well. I have some additional adjustments to make but overall they’re awesome. I switched the seat bottoms around so the power seat opening faces in. There’s even a cutout for the lumbar lever.

4900A4F8-5982-410B-BD75-7B2A52BC1E3C.jpeg

A4E4C55B-42C1-472D-9111-BFA63AB47D42.jpeg

7E1DC262-66AC-4A9B-8ADA-AF74117B3A08.jpeg

0B336DE3-3A9F-4FEB-A18A-A5D049B38C23.jpeg

The t100 is still going strong. I used it to haul materials to build a privacy fence at home and My dad has been using it to haul his bike around so I’ve been mostly been driving the 80. I took the truck back today, loaded up kayaks, and packed to do a little creek fishing before my friend heads out to “hike” the Appalachian trail. Lucky plick leaves next week. He ends up fishing along the trail as much as hiking and sends pictures of all the places and fish. Lucky!

I’ve had some red covers in the rear aux light for a while but tonight I was able to test them. One of the covers was bumped off at some point so I have one red and one without a red filter. When we were loading the kayaks after the trip the bugs were flying all over and around the uncoveeed Light but seemed uninterested in the light with red filter. Pretty cool. I’ve ordered another red filter to see what the bugs are like with two red lights.

01B6AE6B-A5CB-48FC-B13D-D1EAB82F10D1.jpeg

Truck has been on lowe’s Duty helping get materials for an addition to the privacy fence and other projects around the house. Unfortunately no adventures. :-( I’ll have to change that hopefully soon.

Today I replaced the driver’s side door handle. Pretty easy repair. I found this video helpful.

Trucks look great, those headlights look like crap;) I got a buffing kit years ago and buffed mine up, used some finer buffing/cutting compound to really make em glossy. The kit was some scotchbrite looking discs with a cutting compound in them, you just got them wet and went after it with a drill. It worked great. When I was done I got some extra thick 3M paint protector sheet and put over them when I did front end of the hood and fenders with the same stuff, just a thinner mil.

My lights held up great after that, they had some fine crystaline cracks deep in the plastic, but the haze never returned. Sadly both housings were destroyed enough after I hit a deer years ago, that I had to replace them with some ebay aftermarkets. The Toyota ones were just too crazy expensive to justify. They have been good haze wise so far, but the light pattern sucks compared to the OEM lenses. I went from loving the headlights in my T100, to really disliking the light distribution.

Trucks look great, those headlights look like crap;) I got a buffing kit years ago and buffed mine up, used some finer buffing/cutting compound to really make em glossy. The kit was some scotchbrite looking discs with a cutting compound in them, you just got them wet and went after it with a drill. It worked great. When I was done I got some extra thick 3M paint protector sheet and put over them when I did front end of the hood and fenders with the same stuff, just a thinner mil.

My lights held up great after that, they had some fine crystaline cracks deep in the plastic, but the haze never returned. Sadly both housings were destroyed enough after I hit a deer years ago, that I had to replace them with some ebay aftermarkets. The Toyota ones were just too crazy expensive to justify. They have been good haze wise so far, but the light pattern sucks compared to the OEM lenses. I went from loving the headlights in my T100, to really disliking the light distribution.

The lights look even worse in person. I hope to get to them later this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom