Engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a new and proud owner of a 1984 FJ60. It's my daily driver and I like the 4.2 engine but I don't love the millage and the problems that I get here and there.. I understand that the 4.2 has style and I love that! Is there a way to make that engine reliable enough so I don't have these pop up problems? I also don't mind spending the money on making it a reliable daily driver that gets over 10mpg using a different engine?

Thank you for taking your timeout of your day to answer any questions that I have. Cheers

Lots of users here plugging along on stock motors without any issues, so you'll have to be a bit more specific about what engine trouble you're having.

the only engines I like more than the 2F is the 3F/E and the 22 RE. if you have some cash, maybe a diesel swap would be the ticket...alot of guys do SCB v8s, but these rigs are supposed to have straight6ers in em...the operative word here is cruiser...sounds like your rig needs some attention. you should be able to get about 14 MPG. you'll need to get then engine and accessories into good enough health that you can rely on it. my fj62 is our daily driver. And I used to commute an old fj55 for 100 miles and 8000 feet round trip daily. both rigs have straight sixers and neither has left me stranded needing a tow...

No real problems at the moment but I feel like my wagon is in the shop every other month. I was thinking about putting a different motor in it for better mileage and power.

No real problems at the moment but I feel like my wagon is in the shop every other month. I was thinking about putting a different motor in it for better mileage and power.

Sounds like you need to start turning your own wrenches. Start reading and learn how to diagnose issues. You fixing something on a weekend or at night is a lot cheaper than dropping it to a shop once a month. A newer motor won't fix everything. It's still an old truck and will have things go wrong and will still need to go to the shop, unless you start doing things yourself.

I think the best decision I ever made was getting a second vehicle. I have been pretty much "daily driving" land cruisers for the last 5 years. It's great. But it's nice to know that WHEN something goes wrong or needs attention I can fix it at a leisurely pace and do it right. I don't have to scramble to get it done for work the next day.

The 2f is ridiculously simple and reliable. However, it's old. It needs things replaced or they will fail on you. You need to learn how to do basic repair type stuff if you want to daily drive an old vehicle or you need to have lots of money and patience to pay someone else

Sounds like you need to start turning your own wrenches. Start reading and learn how to diagnose issues. You fixing something on a weekend or at night is a lot cheaper than dropping it to a shop once a month. A newer motor won't fix everything. It's still an old truck and will have things go wrong and will still need to go to the shop, unless you start doing things yourself.
This. Time to pick up the FSMs, see my sig line, and turn your own wrench. If you feel that you are in the shop once a month give us a low down on what you have been fixing. From there we can give you some other "while your in there" fixes that wil make life easier.

Most of all you should start by base lining your truck; change all fluids, change brake pads/shoes, do belts, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and tune carb. From there wash the engine real good so you can identify any leaks, check hoses and replace what is needed. These trucks will run pretty much not matter what so you can be fooled that because it is running decently that nothing is up. Just take your time, do research on here and buy OEM from the guys here that sell the parts whenever possible.

Just had Tor swap out my 2f on an '86 2 months ago to a 5.3 Vortec with a ZO6 cam. I definitely get better milage and the performance is X 10 but not thrilled with the milage. Have about 2K on this rig since the swap and average 12.5mpg in town and best I can do highway is 14.6 mpg. I feel like I am driving a 2003 Sierra pick up.......guess where the motor came from.....It has 67K miles on it and the fact I can't keep my foot out of it may reflect the milage but overall absolutely thrilled with the swap. Tor makes it look like a factory motor that actually belongs in the 60. Custom fan shroud, custom cold air intake and little things that make the conversion very professional looking and feeling...Can't imagine doing a Vortec swap for the mileage...never justify it economically but the fun factor is priceless!!

This. Time to pick up the FSMs, see my sig line, and turn your own wrench. If you feel that you are in the shop once a month give us a low down on what you have been fixing. From there we can give you some other "while your in there" fixes that wil make life easier.

Most of all you should start by base lining your truck; change all fluids, change brake pads/shoes, do belts, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and tune carb. From there wash the engine real good so you can identify any leaks, check hoses and replace what is needed. These trucks will run pretty much not matter what so you can be fooled that because it is running decently that nothing is up. Just take your time, do research on here and buy OEM from the guys here that sell the parts whenever possible.

So far I've replaced the power steering pump, most of the hoses, replaced the break pads and fixed the drum breaks. The engine was rebuilt about 40,000 miles ago. The next thing I need to do is tackle the vac times because I have a few that are missing or disconnected because I have a bad ERG valve. I agree that I need to start working on my own truck and already bought a manual. I will replace all the fluids the next time I have it in the shop for something that I can't do my self.

My FJ60 on 33's got as good as 15mpg (verified by GPS) on the highway for long trips. I think no matter what engine you put in (except diesel), you're probably not going to do any better than 17mpg highway, and that's being pretty optimistic. If fuel economy is your motivation, I don't think you'll be satisfied with an engine swap. Minor improvement for major dollars.

However if your motivation is more for "fun factor," it may well be worth the money to you.

FWIW my 2f 60 got 15mpg on a really good day, my TBI 350 62 got 12mpg on a really good day. They actually aren't too bad once they're in a good state of tune :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom